It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1/2 a BILLION dollar Lottery...What would you do with the money?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What a great question for a thread. I think the first things I'd do in order would be....

Change my Name

CHange my phone number

Tell all but the closest family and friends that I've gone for a spritual quest to Tibet or old Babylon or something that should leave me unavailable for years to come in their thinking.

Then I'd get down to the serious business of having some serious fun! A few million set aside for pure, total mad money to go spend like everyone imagines themselves doing with more money than a God Cheat in a video game.

After ALL THAT.... Well... if the market ever settled and things don't just collapse into a big smoking pile of ruin for the economy...then the market HAS averaged 10-11% return over it's existence and 30-40 million at even a few % in compounding numbers is enough for my bloodline to never really worry about money again.
edit on 28-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Speaking of anonymity and ID theft. I'd get an attorney and financial manager to set up a blind trust (or whatever) so no one could find out who I was, then I'd get that money out of the reach of the US government. I would be more worried about THEM stealing it than any ID thief.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I would endow my local public library like one can endow a chair at a university. Taxpayers would be relieved of the responsibility of funding the library through property taxes. If set up correctly, interest on the money could be used to fund current operations in perpetuity. My library's budget is about $10 million a year. Even at today's low interest rates the fund should be self-perpetuating for a good long while. With that amount of money one ought to be able to find an annuity situation whereby the fund would both fund the library and grow at the same time.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'd buy a football team. Maybe 2 in different divisions and stock them with the best talent money could buy so I could recuop my investment by seeing both of my teams in the Super Bowl. Then I'd go to England and do the same thing.

Then I'd go to Canada, pay off certain lawmakers so brothels could become legal quicker, buy a whole slew of them so I could see a return on THAT investment as well. We all know that that type of business isn't going anywhere.

With all those returns on my investments and the speculations on the profits, I'd have roughly a half to three quaters of a billion in the "bank" which I would then use to buy an oil company or two. The largest there are. I would pay everyone I need to get all the programs and laws in place in the areas of the world I need them so I could easily segue my way out of oil and into more natural means of replacements for said oil. We all know that fossil fuels are a limited rescourse that do not regenerate themselves. There's only so much to go around, so I'll protect my original investment by having naturally recurring options.

Have you noticed so far that every investment I've made is in something that has a PROVEN track record of financial success? Hell, if I feel extra happy one day I might even buy a movie studio or two

I'll put this all on paper, have my lawyers and accountants go over it all with a fine tooth comb to assure that it's all feasible and affordable, and once I get the green light, I'll show EVERYthing to the woman of my dreams. I'll show her what my level of intelligence can accomplish with the right amount of money.

Maybe THAT will impress her.

And when it does, I'll buy our own island, or whatever she wants, and we'll live happily ever after.

See......I really DON'T ask for much.

Anyway....gotta go for the day. ly

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Expatriate as quickly as possible.. And thank God Almighty that I finally had the money to do it good and properly.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by Talltexxxan

First things first: Change my name, move away, and go into hiding.

With a record breaking jackpot that big, you'd be famous and have every Tom, Dick, and Harry following you around to find something to sue over. Or 'tripping' on your lawn, 'hurting themselves.' Or causing a wreck that would appear to be your fault, etc. Or, worse- kidnapping your kids, kidnapping you, blackmailing, etc.

So I'd grab my family and haul butt away as quickly as possible. Sad but true.

So true. I have to laugh at these idiots who come forward the next day and have their picture taken with the giant check - the one that has their NAME on it. Such imbeciles.

Someone should do a documentary on these 'tards and see how many of them got ripped off.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
1 Pay off any remaining debt (student loans, small home loan, 1 credit card)
2 Custom build a home and furnish it nicely but not tacky (marble dolphin statues)
3 Buy two vehicles (one truck Ford F150 or something and one car..probably subaru forester or volvo station wagon)
4 Build doomsday bunker, furnish and stockpile enough food for 10 or so years

5 Give money to friends and family
6 Buy some parts of old downtown where I live and build cottage like boardwalk and rent out the spaces.
7 Build 100's of apartment units (these are big here..lots of students/small families)
8 Put 10 million in trust for each of my daughters
9 Enroll daughters in Forsyth SchoolForsyth School pay for entire education..and college fund through PhD.
10 Build a huge charter type school here
11 Build a huge family fun type center here.
12. Build large woman/child center
13 Expand our library
14 Travel to every bucket list place I can think of (but wouldn't do anything crazy that would get me killed.

