It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTN: Image Size Guidelines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
We all enjoy using photos here at ATS to better illustrate a point we’d like to make in various threads. There’s a wide variety of hosting methods available which we use, ranging from our own in-house system to the services provided by ImageShack.

One thing we’d like to keep consistent; however, is image and file size.

All images must remain at or below 680 pixels wide/tall

AND

no larger than 200K

If you don’t have the first clue about pixels and file sizes, here’s a quick guide:

On The Net
If your surfing the net and want to use an image, first make sure it’s not copyrighted (if it is, ask permission to use it and/or provide a link to where you found it below the image), then right click and go to properties. Your information will be there. The first number in the pixel sequence indicates width, the second is for height.

On Your PC
Depending on which OS you’re using, you should be able to simply hover your mouse over the image and the essential information will appear in a text field above your cursor. If not, try selecting the image or going to properties.

Both very basic and very sophisticated image editing software is capable of editing image size to make the image proportional to the original…

Here’s one such free tool I found by simply using Google

But if you still lack these tools, there’s an even simpler BB code solution (although this only addresses the pixel size primarily):

How to resize an image

The large images make members scroll up and down, left and right, and wait far too long for pages to properly load. It makes their ATS experience less enjoyable. We want to make this a place where anyone can come, load up a page and have some fun without being a burden to read due to a sloppy post with a monster-sized image that doubles the page-width and goes unattended to by the author. We all know what that’s like!

ATS operates at a standardized resolution of 1024x768. If you’re scrolling left-to-right to read the pages and your screen resolution is set lower than the site is meant to be viewed, the problem is on your end.

Another factor apart from image pixel and file size is long URLS that have been directly copied and pasted from the browser’s address field - If the link appears to be too large to simply paste it, please use the proper BB Code to create short-links, such as this one...

If you see any of these issues occur which have not been addressed yet, notify any of the staff here either via u2u or using the gripe/help button up top and we’ll remedy the issue ASAP.

Or for that matter – If you’ve made the mistake yourself and would like to have it fixed – Let us know…

Members who steadily choose to ignore our requests to respect these guidelines will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Now…You’ve all been properly edified on image size - Go forth and post some photos!

[edit on 10/4/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Way to go!

Oversize images reduce the overall experience of ATS, please make sure that any linked images fall within the above guidelines. If an image just has to to be viewed in a larger format, provide a URL link to it.

Image Monkeys, not just for proving bigger isn't better anymore...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Awesome. Can you also please throw in a reminder for folks to shorten those looooooooong URLs that go off the page forcing you to scroll right-left to read every line.

JAK

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Already on it WCIP.

While we're all here I'd like to recap on the length of links.

For example a link to Zedd's Handbook of ATS Links can be posted in it's standard form: Which is ok but some links stretch across the page and distort.

To avoid this if you don't fancy entering the BB code in directly you can make use of the hyperlink function provided
when posting which will give you the option of naming your link and delivering it in a tidy little package.

Step 1: Click

Step 2: Name your link

Step 3: Enter the address

Result: Et voila
You can check your post before submitting with the 'Preview Post' button to make sure everything is correct.

Further information is provided... where else but Zedd's handbook of ATS Links of course!

handbook.abovetopsecret.com...

or should I say

Zedd's BB Code Link

Jak

[edit on 2/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Good deal JAK

I've edited my original post to reflect that point you brought up WCIP, but for the primo deluxe triple latte version, see above

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Good work, guys. Wonder-mod powers...activate!! Heheh...

I wonder how many new members actually see these posts/announcements.

I know it was quite a while before I discovered the BQ&B forum, on-the-ball and alert as I am.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I wonder how many new members actually see these posts/announcements.

I know it was quite a while before I discovered the BQ&B forum, on-the-ball and alert as I am.

The key to this is the Introductions Forum, which I believe has fallen into disuse recently. A new member is provided several posts by Staff and Members giving good advice, and direction to threads like this. I'm not sure why so many new members eschew the "Intro Thread" option... But they do.

I think a lot of new poster woes could be eliminated by something as simple as participating in this time honored ritual.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
very nicely explained Enron and Jak

As Jak mentioned, it is always a good idea to use the preview post button before you actually commit yourself to adding your post to a thread. I find it an invaluable tool for making sure that my images and links are all good to go.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I dont know wether i'm allowed to post on this thread or not?
if not plz put in the bin,

I normaly use photobucket, but its easyer to copy and paste the url
I just wanted to know if there is an html code for resizing web photo's?

Thanks for the advice,

All the best... iamian

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamian
I dont know wether i'm allowed to post on this thread or not?
if not plz put in the bin,

You and everyone else are more than welcome to post their ATS image-related questions here...

I normaly use photobucket, but its easyer to copy and paste the url
I just wanted to know if there is an html code for resizing web photo's?

Some member exclusive albums and wedbsites, like Yahoo Albums, etc...will not work when you copy and past the url into the image tags...I'm not sure where Photobucket falls into the scheme of things - You can always give it a go and see what happens...

HTML code is not used on the ATS boards to try to keep any and all hacking attempts at bay....All that's available to use is BBCode...

As far as image size manipulation with BBCode however, you'll find this link very useful

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Shack Attack

For what it's worth, the BBCode links that ImageShack provides work fine on ATS, and I use them all the time.

For example, a gratuitous haibane-related pic, with BBCode courtesy of ImageShack (they call it “Hotlink for forums”):

Not to promote any one solution over another, but I thought it relevant that this particular service does offer easy-to-copy-n-paste BBCode for the busy ATSer on the go.

^
^

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
thanks M-a-j-i-c. Thumbnails

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I had to test this out to see if I'm doing it right. Thanx.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I wanted to embed a photo into my post by using the [im] tag but the image was to wide. I tried changing it to [img] which allowed me to resize by placing =640x480 after [img However, this changed my embed into a link. Is there a way to just change the display size of the embedded image linked without having to create a link??

new topics

top topics

join