It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold will be worthless in a SHTF scenario

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by paraphi

We have to gain the respect of those in our local communities. We should build up our communities so they can tolerate a SHTF scenario working with all citizens to create local security. Then we will be able to help other communities if we have excess food production capabilities. Buy from local farmers, don't put your full faith in the way things are.

Star4u, couldn't agree more. IMO, that is why it is if at all possible, to abide in smaller communities which will make everyone strong and the group completely capable.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Gold will make a nice bait for traps to lure / keep looters away from your basecamp

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
With the possible exception of an all out Nuclear War or Yellowstone erupting or the Earth Magnetic Field failing...at least where I live...Mass. U.S.A....I have an organic garden that can feed me...my family...the neighbors and I donate a large amount to the local food bank. This is after my canning is done and freezing.

The United States is the Worlds Food or Bread Basket. We have the largest areas of temperate climate good soil geographicly located for water supplies and storms...Growing Areas in the World. The U.S. grows more food than any other country and if the government didn't actually PAY FARMERS NOT TO GROW CROPS....the U.S. would grow more plant and animal food for humans than all the Earths countries put together.

My Organic Garden is an example of this....I grow a huge variety of fruit and vegetables and my secret is not only having a large Bonfire of all the prunings from the year in the center of the garden...spread the ashes...use peletized lime to balance the PH level...New England soil is notoriously acidic....and dump all the grass cuttings and spread them over the whole garden after the garden has been Rototilled. The Grass adds Nitrogen and other nutrients and I plant through it...the grass also increases soil temp. as it decomposses so it not only help prevent weed growth since my garden uses no weed killer or pesticides but helps with the warmth...alllow the plants such as tomatos and eggplants, Green and Yellow Beans, Cucumbers, Peppers of all kinds, Radishes, all types of Lettuce, various squash, just about everything including fruits like 7 different types of apples, pears, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Plums a Lemon Tree and Orange Tree and small Lime that I keep in the atrium during winter, Currents or Gooseberries...very good! Point is...although I do not breed animals...I can Hunt and am very good at it although I have not gone in a while. In the U.S. at least...food would not be an issue...GOLD however would be needed to rebuild society first as a sourse of Money or Gold Standard for printing Money....then it's REAL NEEDED USE...High Tech. Electronics. Split Infinity

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by allprowolfy
You my friend are as naive as they come, a ounce of gold will give you a loaf of bread, and shall always. Gold through history has always been the top trade of choice.

Like I said top trade of choice, however, think what you will, as a naive man, "saves his caps for a better day."

Naive is all on your side. I used to believe in the gold nonsense also. It is a DELUSION OF WEALTH. It is a SHINY ROCK.

Get it? A SHINY ROCK!

Hard to break the delusion isnt it? Heartbreaking, I know.

I'd rather own a roll of TOILET PAPER over a ton of gold in a SHTF situation!

Who in their right mind will trade their food, ammo, or TOILET PAPER for your SHINY ROCK in a SHTF situation? Only a DELUSIONAL IDIOT!! A delusional idiot who will eventually STARVE from their stupidity. But I guess they will have lots of SHINY ROCKS to make their grave-stone with!

edit on 30-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

I had this same argument with someone before. If you trade gold for something that is needed in a SHTF situation then you might as well keep and use the item you want to trade for gold! Gold serves no purpose if all you can do is look at it. Gold is only worth what someone will give you. If the system has fallen then money and gold is worthless. If you got a silver coin around go down and test it out for yourself. The bank won't give you anything they will refer you a pawn/coin collector. So you take that coin to a pawn broker and guess what? he'll give you 10 bucks for an ounce of silver that you probably payed 40 for. Or he won't give you spot price for it. Oh they will sell you the gold and silver for sky high prices, but when it comes to buying back, good luck with that one!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

i think we've been over this, on ATS things have to be repeated a million times!! heres a n earlier post from this thread. your talking about teotwawki not a shtf. theres a lot of different kinds of shtf's and for some of them gold/oil/copper/guns/physical things will be worth alot. there are some shtf's like the great depression in 1920 or argentina or russia in 1990 that would make GOLD WORTH ALOT.

