It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron Now at Ocean's Deepest Point

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Diving at 150 feet makes me a bit claustrophobic. I can't even fathom going down as far as he did.

There is no reason to malign his efforts - as a rich film director, he could just cozy-up in his mansion, like almost all others rich folks do. Instead, he actually risks his life to further science. Good on him I say.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Gives me hope......... you see the Grey's are in the deepest of our waters and I have said before the Marianna Trench and the Puerto Rico Trench. I do hope he catches something. This could be more mind blowing then you think

Greys? In deepest water?

Wide eyed speculations?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PulsusMeusGallo

Originally posted by observe50
Gives me hope......... you see the Grey's are in the deepest of our waters and I have said before the Marianna Trench and the Puerto Rico Trench. I do hope he catches something. This could be more mind blowing then you think

Greys? In deepest water?

Wide eyed speculations?

It would make for some of the most un detected deep base locations though

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
reply to post by Phage

It's quite possible that all he saw was a diatomaceous sediment. And maybe a few single-celled creatures. For all we know, the deepest point in the ocean is the ocean's equivalent of a near-barren desert & thus the odds of anything living there could be very low. But we don't know that until we look, and look we did, albeit briefly (well, he did the firsthand looking)

Sorry, I cant resist this, how could he see a single celled creature, are they not microscopic?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DARREN1976

reply to post by Phage

It's quite possible that all he saw was a diatomaceous sediment. And maybe a few single-celled creatures. For all we know, the deepest point in the ocean is the ocean's equivalent of a near-barren desert & thus the odds of anything living there could be very low. But we don't know that until we look, and look we did, albeit briefly (well, he did the firsthand looking)

Sorry, I cant resist this, how could he see a single celled creature, are they not microscopic?

2 ways you can see them;

1) if they have billions and billions of them, the water will look cloudy, sort of like bacteria growing on a Petri dish, when they have 10^9 or so amount, they will look like a dot.

2) If he takes samples back.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

(the support from Rolex is beyond me, though)

Rolex make diving watches if I'm not mistaken, they obviously saw an advertising opportunity and contributed funding.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DARREN1976

No, they are not all microscopic. It was discovered last year that a 4-inch single celled organism resides in the Trench.

The team documented the deepest known existence of xenophyophores, single-celled animals exclusively found in deep-sea environments. Xenophyophores are noteworthy for their size, with individual cells often exceeding 10 centimeters (4 inches), their extreme abundance on the seafloor and their role as hosts for a variety of organisms.

From here: www.neatorama.com...

As for the possibility of ancient ruins, I personally doubt it. IF (and that is a rather big if) If any ruins are down there that have survive both time & the immense pressure, I'd expect them to be entirely hidden beneath the sediment layer, so I feel odds of a visual on that would be very minute,
edit on 3/26/2012 by Nyiah because: a better word choice

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
I'm thinking it's gotta be so dark that it would be hard to see anything at all. Very cool though that he was able to make this trip down there.

Super uber super bright LEDs man.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

No, they are not all microscopic. It was discovered last year that a 4-inch single celled organism resides in the Trench.

The team documented the deepest known existence of xenophyophores, single-celled animals exclusively found in deep-sea environments. Xenophyophores are noteworthy for their size, with individual cells often exceeding 10 centimeters (4 inches), their extreme abundance on the seafloor and their role as hosts for a variety of organisms.

From here: www.neatorama.com...

As for the possibility of ancient ruins, I personally doubt it. IF (and that is a rather big if) If any ruins are down there that have survive both time & the immense pressure, I'd expect them to be entirely hidden beneath the sediment layer, so I feel odds of a visual on that would be very minute,
edit on 3/26/2012 by Nyiah because: a better word choice

A fou inch single celled organism!? its definately true what they say, you learn something new every day!!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson, how far from Cameron is he possibly? Live feeds would of been fantastic going into their sensitive depths, also they shoud use these crafts to survey the Gulf of Mexico just to see how the floor is holding up with the bonding agents

edit on 3/26/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

A fou inch single celled organism!? its definately true what they say, you learn something new every day!!

Here's a video of 4" wide amoebas also taken at the bottom of the Marianas Trench by a ROV.

I asked my wife if I could get one as a pet and she said no

Cameron didn't see any on his first dive, although he did see a few shrimp like things. How they avoid being crushed is beyond me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Cameron didn't see any on his first dive, although he did see a few shrimp like things. How they avoid being crushed is beyond me.

I think they use some sort of tissue-space compression, like our ears do during airplane ride.
edit on 3/26/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This did not happen. This story is false.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

It was great to see someone using their wealth to help provide information for the benefit of all, hats off to the man.

Now if we could only get the bankers to follow his example and use their massive bonuses to attend basic accountancy classes then the world would be a better place

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is awesome!

I think it's amazing what he has done. Crazy it takes a movie being made to get this area explored. I look forward to the video from this. I wonder what lives down there and what it looks like. He is going to use those creatures in the design for the new Avatar movie. This is what I have read on imdb.com. He is using them as a template for his aliens in the new movie, it will be underwater.

I think we need to get him to sign on to a Mars movie
maybe he will want to explore Mars for himself
hehe

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Excuse me but Jacques Picard did that more than 50 years ago already.

What's so special of Cameron doing it again. No "Huge questions" could be answered back then, I fail to see how they will get answered this time. Enlighten me.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Very interesting! I hope we do get to see video of it. One of the weirder theories I've heard about this trip is that he has the keys to the gates of Hell
and is going down there to unlock the gate . This will let satan out

Just thought I'd share!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by paperface
When will we see this footage,in a years time at the cinema in 3d?

I quess we will have to make this millionare even richer...

After seeing the original Star Wars film in 1977, Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry: en.wikipedia.org...

Work hard and you could be a millionaire too.

Then maybe you can help fund an amazing project out of your own pocket.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

THIS.

Which all in all, happens to be my aspiration as well. because as a millionaire i know my ability to help out(those deserving/in need) and fund projects will be much more than now.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

True. It's not the first time. But Cameron was much better equipped to provide imagery which may be of interest.
He also spent a lot more time on the bottom than Piccard and Walsh did.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Quote from NatGeo:

Among the sub's tools are a sediment sampler, a mechanical claw, a "slurp gun" for sucking up small sea creatures for study at the surface, and temperature, salinity, and pressure gauges.

Sounds pretty familiar to me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join