It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold will be worthless in a SHTF scenario

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

Well an ounce of Gold is a lot to invest for most people right now. Much cheaper to buy some ammo, meds, etc. to get through. The thing is, after you get through, that gold is going to be at a premium. If you can afford it, buy some.

Trading an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread would cost a pretty penny. I don't even know what an ounce is worth ATM even though I have a decent amount of gold. Umm... OK on oz. of gold is @ $1,668.25 at this moment. Not a good trade for a loaf of bread if you think how well you could leverage that. Most people with the ability to produce food would probably trade a load of bread for a few bottles of aspirin. So my $50 investment would = your $1668.2 investment. SHTF, meds, ammo, guns, basics.

Again, the smart ones will do both. Have a supply for SHTF and after. Gold comes after. 2 steps ahead.

Ugh. Gold is like the housing market. Get it low, hang on to it forever.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Understandable, however, in Rome, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylionian, Gold was always the standard. So yes aweful expensive right now, but has, and always will be the commodity of choice, hands down

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Have any of you actually thought about what a SHTF scenario would be like? If you have food of any description, you will not sell it for worthless, non-life-sustaining gold, silver nor anything else. You will try to keep what you have.

But where is this bread coming from? Who is growing the wheat? Who is milling it? Who is distributing it? Who is procuring the other ingredients to produce it? The yeast? Salt? Sugar? Who is producing energy to bake it? If no one has anything, no one will have anything. You will only have so much ammo. You will only have so much time before you must sleep. Will you be able to trust everyone else in your sphere of friends/family? How much can they take before they crack?

Think about it. There's a lot more at stake than gold, silver, or bread.

What you need with you - and this is all you need - is your wits and your imagination. Without those, you are doomed.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Just like how it was easy to hate George Bush due to his stupid jokes and golf vacations, it will be easy to forget gold once we find out how useless the stuff really is.
Unless it has some secret properties us humans aren't aware of.....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666
reply to post by Drezden

Just like how it was easy to hate George Bush due to his stupid jokes and golf vacations, it will be easy to forget gold once we find out how useless the stuff really is.
Unless it has some secret properties us humans aren't aware of.....

Piece of advice, why do you think this is a prison planet, this world is full of gold, and the peeps who control it, rule it,

Just a small gesture of intelligence, of why gold is king.

if you do not believe me, ;look at how many metric bullion of AU-Gold the people of the world pull from this planet in a given year. It is traded, and is King,guaranteed. Coffee, beans, bullets, tapoons, batteries, all will work, but nothing like gold

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Shoot I would trade supplies for gold depending on the scenario. You want that bottle of aspirin? 2 oz. please. What are you gonna do? Eat it? I'll be sitting pretty when society reforms.

If you don't have much money and are CONVINCED someday that a economic and societal breakdown are imminent then by all means invest in ammo, medical supplies, food, camping equipment and firearms. If you have some (or lots) of extra cash buying gold makes sense for the people who think a few steps ahead.

Society breaks down and gold is worthless. So are your stocks and cash. All those survival supplies are at a premium. Then later, when things start getting back to normal it's a smart bet that gold will still be worth something. Always think a few steps ahead.

If you aren't rich you can't think a few steps ahead in the way you imply. It's nice to know we will have a new class of money barons to shape society after the SHTF to replace the old ones.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
the twilight zone did a good show about gold, titled: the rip van winkle caper

in the story, a group of men steal gold, then hibernate for 100years. the awake to find the world has changed and their gold is worthless.

www.youtube.com...

-subfab

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Shiny rock, huh???
And oil is just black liquid?

Silver is the 2nd most used commodity in world after oil so it allways has value.
But i think the OP should define what is the shtf scenario?.
In economic disaster you should own gold and silver. Just look at history.

But you are right, when it comes to surviving
gold and silver wont save you.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
It depends on what kinda S is hitting the fan. If the economy system goes down or just a 'regular' war then gold will definitely be useful but if something really bad happens, something earth changing then you better stock up on salt, sugar, baby formula and cigarettes for trading - liquids and can food for yourself.

Books will also be important but they are pretty heavy so choose wisely. I've already been through a SHTF scenario so i know the drill, when things stabilize a bit all you're gonna need is a good book to keep you sane and others will gladly be giving you all of their gold (and their newborn
for two cigarettes, so don't forget to stock up even if you don't smoke.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This is a misunderstanding about how currency works. Gold isn't mean to have value in itself, it has value because it's both scarce (it's difficult to counterfeit and it's not abundant in nature) and mobile (you can mint coins, etc.,).

But eventually, with enough commerce, and all things having settled down to where people develop an economy, gold will become the base currency.

However, in emergency situations like this, all bets are off, for everything. Not just currency.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I really think this thread is leading nowhere until OP defines shtf. In economic disaster you cant beat gold and silver as investment.
In a survivial scenario, gold and silver does not help you.

