It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a huge Earth changing event happens in 2012, will the skeptics admit it was predicted?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by GLontra

I have noticed that the response you posted above is becoming your standard response when people will not agree with you.

All i would say to you is relax chief, do not get so stressed.

In fact, this is exactly what I want to do: relax, and don't get stressed anymore.

If I keep trying to convince people who simply won't be convinced by anything, I will only get more and more stressed, with no results in the end.

So, it's not worth the effort. It's better to relax, and adopt a "Time will tell" approach...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by GLontra

I have noticed that the response you posted above is becoming your standard response when people will not agree with you.

All i would say to you is relax chief, do not get so stressed.

In fact, this is exactly what I want to do: relax, and don't get stressed anymore.

If I keep trying to convince people who simply won't be convinced by anything, I will only get more and more stressed, with no results in the end.

So, it's not worth the effort. It's better to relax, and adopt a "Time will tell" approach...

Believe me: a lot of us "skeptics" get stressed out too.

You said in a previous post "skeptics that blindly debunk". What stresses many of us skeptics is "believers who blindly believe".

The trick is to ask yourself: "Why am I letting myself get so stressed over this?"

Think about it and realize: no mater how hard you try, you will not get everyone to follow or believe in something you might know / believe. At the same time, keep in mind that there are many on here that will back you up, or be on the same side as you. That in itself should help.

I could sit here and debate with you that just about every single year, something major, or even earth changing happens. That those events are just that: events. There is nothing tying them to this year. You can scan through the news archives, and history books, and I'm telling you you'll find something that seems significant.

I'm with the camp that if something were to happen this year, that was very earth changing, chances are we won't be here to talk about it: even the "We Told You So" people will be wiped out.

However, I'm pretty sure the year will be just like any other year. December 22nd I'll get up and be running around trying to get last minute Christmas shopping done.

But there is one last thing you might want to think about: if it stresses you out so much, you might want to stop being here, or arguing with people about it. How is all that stress affecting you and your health? If too much, could be 2012 WILL be a life changing event for you and your health.

Think about it, and realize, it's not worth stroking out over.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The actual Mayan prediction is occurring now. The entire world is changing drastically right before our eyes, right now, and it's 2012, so........
People have completely distorted what the Mayans predicted. No where does it show that the world will end, because it's NOT.
The skeptics are the ones with mud on their face, because everything is happening just as predicted. There is no way to deny that major changes are happening right now, things that are changing the world as we know it, forever. Expect more, since it's only March.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

There are no Mayan predictions so I find it hard to believe that reality is matching up with them. But please go ahead an tell us all what these predictions are and where they come from.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Even moreso, who are you to say what predictions are legitimately discovered via information and/or cognitive feeling. You aren't. Period.

There is a big difference between a prediction that works out and a meaningful prediction.

If I make 365 predictions for the coming year that a M7 or better quake will occur I will be "right" around 17 times. None of these are meaningful predictions. This is simply a shotgun approach.

Sometimes they are just right.

Sometimes it is luck.

Sometimes people predict something BEFORE it happens and *gasp* it happens!

Happens all of the time:
1.tide tables
2. eclipses
3. phases of the moon
4. weather conditions
5. political elections
6. project completion dates
7. financial predictions

Well then I am glad that most predictions aren't as vague as your example. I'm pretty sure the odds of guessing a 7.2 earthquake to a 48 hour period are significantly smaller. Once again, statistics class.

Probability.

But what you fail to realize is that here, on this fine thing we call the internet, there is next to no way to differentiate precognition with coincidence.

I do realize that.

But in your list that you provided you continue to do EXACTLY what I said. You give the possibility, as slim as it may be in the eyes of some people, that a prediction is REAL - 0%. You don't even give it the light of day.

Because the chance is 0.

Is it because you have already made up your mind? Do you feel that because you are incapable of prediction that no one else is either?

Has nothing to do with these being impossible.

Just because someone does not share their methods of prediction with YOU does not mean they didn't use science or logical thought to reach that conclusion, but the moment a prediction comes up people all of a sudden feel entitled to know how and why or else all credibility is lost.

The issue is whether or not a prediction is meaningful.

Did I also mention that skeptics seem to have en enormous ego? We are discovering new objects in this universe literally every day, many within our very solar system, some that are on projected paths very close to Earth that we have never, ever known about in the past. But somehow, using the almighty powers of "skepticism", you are able to prove a negative with 100% certainty. You should honestly be up for a noble prize.

I was very specific about the mass being planet sized. Where is a new planet sized object in all of these discoveries? There can't be. It is impossible.

EXCUSE AFTER EXCUSE AFTER EXCUSE. Your comment on floods makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe you need to read about floods and understand them.

