It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold will be worthless in a SHTF scenario

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The vulnerability lies in treating anything as a "store of value." The value is ascribed by a potential buyer. So the whole thing is sort of a giant Ponzi scheme. A lot of people on ATS believe that fiat currency has no inherent value.

News flash: neither does anything else.

Historically, a lot more people have continued to believe in the value of gold in the middle of a crisis, than have continued to believe in other stores of value.

But no, ultimately nothing in this world has inherent value, since it is a quality (like sexiness, or art) that is assigned by humans, and no to humans have the save valuation. All commerce is actually an embodiment of the "greater fool theory."

What are the chances that a greater fool than you will purchase it in an emergency?

Gold will be worth more than a collectible Elvis plate, when the lights go out. I suspect it will retain value better than the Elvis plate if the world keeps on keeping on. You could probably construct a chart comparing the values of gold, collecter plates, fine wine, various shop tools, etc. Or you could just assign a dollar amount and allow their respective values to float freely. But then that's what we do now....

Of course, the civil war chess set is worth more than any of 'em.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

You hit the nail squarely on the head. The problem is oversimplifying a SHTF scenario. If all you have to save your @$$ is a room full of Gold, you obviously haven't thought this through. If all you have is a room full of canned peas, you haven't thought the scenario through. If all you have are guns and ammo... you get the point. Your SHTF plan should be comprehensive, with a little bit of everything. Food to eat, water to drink, and guns to keep them safe. Also, gold and silver, because just because the SHTF, doesn't mean people will all stop being productive. And then, we need a means of trade. As stated by Dr.Strange, Gold and Silver have historical value. We know generally what an ounce of each will buy.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Seems to me that you are all giving too much credit for the human intelligence,
For the craving for gold is much more psychological than economical.
"So, i have petrol and chickens, you have only petrol but want chickens.
Why would i... OOH SHINY
"

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Even in the Dark Ages...GOLD was second in value only to Diamonds. Gold value has increased mainly because of it's necessity in use of building Electronic Equipment and High Tech. Commmunication connectivity and Solar Shielding.
GOLD will ALWAYS have value even in a World Disaster.

In the Dark Ages there were town that had society and structures... people had been living off the land and trading for what they needed for a long time... now let's go to 2012 where humans don't know how to provide for themselves without paper money... without industrial farms, without water coming through pipes in their homes..

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Well...I agree with you on how soft people have become. I used to teach various forms of Survival....Winter, Ocean, Arctic, Jungle...you name it...and you are RIGHT!

People take too much for granted and would die in mass if we had a major disaster...but GOLD...will still be of value. Especially to people who know what to do with it to make High Tech. Gear. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join