and yes when when every major city in the world gets nuked, all distrubtion networks are gone and TEOWAWKI has come, then gold will be useless compared to some good old rice.
but theres alot of subtelties that must be considered

you sirs, have watched one to many movies and played one to many video games.
you should study some HISTORY of shtfs and the many DIFFERENT DEGREES of a SHTF as posted by SilentThundersGF.

if you want a good modern example look at ARGENTINA AND RUSSIA. in 1990's

SITUATION- civil war/ infrastructure collapse
money deflates to 1/5th its value.
robberies and propert crime, kidnappings increase exponentially
groceries stores are still open but lines are an hour long
all money goes to keeping you and your family fed
police are still around to stop looters and are some of the most corrupt people around
national and international trade is ongoing

IN THIS SCENARIO YOUR ONLY USING YOUR GUN A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR!!!
GOLD WILL BE WORTH YOUR DAUGHTER!!!!

I am not one to say this will 100% happen; as opposed to a TEOTWAWKI.
you guys are talking more about a TEOTWAWKI.
there are alot of OTHER SITUATIONS to remember. there are alot of inbetweens. look at the great depression for example.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You can't eat gold, but you can eat Bernanke.

uuuurp!

Why do you think they call it the FED???
edit on 1-4-2012 by Star128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I'm glad to see that you donate your excess to the local foodbank. I wish others would catch on to your practices. Lots of food gets left in the garden that no one needs and this could feed many with healthy foods.

I had two long rows of green beans many years ago and thought I would bring grocery bags of them to work and give them to fellow employees. They wanted me to wash them and prepare them for the freezer for them or didn't want them. They said that the ones in the store were superior to mine because they were commercially grown instead of organic. I plowed them under. My own daughter goes to the store to buy organic lettuce and ours just gets wasted. Our leaf lettuce is organic but she has been led to believe that certified organic is better than plain old Dad grown organic. Our present perceptions of this society has sure screwed people up. People also think that the stuff they buy from stores is worth more than locally grown products. That is far from the truth unless the soils in your area have been poisoned by the floods that have released the toxins accumulated in the dumps we have created or the bad bacteria have been spread by these floods from the big commercial farms and slaughterhouses where the bacteria has become resistant. Don't worry, people can adapt in a few generations.
edit on 2-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You my friend are as naive as they come, a ounce of gold will give you a loaf of bread, and shall always. Gold through history has always been the top trade of choice.

Like I said top trade of choice, however, think what you will, as a naive man, "saves his caps for a better day."

Naive is all on your side. I used to believe in the gold nonsense also. It is a DELUSION OF WEALTH. It is a SHINY ROCK.

Get it? A SHINY ROCK!

Who in their right mind will trade their food, ammo, or TOILET PAPER for your SHINY ROCK in a SHTF situation? Only a DELUSIONAL IDIOT!! A delusional idiot who will eventually STARVE from their stupidity. But I guess they will have lots of SHINY ROCKS to make their grave-stone with!

I disagree. Gold has always maintained worth. During the black plague it maintained worth and per capita that was as close to an appocalyptic scenario we have recorded. The ones who are prepared will take advantage of a very weak gold market. Gold is a shiney rock. You are right. It is a shiney rock that will always have value to someone. In closing dont sell yourself short. Ill give you a whole case of name brand tp and a 3 pack of ivory for your ton of gold. anyday under any situation. AND... I will not be the idiot.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I own a 9mm gun and carbine, and one .22 rifle, those are the 2 most common ammo calibers you will find out there, but I also have ammo in other calibers like .40s&w, .380, 12ga to use as a trading ship.

1 bullet will be more important and have more value than any precious metal, Im also considering buying used cheap guns to trade (jennings, jimenez arms, hipoints) are cheap guns but they will be good for trading for big items that you might need.

