It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The study says RED meat, not all meat. They say eating poultry and fish reduce the risk significantly.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Not all red meat is the same either. Grass fed meat has a high omega 3 to 6 ratio and game even more so.
Buy grass fed beef and you'll not only eat healthier, you'll find it tastes amazing too.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Humans are omnivores, that is we can eat both meats and fruits and vegetables. The current meat production system is unhealthy because of rampant anti-biotics and growth hormones use, and the horrible conditions animals are forced to endure, but the argument that light to moderate meat consumption is unhealthy is biased and flawed. All things in moderation. Human eat many things, get over it. The real issue at the core of the argument is a lack of responsibility for and thanks to the animals who help us survive. We have allowed them to be reduced to food slavery and that needs to change.
edit on 8-3-2013 by th3dudeabides because: rewording

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Here's a good thread going on right now about an OP who's working with his father-in-law on a prostrate cancer problem. He's doing it with diet, and I'm not noticing any meat in the diet. Hmmmmmm. Isn't meat usually listed as one of the possible causes of prostrate cancer? The thread includes lots of good food tips and an interesting history of tumeric in India. Tumeric is the new soy, but in India it's the same old tumeric as well as the future new tumeric.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
www.trueactivist.com...

Studies like this are well overdue. It has long been the common consensus among vegetarians that its more healthy not to eat meat but evidence was scant.

Eating meat in my opinion is an act of bullying against animals. It is puts a big strain on our biosphere. We can feed a lot more people with less land on vegetables...

Maybe one day you will get labels on meat products like you do on cigarettes... Warning may cause cancer..

I subscribed to this thread when it was new (I think) -- almost a year ago. This popped up again and I just read the first page -- some really funny posts LOL.

I've experimented with many different diets: ovo-lacto vegetarian, cooked vegan (no animal products of any kind), raw vegan, macrobiotic, low gluten, low carb, etc, etc..

My conclusion is that there is NO ONE DIET for ALL people.

A person's dietary needs can change many times during his lifetime.

I'm reminded of a story in "The Findhorn Garden" that the late Eileen Cady (one of the founders of Findhorn) told.
She was a committed vegetarian. During recovery after surgery, she had a strong craving for red meat which she ate without shame. She also had trouble sleeping during this time, and instead of taking a sleeping pill, she would take a shot of whiskey before bed. The "purists" who found out were horrified.

She listened to her body and fed it what it demanded. After she fully recovered, she went back to being a vegetarian (I suspect her body was crying out for iron -- hence the craving for red meat.)

Circumstances can dictate the diet. Eskimos would starve to death if they were forced to become vegetarians.

I know for a fact that an All Raw Vegan diet can be very healing, but it's challenging to stay on indefinitely. I would recommend it for periodic cleanses or if you're hit with cancer, etc., a disease that demands serious internal cleansing -- along with high colonics & specific herbs.

I have great respect for certain fully-realized spiritual masters who have merged with God (the "Supreme It" -- for lack of a better name) and therefore are the "One" who can feel the pain of ALL sentient beings. They do NOT encourage meat-eating, generally.

Incidently, India has the highest number of diabetics in the world. GMO wheat has wreaked havoc.

One's diet should be a matter of personal choice (barring cannibalism that demands murder -- some tribes eat their already dead).

In any case, militant vegetarians (and I'm not accusing the OP of being one) turn almost everyone off.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

That argument doesn't make any sense - there is not a single nutrient found in meat that is not found, in abundance, in plant-based foods.

Therefore everybody who can thrive on a meat-based diet can likewise thrive on a plant-based diet.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

That argument doesn't make any sense - there is not a single nutrient found in meat that is not found, in abundance, in plant-based foods.

Therefore everybody who can thrive on a meat-based diet can likewise thrive on a plant-based diet.

I was arguing? What argument are you talking about?

I need to add that I never wrote that ANYONE "thrives" on a meat-based diet. They survive.
edit on 8-3-2013 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
reply to post by texasgirl

Not all red meat is the same either. Grass fed meat has a high omega 3 to 6 ratio and game even more so.
Buy grass fed beef and you'll not only eat healthier, you'll find it tastes amazing too.

A voice of wisdom in the dietary wilderness.

It's NOT the red meat people! It's the hormones and antibiotics they pump them full of to make them grow faster and keep them from getting sick because they feed them GRAINS. Which is NOT THE NATURAL DIET OF A COW.

Cows are ruminents. Ruminents eat GRASS. In a pasture. Outside. Roaming and moving about.