But in my point of view, gold and silver will never be useless. Once the dust settles those holding the metals will be the winners.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Don't assume the only two choices are "SHTF" and "Everything is normal like now." There are many possible middle-ground scenarios. The S could partially HTF, for example. lol.

In many of these middle-ground situations, there would still be a need for trade and commerce. Even if people lost the confidence of paper money, they might still need a medium of exchange. Gold is valuable becuase it is limitied, and universally recognized as precious (even if there is no underlying reason for this to be the case). In many scenarios, there would be a use for gold and silver and other such metals.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
well... when TSHTF i will likely be among the 1st to be doomed... so my gold accumulation ( stocks) is not for the stone-age living, or even a MadMax world... the gold $ i use is constantly recycled here and now

i use the investment profits to purchase stuff i could not afford on my retirement fixed income

i recently had 16 each +40ft pines removed from around the house, as i expect the future here to become a tornado alley and to frequently experience hurricanes
After the trees comes the new roof, plywood sheathing and all,
metal roofing to replace the old tech asphalt shingles
and then the array of 4 separate solar energy collectors, all protected in a faraday cage carport area.
perhaps even rain gutters, directed into a cistern for garden and waste water use.

my past historic gold holdings have afforded me to buy an electric vehicle, pay the annual property taxes, build an additional driveway and bulkheads,
and perhaps get me a deep water well and a pre-packaged green house before winter '12

i will be doing all these things with the LTCG & dividends from owning gold,

you may be quite correct in your analysis that gold will be a dense metal relic when the SHTF,
but in the meantime, with continued good fortune, i can purchase on the dips and redeem on the highs
and accomplish many of the needed preparations which were long overlooked in making this residence a 'bunk house' for the extended family of ours. a preppers refuge, an 'intentional house'...

i am thankful for the speculators who pump up gold then run away from it, then pump up the price again
i hope it falls to $1440. by summer & returns to $1900 by year end
edit on 31-3-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It's a flawed argument. You want BOTH gold and seeds (etc). Just because the metal may be useless in a true doomsday scenario doesn't mean forgetting it for now is a good idea. You are being sucked dry through inflation and keeping precious metals hedges against this so you retain more wealth (silver is a better option here). The metal will always retain value so long as the world has a financial economy. We are a long, long way off losing that and will almost certainly not lose it in our lifetimes. The Elite will do everything in their power to keep the economy going (even if not to the benefit of working people) but the economy will still exist because if it doesn't, they don't exist either.

There has been a lot of remodeling going on through globalization, the key is to try to reverse this and bring manufacturing and protectionism back, then economic conditions will improve for everyone. Never buy foreign goods and try to create value then the bankers will have less power. You don't want to vote in Paul or anyone like him either, his philosophy is strongly opposed to financial borders, and is even worse than neo-liberalism, listen to him criticize fence building and this attitude slips out.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I completely agree. Dehydrated foods, clean water (even though it isn't as complicated to filter water as some may think) and survival knowledge/tools will count for everything in a SHTF situation. A lot of people mention toilet roll, I don't see that as a problem however, there is foliage, rags, old clothing and many other things, like washing your ass in a stream if need be

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There will be ALWAYS richer and poorer people, even during SHTF scenario. And richer people ALWAYS want to show their status. And what's the best solution to underline your richness -of course by having gold necklaces, rings and other jewelry. Jewelry is also a great way to show your individuality, just like different clothing. In SHTF, people could finally be themselves, so there will be strong need for distinctive things.
Still batteries are much better choice as a currency in terms of weight/price ratio

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yukon gold potatoes will still be worth something. Golden grahams will be a good investment.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Toilet paper may be the new monetary system, quit ruining my dreams for a financial empire.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I apologise

I just got a pack of triple-ply, I didn't know there was more than double-ply

How many squares of what ply for a pack of smokes?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The no gold argument usually comes from those who can not afford any physical gold and cannot afford supplies and trade stocks. The primary wealth trade stock is medical supplies.

(I have a friend who is a gold trader. in the last month he has only sold four of the 1/4oz coins because people can not afford them. Anything larger is only traded with other dealers. Thats his report.)

But there are things people will always want for traditional reasons. Wine, Gold, and fine linens and spices. We all use these items in traditional human ceremony, in every location on earth.

So what is needed if one is to marry? Rings, Special clothing, and food and drink.

Or you could just live with the wedding bands from the bodies you find. But I doubt thats going to be they way. If your children are to marry you will want to trade for new bands, fabrics, at least one bottle of ceremonial wine from the local wine maker, and some spices to make a special meal. The one who can take the coins and melt them with copper and silver, and cast and buff to make hard rings. He will get the trade of the parents. So will the wine maker and spice dealer and tailor/seamstress. Even in post cannibalism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join