It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So NASA says THIS is a "1 millimeter dirt" in the lens of SOHO spacecraft, BUT...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I was checking out this thread about an anomalous object in the images of STEREO A COR2, and the whole discussion whether this is an actual object near the Sun or a "1 millimeter fiber" stuck in the lens of SOHO spacecraft, as said by NASA on its official website for debunking the conspiracy theories about the anomalies spotted in the images of SOHO database.

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

This is the image discussed in the other thread:

...and is the referred anomaly:

edit on Sun Mar 25 2012 by Jbird because: Mod Note: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

Obviously a still frame is not enough for making an analysis of the picture, so I downloaded a pack of images between today and March 16, for observing what happens with this anomaly during the whole motion. I noticed the anomalous object was lightened up by the CMEs, as if it was a solid object external to the spacecraft. It could be just a visual trick, but then the anomaly seems to be engulfed by stronger CMEs, covered by the plasma ejecta and later reappears.

I made some animated GIFs of the moments I'm referring to. I hope it's visible enough.

Like I said before, I had this impression that this anomaly reflects sunlight as a physical object, though I'm not sure whether this is just a visual trick or not.

So, is that only a "1mm dirt" told by NASA, or actually something else???

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Considering NASA really stands for Never A Straight Answer, I bet you can guess what I am leaning towards.

+43 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Since it is a fiber on the sensor it will be illuminated by the same light which strikes the sensor.

Since its position in the frame exactly corresponds to the roll angle of the spacecraft, it is obviously "attached" to the imaging system.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
Considering NASA really stands for Never A Straight Answer, I bet you can guess what I am leaning towards.

Totally agreed, but I would like to see the explanations of ATSers.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I say, they gave us their answer. Time for yours.

My best guess is that it is some particle on the lens. Ive been doing the soho thing for only a year now but there does seem to be alot of annomolies like this one. Now for the light increasing? Im assuming that happens as the light that comes from the sun is impacting the lens, it will cast the light on that dirt particle and make it light up momentarily. However, your best guess is probably more correct than mine.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Why start a new thread when everything was explained in the previous thread?

Wilful ignorance and flag whoring?

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

On the last picture you posted, the anamoly is "lit up" and I see a full circle. I can see a circular object not a crescent one. Like I said, in the last picture when it's "lit up" I can see the entire shape of the anomaly and it appears to me as a circle.

I have no idea what it is though, just something I noticed. I'm leaning toward the official explanations though.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

lol yeah!

Like the time NASA said comet Elenin was not going to hit earth and it didn't! lols!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Since it is a fiber on the sensor it will be illuminated by the same light which strikes the sensor.

Since its position in the frame exactly corresponds to the roll angle of the spacecraft, it is obviously "attached" to the imaging system.

So your explanation to the effect when it looks like it's fully engulfed by the plasma ejecta, is because the dirt is "attached" to the system??

I assume a comparative situation for illustrating what you are saying, could be when a person aims a camera with dirt lens, to the beach waves. By your logical the dirt in the lens should look like it's engulfed by the waves and disappear in the rendered images, but this actually doesn't happen.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Why the hostile comment?? Running out of pills???

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

And why are you being an ass? I never heard of this anomaly before, so the OP did me a great service.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

You read a current thread that contained all the answers you needed or gave you an avenue to ask a question in, since it's last post was today and the next logical step was to....

Start a new thread on the subject!

yay!

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I assume a comparative situation for illustrating what you are saying, could be when a person aims a camera with dirt lens, to the beach waves. By your logical the dirt in the lens should look like it's engulfed by the waves and disappear in the rendered images, but this actually doesn't happen.

You don't read well, do you?
It is not dirt on the lens. It's a fiber on the sensor inside the imaging device.

So, this object "knows" when the spacecraft rotates 180º and quickly relocates itself?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/24/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire

On the last picture you posted, the anamoly is "lit up" and I see a full circle. I can see a circular object not a crescent one. Like I said, in the last picture when it's "lit up" I can see the entire shape of the anomaly and it appears to me as a circle.

I have no idea what it is though, just something I noticed. I'm leaning toward the official explanations though.

Yep, in the last GIF it's possible to see the whole "body" of the anomaly for a few seconds. Take in mind that it's a GIF format with few image information. If you run that compiled video in 2048x2048, in some movie editor with lots of filters, you can enhance that anomaly A LOT. And if you dig into the final result, the "1 millimeter dirt" of NASA doesn't hold water.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You don't read well, do you?
It is not dirt on the lens. It's a fiber on the sensor inside the imaging device.

So, this object "knows" when the spacecraft rotates 180º and quickly relocates itself?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/24/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

But when the spacecraft rotates 180° the image is not shown mirrored?? So that the object would be seen "in the opposite side" it was before??

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

No, it isn't.

The image is corrected so the north pole of the Sun remains on top. You can verify this by the location of the bright regions of the corona before and after a rotation.

The Sun does not rotate in the image. The fiber does.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
iv seen this thing back in summer 2010 then again in the beginning of 2010, it appears to re-occur regardless of what this thing is !

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If its a spec of dirt why is it illuminated at the time that it would take for light to hit said object? If it was light bouncing from inside the camera/sensor then it would be delayed by seconds.

It is not.....

NASA lies badly......

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz
If its a spec of dirt why is it illuminated at the time that it would take for light to hit said object? If it was light bouncing from inside the camera/sensor then it would be delayed by seconds.

It is not.....

NASA lies badly......

What?
The light from the Sun hits the sensor and the fiber upon it at the same time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join