It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former native leader under fire for dealing with Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Former native leader under fire for dealing with Iran

m.ctv.ca

A former Manitoba native leader is being called a pawn in what critics say is a public relations stunt with the Iranian government.

Terry Nelson and a small group of supporters travelled to Ottawa last week to meet with the Iranian ambassador, under the watchful eye of the RCMP.

Nelson wants to strike a deal with Iran to gain its support for his quest for greater oil, gas and mining revenues for aboriginals in Canada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This can be seen differently depending what your stance is on the situation. My main concern is for these 20 native leaders who are planning on visiting Iran. They might end up in jail and labelled as terrorists upon their return.

One of our former spies is on record saying we shouldn't do business with Iran due to their human rights record, but that never stops us from doing business with China and Israel.

I'm guessing that our federal government will find a way to legally put an end to this with threats, propaganda, and intimidation.

My opinion is that all Canadians should profit from our oil and gas reserves, not just the Natives.

m.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Brave guys, I hope it all works out for them well.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Why are they doing business with a theocracy? Are the other options not viable enough anymore? Sad...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

I'm not a fan of Iran's domestic affairs, but business is business. It's no different than the U.S. doing business with Saudi Arabia. These Native elders can also be corrupted by greed. I'm not saying that these specific Natives are fueled by greed, but it's very probable.

At the end of the day we all want to make a few bucks.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I'm not a fan of Iran's domestic affairs, but business is business. It's no different than the U.S. doing business with Saudi Arabia. These Native elders can also be corrupted by greed. I'm not saying that these specific Natives are fueled by greed, but it's very probable.

At the end of the day we all want to make a few bucks.

So that makes it okay? I voice my concern about people doing business with Saudi Arabia(Wahabi bastards)...but when someone does business with the other barbaric theocracy...then it's just people doing business? Why not critisize them both? Sounds pretty backward to me.

I'm just flabbergasted...at why native Elders would do business with Iran...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
There are still many US firms doing big business with Iran so I don't understand the big deal

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
Why are they doing business with a theocracy? Are the other options not viable enough anymore? Sad...

Maybe they know something you don't. As in, just about everything you get told about Iran is pro-Israel BS.

Iran is actually one of the most moderate Islamic countries on the planet. If some of you people read books, or spoke to people who'd actually been there, rather than soaking up AIPAC sponsored vomit from Fox News, you might actually know that.
edit on 19-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

My intention wasn't to label it as "okay" but it's normal according to global standards. Due to Iran's negative image it makes it easy for Canadian politicians to criticize Iran while ignoring other violations from our business associates.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

My intention wasn't to label it as "okay" but it's normal according to global standards. Due to Iran's negative image it makes it easy for Canadian politicians to criticize Iran while ignoring other violations from our business associates.

I wish Governments just called things as they are. Iran is simply not a 'friendly' to Western nations. Simple as that. If they let the West influence their Government than they would be a friendly. If they let the West influence their policies they would be a friendly.

Instead, they want to make their own choices and be friendly with other nations that are enemies of the West. Therefore they are not friendly. And because of that, they are hammered for human rights abuses and other things.

Saudi Arabia still has a drain in the streets where people are beheaded publicly....

China has factories with suicide nets and fences that rival the best built Jails in the Americas.

These things are overlooked because somewhere in their interaction with the West has made them friendly nations. It's all politics. And there is nothing wrong with that, by why not just tell people what's really going on. "We don't like these people because they don't support our objectives."

Instead of, "We don't like these people because of x, y and z."

"Oh by the way, our allies in other countries are also committing x, y and z. But we can call it something else."

edit on 19-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well considering we as Canadians have been carrying out a 400 year genocide against the Native Americans in our country, it comes as no surprise that the Harper Government would oppose, make a big deal out of, and potentially attempt to harm these people for nothing at all.

It's just furthering the agenda of discrediting, neglecting and eventually removing the Native American Culture from our borders permanently.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

So true, and it boggles my mind how others do not notice the obvious manipulation.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well considering we as Canadians have been carrying out a 400 year genocide against the Native Americans in our country, it comes as no surprise that the Harper Government would oppose, make a big deal out of, and potentially attempt to harm these people for nothing at all.

It's just furthering the agenda of discrediting, neglecting and eventually removing the Native American Culture from our borders permanently.

~Tenth

I have not. Maybe you'd like to cop to doing such a thing but I sure don't.

Aboriginal resource rights far exceed any other group in Canada. The right to NOT develop is theirs. That it has consequences is their right to choose.

Within Canada, native people have land claims to natural resources resulting from both treaties and from aboriginal LAND CLAIMS in nontreaty areas. Based on the findings of the 1970 CALDER CASE that aboriginal land rights exist in Canada (though they may have been extinguished in some cases), the federal government embarked on a policy of negotiations with FIRST NATIONS in the northern territories to achieve comprehensive land claim settlements. Successful negotiations in the cases of Nunavut, the Western Arctic Region and parts of the Northwest Territories have resulted in what are referred to as modern-day treaties. Pursuant to section 35 of the Constitution Act of 1982, these modern treaties are affirmed so as to gain constitutional status. Reflecting the traditional values of the First Nations, these modern treaties are preoccupied with land rights and natural resource issues. See also ABORIGINAL RIGHTS and ABORIGINAL SELF-GOVERNMENT.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

lol

OK then, if you'd like to believe that somehow the Native Americans have more "rights" than you or me, you can sure believe that if you'd like to.