Eat grassfed, hormone and antibiotic free beef. And before you tell me it's too expensive, I've run the cost through an inflatino calculator. It's the same as what was spent in 1940 and before. We're just spoiled on factory produced and therefore cheap Crap Meat. I am fortunant to live in Texas where grass fed beef is everywhere. So that's all I get.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuranVector

Originally posted by Son of Will

Yes there is. B-12.

The few plant foods that are sources of B12 are actually B12 analogs. An analog is a substance that blocks the uptake of true B12, so your body's need for the nutrient actually increases. Vitamin B12 is found almost exclusively in animal tissues, which vegans and vegetarians do not typically eat

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Man, all this talk about meat has got me hungry for fat juicy stake.

I know what im making for dinner tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I like how people I've never heard of are always doing studies that will give them an excuse to tell me how I should live my life.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Man, all this talk about meat has got me hungry for fat juicy stake.

I know what im making for dinner tomorrow.

Fine, as long as you label yourself correctly. If I'm a vegetarian then you're a corpsearian.

But I used to be a huge corpsearian (both fat and in the quanity I ate), and never met a hamburger I didn't like except one (my ex-girlf made me one with egg mixed-in, yech). If I had kept eating that way I wouldn't be here now to speak for all the cows I second-handidly killed: Moooooooo Moooooooo.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
PETA... People Eat Tasty Animals..

we are created to eat meats AND veggies,.. its called Omnivore

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I am with you - but those rampant steakers will never see your perspective - not in a month of sundays.. I would duck if I were you...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

why is that funny ? Can you explain please

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Hi Helen! Ah, people that eat animals seem to me now to have the minds of either conscious or unconscious murderers (and of slow suiciders as well). If they don't experience all animals as being alive (insects too, all the little germs and bacteria and all as well) then what a world they are missing!!!! It's a fantastic place once you respect all the other people living on and in it (author Robert Anton Wilson opens up one of his books by explaining that only one person in a thousand sees an insect as a person), and once you do that, eating their corpses is out of the question because you realize that someone killed the cow and made a profit on it because of you. And the chickens, jeez, hundreds of millions of them packed in tiny cages. But the bottom line of all this is that humans weren't designed to eat "meat", as I'm sure has been covered in this thread. What a weird concept it is now, to eat a corpse (and I was one of the biggest cannibals back when I did it).

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Originally posted by HelenConway

Hi Helen! Ah, people that eat animals seem to me now to have the minds of either conscious or unconscious murderers (and of slow suiciders as well). If they don't experience all animals as being alive (insects too, all the little germs and bacteria and all as well) then what a world they are missing!!!!

Hi Aleistar - sadly we live in a world that values palm oil over the lives of orangutans - murders sharks for their fins, kills rhino and elephant for their ivory etc etc.

Most people of this world are defective and psychotic by and large - they just do not realise it.

I agree with every word you said.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
meh, veggie vs meaty threads annoy me but i just have to chime in.... anyone who thinks a meat free diet lacks any form of nutrition is just plain ill-informed, but hey, it's a worldwide phenomena not just limited to food.

the sad thing is, as pointed out many times earlier, that peeps want cheap meat. more like a crime really. making yourself eat chem infested, cancer ridden meat reared in, frankly, a pile of sh1t3. why do that to yourself or something else?

i havent eaten meat in some 25 years, yet i've happily helped rear organic/bio-d meat for others - i just wish more meaty folk would respect themselves/inform themselves enough to make healthy choices on meat, for themselves and everything else.

lets not forget thpugh that the human race is built on a mountain of dead deer, horses (actually quite tasty, honest) and rabbits... and like it or not, animals taste good, though i prefer chillies, raspberries and squash

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Because I laugh at vegans.

I dated one for a year,.she had nothing but health issues,. solely a soy based diet,.
she was always flatulent ..quite a turn off,. anyway,.. always ill,. Tried to convince her
she needed meats in her diet and animal fats her body required.. wouldnt listen.. Had enough
of the illness complaints,. doctor visits and of course the gas.. I broke it off..

A year later,. she emails me to tell me she was sorry she didnt listen to my advice.. When we
broke up she said she was so angry she started to eat meat,. (dont get the point of that, but
whatever) and she started to feel better, attitude, body, mind... and not as gassy,. cause she quit
the soy..(Monsanto is killing you all by the way). she actually eats mostly fish

If you want to feel sorry for animals thats fine,. but keep it to your selves,. and live your life
as a vegan,. but stop trying to take away what made humans what we are,. and how we evolved.
without meats,.humans never would have become smarter, and would have died from malnutrition.

I suppose killer whales should feel bad they have such a taste for seals and other ocean meats,.
they should really just eat krill or switch to seaweed or something

edit on 9-3-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

how was she a vegan if she only ate soy? wouldnt she be a soyan?

seriously

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join