It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Cameron Now at Ocean's Deepest Point

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666
Here's CNN's story, and the video of James "emerging".

CNN

Cant help but think he is faking this "emerging" scene. He never went anywhere.

So...you're one of those that pics or it didn't happen will never be happy. You need an attitude adjustment....

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I agree he does not look like he has just been down all that way.

Probably just hype so we will all make him richer and go and see it on 3d when its released.

Greedy Greedy Greedy,and by the looks of it the "life" oer lack of it down there seems very boring anyway.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
An amazing thing to do, what makes me laugh is the attitude of people that think
"It's been done before so why bother ?"

We'd still be pooping in caves if the majority maintained that stance.

Here's a hypothetical conversation circa late 1490's

"Lets go to the New World!
nah, why bother,
that Columbus dude already did it!"

Congratulations Mr Cameron hope you enjoyed an experience that very few have had nor will ever have.
Just thinking of the absolute darkness and the immense bone-crushing pressures outside his submersible makes me shiver.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by freethinker123

No spirit of adventure, huh?
Too bad. Sort of an evolutionary throwback. It's been done. Why do it again...bettter?

This type of 'spirit of adventure' requires me to identify with a rich egoististical 'adverturer'? Frankly I'd rather identify with an expert. I enjoy nature programs but unless this one produces something interesting and new I won't be watching. Just because James Cameron is doing it doesn't make it interesting.

The evolutionary throwback is a reference to gossping about those in the public eye and admiring the pack leader in the hopes of getting close to him???

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Just because James Cameron is doing it doesn't make it interesting.

Even if he had brought back 3D movies of an enormous 6 headed blind eel attacking his sub? I was hoping he would, ever so much.

Seriously, the point of the dive was to gather samples and capture images. Why is an "expert" required to do that? Interesting interview here:
www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperface
I agree he does not look like he has just been down all that way.

Probably just hype so we will all make him richer and go and see it on 3d when its released.

Greedy Greedy Greedy,and by the looks of it the "life" oer lack of it down there seems very boring anyway.

After about 300' the amount of life in the oceans is minute compared to what's at 250' and above. Once you get passed a thousand feet it is nearly non-existent for the most part aside from the occasional whale, some grouper and squid. At the depths he's at the only life would be around geothermal vents. I've been to 6k ft in a hardsuit and used to routinely dive to 1200'+ on umbilicles in the North Sea and GoM while diving in the oil industry. Trustt me I've been deep water diving for 22 yrs and did some really deep work in the Navy with the Navy Experimental Dive Unit, there's not much to see down there.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I knew it! Thanks for that I didnt think there was much to see either.Maybe a more sinister reason is affoot in all of this charade
edit on 26-3-2012 by paperface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Just because James Cameron is doing it doesn't make it interesting.

Even if he had brought back 3D movies of an enormous 6 headed blind eel attacking his sub? I was hoping he would, ever so much.

Seriously, the point of the dive was to gather samples and capture images. Why is an "expert" required to do that? Interesting interview here:
www.popularmechanics.com...

Well because I (usually) respect your judgement I read some of that interview. But Phage, come on one of the questions was 'You’ve had incredible successes pushing the bounds of 3D for recent feature films'... I mean you got to be on a heightened does of US standard issue Soma to swallow that type of hero worshiping and hype fuelled drivel shared between the interviewer and Cameron. The pushed upon us from above 'technology' of 3D is a great example. It isn't revolutionary, it was done before, people are rejecting it now - even though in theory most of us like the idea.

But lets all just get caught up in the wonder of it. Hell, lets just get all caught up in wonder about numerous fantastical UFO cases, they just might be true. No?

Why use an expert? OK, why not send a homeless bum down there? Or make it an unmanned 'mission'. No, you know why, its about the hype of James Cameron doing it.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

OK, why not send a homeless bum down there?

Because a homeless bum couldn't build the machine.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Are you upset that Cameron did this all on his own dime. Because of his dime, new ,never seen before raw data on the ocean will be brought to the scientific table. I applaud him for that alone.

How many wealthy people do you know who spend their money to benefit the scientific world. So what if he's not a trained scientist...he's made it possible for the trained scientists to have the material to study, for the benefit of all mankind.

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Wow, what a human being! I definitely respect the mans curiosity, we need more people like this in our world.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
Thanks for showing this, OP, I didn't know.

I have a newfound respect for Cameron.
edit on 26-3-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Good on Cameron. His Titanic Doco was amazing, and i'm sure this one will be as well.

One of my Favorite movies is the Abyss, so I think it's awesome he has such an interest in the deep sea. Great guy, great director, good on him

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
He pretty much saw what I would expected; virtually nothing. They've sent cameras down this far before and there was nothing to see; it can't sustain life. To me, it's the equivalent of the space shuttle orbiting the earth and all we've ever seen of it is "how cool it is to drink water out of the air" or "asstronots" floating around in the shuttle.

Seems like a lot of money to spend to show off a few gravity tricks.

Sorry to be such a skeptic, but over the past 25 years, we have virtually no documentation or proof of anything worthwhile gained from the space shuttle program. We hear gratuitous statements like, "this will help advance medical technology". It's nothing but a "feel good" talking point with no real substance. If this weren't James Cameron but instead a NG scientist, it wouldn't be half the story.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

Skeptic? I don't think that's the word...

10 Tech Innovations From NASA

1. Baby Formula with Dietary Supplement
2. Goodyear spring-loaded tire that needs no inflation
3. Artificial Heart Pump
4. Extra-Strength Fishing Net
5. Rescue Equipment for Accident Victims
6. Video Stabilization Software
7. Biodegradable Commercial Lubricants
8. Amazing Insulation for Homeowners and NASCAR Drivers
9. Image Processing for Firefighters
10. Possible Solutions for Osteoporosis Patients

I would bet the list is pretty long, and unless you live alone under a rock you're probably using some type of trickled down NASA tech right now.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
James Cameron going himself at the deepest point in the Ocean ?
that is a little bit risky for him

He wanted to be like NEIL ARMSTRONG
first man on the moon

now first man to reach the deepest point in the ocean
he made history

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

now first man to reach the deepest point in the ocean
reply to post by Ben81

not quite still deepest point in the ocean but still very impressive

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

OK, why not send a homeless bum down there?

Because a homeless bum couldn't build the machine.

So you're saying that in order to sit inside / operate a machine you must have built / paid for it? Thats a pretty weak argument.
edit on 27-3-2012 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Are you upset that Cameron did this all on his own dime. Because of his dime, new ,never seen before raw data on the ocean will be brought to the scientific table. I applaud him for that alone.

How many wealthy people do you know who spend their money to benefit the scientific world. So what if he's not a trained scientist...he's made it possible for the trained scientists to have the material to study, for the benefit of all mankind.

Des

As opposed to what? You think I'd be happy if he did it all on somebody else's dime? But ok I get it you think that new data will be found - although I think you are much closer to the truth on the 'never seen' part. From what I understand nothing new has been found.

How many wealthy people use publicity stunts to gain greater media exposure, for their own self interest? Oh the benefit of mankind, oh the violins I can hear the theme music from Titanic movie and tears are welling in my eyes....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So you're saying that in order to sit inside / operate a machine you must have built / paid for it? Thats a pretty weak argument.

No.
It's more like, if I had built/paid for the machine, I sure as hell would want to be the first one to use it. But maybe that's just my adventurous side coming out. I sure as hell wouldn't have picked up a homeless guy and said, "hey, want to take this baby for a spin?"

edit on 3/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join