If Im in a situation that I only have my handgun and some ammo, I can get whatever I want from others. Others will think like that.

Hunting knifes also will be very important, Im buying several when they get on special at harbor freight :-)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Gold uses are very important in a functioning society, not in a SHTF Scenario, Aluminum will be wirth more that gold for it uses.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Get it? A SHINY ROCK!

And only a delusional idiot would think they would be able to trade anything else either for someone elses supplies period in a scenario that bad. No one will be trading anything at that point they will be hoarding every last crumb. You think someone is going to trade you some supplies for toilet paper when they can wipe their ass with a leave?

I can tell you right now anyone who has put up gold and silver will be more prepared then idiots who think they got it all figured out without thinking things through. They will last longer then most and have a better chance of surviving because they weren't stupid enough to think all they needed was gold and silver and they could just buy anything they needed if TSHTF. They prepared food water shelter and defense etc. first before investing in gold and silver. In fact I have not talked to a single person who has gold and silver who does not advise taking care of the preparation first before buying any gold or silver...

It is amazing the lack ot mental fortitude displayed by some to think things through in any degree of detail rather then just spout all or nothing ridiculous platitudes...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

agree completely. And that helps keep you from making a mistake about how much gold / silver to purchase.

Ask yourself "what is the price of being wrong?"

What is the price of being wrong about the value of gold, either direction in a SHTF situation.

What if you bought gold, and it does turn out to be worthless? How much worthless yellow metal would you be able to stand yourself for having purchased? Would you feel like an idiot if you'd bought an ounce of now worthless metal? 6 oz? A pound????

Conversely, what if you had not bought gold and it's value does explode through the roof, while you have nothing to barter with? Would it bother you??

Your answers can guide you to your own comfort zone as to how much to purchase. Every person's answer will be different. Some will be led to own zero; others will continually buy more.

But if it's in your comfort zone for being wrong, what do you care?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

People should have bought gold when it was six hundred dollars an ounce. I wouldn't buy it at the price it is now. I don't have to worry about buying gold, I don't have the money to invest.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
when the SHTF lead will be of more value than gold, gold is to soft to use as lead nlandempire.craigslist.org/mat/2913681066.html curent price $1.25 LB gold .95 a ton if not less. lead would be $125.00 an ounce. copper could replace gold , it does not foul up your barrel like lead does.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Actually, lead should be worth a lot more, it's getting harder and harder to find good minable deposits. Mercury is getting hard to find too, it will be very expensive some day. They want everyone to recycle the mercury nowadays, they call it toxic disposal but I think they are pulling the wool over our eyes.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

People should have bought gold when it was six hundred dollars an ounce. I wouldn't buy it at the price it is now. I don't have to worry about buying gold, I don't have the money to invest.

I bought at $376

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
As pretty as gold is, who has the authority to deem it worthy and valuable?

Gold is everywhere in our solar system.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."
- Lord Alexander Tyler on the fall of the Athenian republic

Source

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

reply to post by DataWraith

That's impressive, now could you answer the bit about the peanuts and cashews?

The place was full of nuts, peanuts, cashews AND walnuts as well as coconuts and there was a boat load of gentlemans nuts there all full of themselves.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Now that was a wise investment. I don't think it going to drop below that, and I don't even think it will ever go below 600 per oz because of it's supposed rareness. I have no desire for gold but it has more stable value than a dollar bill does and it should have a value comparable to the destruction of the earth it has caused. They are tearing apart mountains to get gold out of them, that has to stop. I think they should be satisfied with what we already have and recycle all the gold out there. Lots of computer parts wound up in the dumps. Lots of metals are in the dumps. In twenty thousand years they will be mining these dumps wondering how a hammer was found in the rock full of various minerals and flakes of gold. Is our future in the past?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Ahhh....It's nice to talk to a man with personal experiences such as yours.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join