It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Gets Patent for Using Background Noise to Target Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Google Gets Patent for Using Background Noise to Target Ads

www.pcworld.com

Google, on Tuesday, was awarded a patent for "advertising based on environmental conditions." In other words, Google has patented the technique of using environmental factors gathered through a device's sensors to target ads at users.

"When determining what ads to serve to end users, the environmental factors can be used independently or in combination with matching of keywords associated with the advertisements and keywords in user search queries," the patent reads.

"A web browser or search engine located at the user's site may obtain information on the environment (e.g., tempera
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
talkppc.com
www.geekwire.com

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The only sensor I know of on a cell phone would be the GPS that Google could use to determine your location... now they want to use background nopise to collect data what you are doing ... OH it is for your benefit!

I wonder what else they aren't telling us...

I have seen youtube stories about hidden cameras in DVD playes and cable boxes. I wonder what other things they might be imbedding into the circut board or chip?

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think its really cool... but... seems like a very hard thing to accomplish even to be 80% effective.

I mean, how random can your environment sounds be? Of course theres simple ones, but... if theres a party or a lot of noise like kids playing or babies crying or the wife telling you to f off... some background sounds are just useless.

But I applaud the initiative and the tech behind it. This is the perfect example of how a company really can be successful - innovate.

Grats Google.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I had a friend wore wore something that looked like a pager on her hip 24 7. She told me some company paid her to wear it because it sensed or hears what Tv stations and radio stations you listened to. It paid 50 bucks a month and supposedly helped companies advertise.

Seems like it would be effective if they have already been doing it for years.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Not surprising. I am organizing a protest at the Bohemian Grove this summer and I was collaborating with someone - someone who has kind of flaked in the past on something that he began. He has a different angle this time and I said I was down and would try to incorporate it but only if I knew it was for real.

This morning, I received an email from a Republican grassroots campaign asking me to help stop the war on women (something I support but won't be involved in any more than respecting my fellow humans lie I already do). The title of the email was, "It is real"...which I immediately took as a response to my question from last night. Strange coincidence but after hearing about how facebook apps read text messages I am wondering if their is an effort to bot emails for keywords/directed advertising.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it...or not.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Google use camera cars with Wifi hacking
to gather info on you.

Now they wont to tap in to your mic and
camera in your home and your mobile..
Google IS a government information
gathering agency.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

I had a friend wore wore something that looked like a pager on her hip 24 7. She told me some company paid her to wear it because it sensed or hears what Tv stations and radio stations you listened to. It paid 50 bucks a month and supposedly helped companies advertise.

Seems like it would be effective if they have already been doing it for years.

Probably one of those ancient "tube" calculators.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Yep, nothing at all wrong with knowing even more about you. If you like you could ask the in for a cup of tea and if they would like to molest you while your cry, in case that helps with their advertising also.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

So... if my wife and I have a rather loud date night at home, I'm gonna be getting ads for birth control?!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

So... if my wife and I have a rather loud date night at home, I'm gonna be getting ads for birth control?!

That and they are going to send your neighbors some earplugs.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

LOL... Only if you have the computer on right?

From the linked article:

"If and when Google decides to implement the patented technology, it says it will respect the privacy of its users by allowing them to turn off the environmental monitoring application."

You've got to hand it to Google, they ARE innovative. Even if this technique has been used before, they're taking it to the next level. Just like Google Plus though, you DO have the choice to opt out.

This might be the main reason why I pay attention to what Google is doing. I can see what they're doing and apply their techniques to what I do on a business level. They are very successful at what they do ( just look at their stocks ) and if you emulate what they do in a way that applies to what you do, you can be successful as well.

In this instance though they're using environmental factors to help in marketing products. This type of marketing is used in retail all the time, so in this instance, they seem to be emulating other businesses.

And this, my friends, is what helps the whole shebang get better. People and businesses bouncing ideas off each other which, in turn, makes them better.

That's the way I see it at least. On a business level.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I must strongly disagree with anyone who sees this as a positive development. As if we need anything at all to fuel advertising, which is one of the most influential mind altering communication 'devices' in the world today, up there with music, movies, and TV. Aren't people already consumer-holics already? It is disturbing to think that there will be new advanced in this field, unless you're an advertiser like google.

I really used to feel google was an amazing company, and they do make amazing products. But, they aren't stupid, and they're waiting until they've hooked you to slowly show you why they are offering many of their products for "free" or paid for by advertisements. When the time comes, they will alter the products slightly over and over again so that most people won't complain too much, but eventually, people will feel that they don't like certain aspects of their intrusive practices, yet they don't know what they'd do without their GMail or YouTube. Bet on it.

It seems they are starting with the tablets they offer, where it can be seen that they don't offer ad-blocking software on their Android tablets. With extensions (or add-ons), it's possible to install extra 'parts' for the chrome browser to block ads. It's not possible on tablets though, and I speculate that they will not allow it until people demand it. People aren't demanding it now because they are so head over heels for the new touch-screen novelty gimmicks. Apple won't be offering ad blocking either, so there is no competition or anyone forcing them to offer the same features they do for the PC browser as they do on the tablets. The point is that they know they make money from those very annoying ads, and they will force you to view them as long as they can. (There are other ways to block the ads, but that is apart from the device itself and not as convenient.)

I like google, but I h-a-t-e advertisements. So, I must see that one day I might have to find some other solution should they make my experience anything less than decent and peaceful using the web.

As far as the article...

Stand-alone kiosks or terminals would be the types of devices with the sensors. Or, the sensors could be built into a building or mall, and the ads delivered on a flat panel TV that is connected to the internet.

Examples: Ad for umbrellas if it's raining, or smudge-proof mascara if it's very humid.

If you think it's difficult to ignore ads and billboards, wait until the ads actually make sense for the environmental conditions or time or space you're occupying. It will be more difficult, and they won't stop there; they'll make more 'developments' for their profit interests that drive the rest of us to spend even more money we don't have.

Funny the author mentioned GOOG-411 because that was shut down by google at least a year ago. It was a very nice free 411 service. I bet it was competing with their Android phones, which people can also use to look up many of the same things that their free 411 service offered. See what I mean? It isn't about serving you as much as it is about setting up their products for you to buy or use while viewing ads.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Add this in connection to the NSA multibillion dollar data storage facility in Utah and..well we don't have to put it together..

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Indeed, its the same method used when one wants to listen in on cell phones even when the cell phone is switched off. The only safe way around this is to REMOVE BATTERY, otherwise ppl like me and officials can listen in on cell phones and can enable the camera and i am not associated to any official body...

edit so anyone out there willing to pass there cell number over

edit on 22-3-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by buddha

Add this in connection to the NSA multibillion dollar data storage facility in Utah and..well we don't have to put it together..

Yeah - 'cos Google obviously doesn't have enough data centres

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
if this is really going to happen, i'm gonna record an mp3 of myself saying "boners, trees and dead batteriez" and play it on a continuous loop each time i open up my laptop.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They might as well log everyone's keystrokes, too. One never knows who is in need of a well placed ad selling dictionaries. I log in to my bank with "An0niM00seL0g1n" and up pops an ad for Webster's-"For just $9.95 we can show you how to spell 'anonymous' and 'login'... Click Here to Order NOW!".....now that would be a perfect world!

top topics

join