My entire state was flooded this past year. Did that happen in recorded history? Nope.

Please tell us where this flood was.

You seem to be able to prove stuff with 100% certainty, so take a stab at that one.

Weather was not one of the decidable issues. The list of decidable issues was demonstrably false ideas.

Record events are "records" for a reason. It means it didn't happen. Ever. In recorded history.

Everyone knows that. Records are broken all of the time since there are so many records being kept from daily temperatures to wind speed to precipitation to flood levels. There are millions and millions of records to break. Look how often sports records are broken.

Volcanic power is indeed increasing. The amount of damaging and newsworthy eruptions in 2010 and 2011 as compared to the past is a staggering statistic to say the least.

Volcanic activity is not unusual. It isn't even that high compared to other years.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Ummm... Why don't you do your own work, there's tons of info on this, including this website. I did my homework, now you do yours.
My prediction.... You won't.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

It is well established that there are no Mayan predictions. This may be new to you. It is understood that there are many modern hoaxes passed off as Mayan predictions. Are you referring to these hoaxes?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Yep, it is not the end of the world. That is one of the major hoaxes. I only listen to scholars, not skeptics. I hate how people treat the ancients like they were idiots, they were most certainly not.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I've done my homework. In fact I've posted my homework on here with in depth threads complete with citations. If you are interested in them some are in my signature. So far no one has been able to provide any legitimate prophecies or even proof that the Long Count ends on 13.0.0.0.0 for that matter. So if you evidence to the contrary please provide it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The legitimate scholars say that the Maya have nothing to say about 2012. The closest you get is Tortuguero Monument 6 (which is the only reference to 13.0.0.0.0) however this merely refers to a religious ceremony. Houston and Stuart, two of the leading experts on the Maya, are now saying that the monument may not even make reference to 13.0.0.0.0.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is a STOP sign a warning or a prediction?

2012 is a warning of the end of cycle.

Where does prediction come in if we getting warned?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yep, it is not the end of the world. That is one of the major hoaxes. I only listen to scholars, not skeptics. I hate how people treat the ancients like they were idiots, they were most certainly not.

Obviously you are referring to others since I defend the ancients and their incredible achievements such as construction of the pyramids, invention of writing, development of metals, and astronomical observations.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

What cycle is being warned about? What stop is there?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

will it matter though ?

Who cares who is right as long as the truth is there.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Believers don't care for the truth UNLESS it supports their position. If it doesn't, then it's of no use to them regardless of whether it's actually truth or not.

Just check out the threads on the space program being a hoax, living in the year 2000 not 2012, etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

No, not necessarily.

To be a genuine prediction it must be accurate as to exactly what the event will be and when it will happen. If it's just throwing crap at a wall like most of these fake predictions are, it would be irrelevant.

Multiple natural disasters happen every year and have always done so. So if say there were a large earthquake it proves nothing unless the person claiming to be a prophet or psychic gives the correct date and describes it accurately. Any idiot can claim there will be a huge natural disaster in any year and be right.

Of course it's also true that lots of money is and has been being made off the 2012 madness. That does not mean anyone actually believes in it who's critical thinking skills are even remotely existent.

Every generation that has existed thinks it the last one. Check out the history. Paying attention to it is in some ways just nuts. What does one gain being afraid of their shadows and ruining their own lives over fantasy and paranoid delusions?

Those who care about truth know that the Mayan Calender predicts nothing at all. They also know that Sitchen was a fraud and a very transparent one who took advantage of peoples false fears for, you guessed it, money.

Have you spent any money yourself on books, video's or site memberships based on this? Lot's of people have and they got took I'm afraid.

Some are just mean angry folk who perpetuate fear because it gives them a thrill to scare people who are weaker than them. Some are in fact genuinely suffering from clinical paranoid delusions.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Here, here Blaine.

Glontra, here is my take on it.

I have read many of the posts here (not all, admittedly). My take on it is this:

Example, which is an actual prediction and which is a statistical analysis?

1. A M8 earthquake will occur in Haiti on April 17th, 2012 at 8:40PM.

2. A M8 earthquake will occur between the dates of April 15th, 2012 and April 19th, 2012.

If number 1 occurs, this is a prediction; a specific date, time and location have been recorded. Number 2, on the other hand is a statistical analysis.

This is how I would view some event happening. Was it forecast or was it just a good guess.

Also, as I have mentioned before. We need to desensitize ourselves to the fact that nothing happening, is something happening.

-saige-

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Originally posted by boncho
Where was the prediction that Japan would suffer one of the worst Nuclear disasters in history?

But thats in the PAST, the REAL question to ask YOURSELF is WHY are you asking and whats in YOUR future?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join