15 Save the rest.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by AshleyD

First things first: Change my name, move away, and go into hiding.

With a record breaking jackpot that big, you'd be famous and have every Tom, Dick, and Harry following you around to find something to sue over. Or 'tripping' on your lawn, 'hurting themselves.' Or causing a wreck that would appear to be your fault, etc. Or, worse- kidnapping your kids, kidnapping you, blackmailing, etc.

So I'd grab my family and haul butt away as quickly as possible. Sad but true.

So true. I have to laugh at these idiots who come forward the next day and have their picture taken with the giant check - the one that has their NAME on it. Such imbeciles.

Someone should do a documentary on these 'tards and see how many of them got ripped off.

They DO have a show on it.

Its called "The lottery changed my life"

Sadly though a large majority of lottery winners are actually filing for bankruptcy less than 5 years after their win. Just goes to show you what happens when little monkey gets all the bananas he wants.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Speaking of anonymity and ID theft. I'd get an attorney and financial manager to set up a blind trust (or whatever) so no one could find out who I was, then I'd get that money out of the reach of the US government. I would be more worried about THEM stealing it than any ID thief.

In my state you cannot be anonymous, its illegal. I have a feeling that if 1 person won, they would end up like Shakespeare did in Florida.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Too funny! Instead of body guards, you'd need an entourage of 'law guards!'
Well, maybe some body guards, too.

Realistically, though, I would NEVER want to win a jackpot like that. It would just be too scary to be thrust in the spotlight with scary/dishonest people trying to take advantage of you. And what are we really going to do with THAT much money? It would be too intimidating for me. Anything over $10 million just seems like overkill, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I would give Jennifer Love Hewitt a call!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I guess I wouldn't have known that, since I don't have cable. It figures, though. They are dumb enough to tell everyone, they are dumb enough to get taken advantage of. I bet a lot of them try to buy friends with it.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I guess I would finally get a set of tires for my truck.

Then I could go fishing -- A LOTS.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

Well I would take the cash value
and then ask out Jennifer Love Hewitt

Why not just clone 4 of her?

Me I would build a massive bunker and set my evil world domination master plan in action

(Yes it involves cloning)

Mahaha Mahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaaaaa!!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43
I would give Jennifer Love Hewitt a call!

500,000,000 million is a [snip] ton of cash but I think even JLH wouldnt be impressed.
I have a feeling shes the kinda girl that after being in such a money driven industry her entire life that such things like bank account size (hers is probebly huge) just wouldnt matter anymore.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

In my state you cannot be anonymous, its illegal. I have a feeling that if 1 person won, they would end up like Shakespeare did in Florida.

That sucks. I'd move to a different state before I claimed it.

Hey, a bit off-topic, but why is it that every time a federal fugitive goes on the lam, they end up in Florida? When AMW was on the air, it seemed like they captured these scumbags hiding out in Florida all the time.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
HA they are dumping all that money to a lottery ticket,

What would happen if the winner had all this money and the dollar crumbles and is worthless

I'd say millions of fire starters lol

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
I guess I would finally get a set of tires for my truck.

Then I could go fishing -- A LOTS.

Gotta give you a star for that good chuckle.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
if i was in america i'd buy a large slab of land and fence it off then far enough inside the borders i'd have motion/heat sensitive machine guns which would kill anyone turning up to annoy me (even the song birds would be shot on sight if i fancied a lie in
)

but as someone said beer/strippers/grade a charlie and waste the rest would be a good start

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If you think that was funny.

Wait until Friday and I'll show you my pay check.

No, that will likely make you cry as much as I do already.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join