page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+17 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

James Cameron Now at Ocean's Deepest Point

news.nationalgeographic. com

As of 5:52 p.m. ET (7:52 a.m. on Monday, local time), James Cameron has arrived at the Mariana Trench's Challenger Deep, members of the National Geographic expedition have confirmed.

His depth on arrival: 35,756 feet (10,898 meters)—a figure unattainable anywhere else in the ocean.

Reaching bottom, the National Geographic explorer and filmmaker typed out welcome words for the cheering support crew waiting at the surface: "All systems OK."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3/25/2012 by Nyiah because: title typo
edit on 3/25/2012 by Nyiah because: make that two title typos

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
We are watching history being made today. A single man has dove into the extreme depths of the Mariana Trench, and survived the descent unscathed. The samples he will bring back for study may yield answers to many questions about life & geology in the Deep, or they may bring about new questions (more likely a little of both!)

I feel truly lucky to have been able to park my behind online & follow Twitter & FB while he dove, I really did get to watch history unfold in realtime updates. Also, Cameron's tweet after hitting bottom seemed bizarre, a tweet from the Deep had me giggling & shaking my head in amusement, lol.

news.nationalgeographic. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yea history is being unfolded , going into places where our curiosity demands
Yes for cameron , i wonder the crazy things he might see down there , that might inspire the next block buster!

Imagine a underwater intelligent civilization that greets him and takes him into a hollow earth
Only to find out they eat humans , and thats where the people who missing every year end up

Can't wait to see a documentary on the whole adventure in HD . Yes to nat geo ! and cameron for bringing us this amazing adventure !

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Most Excellent!!

Cameron is likely collecting data, specimens, and imagery unthinkable in 1960

He should be down there for about 5 more hours. Let's wish him a safe return.

I should tweet him "Pics or it didn't happen"

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good news.

Too sappy to give a "Godspeed James Cameron?"
It's every bit as ambitious an undertaking as space travel.
edit on 3/25/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
How the hell could he do that cramped inside a 1,1 meter sphere? He did all this journey crouched!

I don't like the guy much, but still he did achieved an historical feat....
edit on 25/3/12 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
How the hell could he do that cramped inside a 1,1 meter sphere? He did all this journey crouched!

He's been preparing himself physically and mentally for a long time for this dive. He studied yoga for example to comfortably sit in the sphere.

Wow, just wow.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Just imagine what the technology will be like in ten years! Deep-sea submersibles capable of accommodating a whole crew of researchers for days or weeks at a time?
I hope they discover what sort of creature or event was responsible for "The Bloop".
edit on 25-3-2012 by simplybill because: Anticipating sarcastic replies

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Would have been cool if they had live cams streaming on it.

I wonder what they'll find? Maybe Megatron

Just joking...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
From someone with claustrophobia. Congrats!

Better you then me.

I heard rumors his next Avatar movie takes place underwater.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Great achievement by James! But they stated in the article that the Challenger Deep is the deepest point in the ocean like nowhere else could be deeper. We only have about 5% of the ocean mapped though

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracySquid7
Great achievement by James! But they stated in the article that the Challenger Deep is the deepest point in the ocean like nowhere else could be deeper. We only have about 5% of the ocean mapped though

They used SONAR to find the deepest spot in the ocean. Here's a video that explains how this works:

video.nationalgeographic.com...

But you're right in that most of the ocean bottom is still unexplored.

edit on 25-3-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Mr. Cameron is on his way back up, it seems:

Paul Allen ‏ @PaulGAllen
#deepseachallenge sub started return to the surface after a successfull dive welcome back to sea level soon!
Retweeted by DeepSea Challenge

twitter.com...#!/DeepChallenge

I thought he was planning on spending 6 hours on the sea floor? Either it's less interesting down there than we think, or something resulted in cutting the trip short. Either way, the imagery & samples he's bringing back with him are priceless & we have him to thank after a 52 year wait

I wonder what is going through Richard Branson's mind today? You can't really beat Cameron now, unless you build a resort down there or something

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

It was the enormous 6 headed blind eel. A narrow escape.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Its odd to send a film director to the bottom of the ocean. Or, is he a marine biologist and makes nature documentaries for American TV too? (which I'm unaware of as I'm in the UK)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by salty_wagyu

He sent himself.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Nyiah

It was the enormous 6 headed blind eel. A narrow escape.

Hm, are you sure he didn't disturb a megalodon?

I wonder how long it's going to take NatGeo to put together a documentary special on this dive? They had a documentary on the Fukushima 'quake out before we could blink. Or imagine the potential IMAX film this could lend imagery to

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

The problem is...what if all he saw was mud?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's quite possible that all he saw was a diatomaceous sediment. And maybe a few single-celled creatures. For all we know, the deepest point in the ocean is the ocean's equivalent of a near-barren desert & thus the odds of anything living there could be very low. But we don't know that until we look, and look we did, albeit briefly (well, he did the firsthand looking)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

You're absolutely correct. I'm not knocking the expedition.
But ooze would not make for much of a TV special. The show would have to be devoted to the technical aspects of the dive instead of what NatGeo (and you...and me) are hoping for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join