But the actual reality is that we as Canadians have allowed our governments, for the last 400 years to mistreate and promote a culture of indifference towards Native Americans. From creating their "reserves" in areas like Attawapiskat, without providing adequate means of food production or the various other required needs.

From removing Oxycotin from the supply without providing a means for the 10 thousand northern ontario Natives who are addicted a means of getting off of it.

There's a laundry list of how we as Canadians still discriminate against Native Americans.

In education, in finance in politics and many many other sectors. I REFUSE to absolve myself or any other Canadian of these atrocities until we actually do something about them.

Otherwise we are apathetic and guilty, regardless of wether or not we "personally" contributed to the problem.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Maybe they know something you don't. As in, just about everything you get told about Iran is pro-Israel BS.

Iran is actually one of the most moderate Islamic countries on the planet. If some of you people read books, or spoke to people who'd actually been there, rather than soaking up AIPAC sponsored vomit from Fox News, you might actually know that.

People are not allowed to have sattelite dishes, Islamic education is mandatory, people are sentenced to stonings and hangings. The government is overruled by a fundementalist religious group, who are high on opium most of the times, with their hands in the countries' respective cookie jar; the oil industry. Criticism of the government is met with fierce and brutal punishment. There is no freedom of press.

I've spoken to people who were shot, jailed, tortured in Iran. Who have you been speaking to? Or did you just read what you just regurgitated from the internet?

AIPAC and FOX?
You have no clue. How about Iranians? No? Do you even know any? Before you decide to speak for all of us?
edit on 20-3-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

That's what I thought, you're just making stuff up. Stay in your place.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Really? Wow your so wise and knowledgeable to know all this, but wait... Hold on a sec...

People are not allowed to have sattelite dishes

But they can sign up for their SATTELITE TV here Persian Saellite

Islamic education is mandatory

Unless of course you are not a Muslim, then of course you have protected status and can attend ANY school you like, perhaps these may help educate you

Jewish Private Schools in Iran

people are sentenced to stonings and hangings

And of course no one in the any other country has the death sentence? Oh that's right, America only fries it victims with electricity, or chokes them to death with gas, so that's fine, but hey stoning and hanging are real bad.

The government is overruled by a fundementalist religious group, who are high on opium most of the times

They have a tiered government system, as do nearly all democratic systems, just has the US has 3 stages of government, their upper house may not be elected, but that is the choice of their country, not you or I. The UK has 2 governmental houses, the house of commons and the house of lords, only one is elected, the other is given by peerage. And high on Opium? Are you nuts? These people are devout Muslim's they do not take any form or narcotic, to do so would be a sin and lose them their status immediately

with their hands in the countries' respective cookie jar

Any proof of that? or just another crap throw away comment with no basis in fact?

Criticism of the government is met with fierce and brutal punishment. There is no freedom of press

That doesn't happen anywhere else does it? I mean it didn't happen in pro US Bahrain did it? And of course the Occupy movement was always treated with respect and dignity, was never any sort of brutal crackdown on them was there?

I've spoken to people who were shot, jailed, tortured in Iran

Really? There I was thinking you were just spouting BS and pulling crap MSM facts out of your ass...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

But they can sign up for their SATTELITE TV here

You do realize that basiji go door to door in the poorer neighbourhoods to remove these sattelite disks and punish people? No? You didn't realize that? Because you don't speak to Iranians? What a surprise.

Unless of course you are not a Muslim, then of course you have protected status and can attend ANY school you like, perhaps these may help educate you

Bullcrap. What if you're "born" a Muslim but choose a different faith? Go look up the law for that in Iran.

And of course no one in the any other country has the death sentence? Oh that's right, America only fries it victims with electricity, or chokes them to death with gas, so that's fine, but hey stoning and hanging are real bad.

Erm...they hang people in squares with spectators. They stone people for adultery. Do they execute people for that in the US? How about being "an enemy to God", does that even exist in the states?

They have a tiered government system, as do nearly all democratic systems, just has the US has 3 stages of government, their upper house may not be elected, but that is the choice of their country, not you or I.

It is very much my choice, now go and be ashamed of yourself for comparing the US and UK politics with Iranian politics, your ignorance is just so astounding.

And high on Opium? Are you nuts? These people are devout Muslim's they do not take any form or narcotic, to do so would be a sin and lose them their status immediately

They smoke the purest opium, but then again, a non-Iranian like you would not know that.

Any proof of that? or just another crap throw away comment with no basis in fact?

I wonder who Rafsanjani is. Or Khamenei. No basis in fact? Go be ashamed of yourself.

That doesn't happen anywhere else does it? I mean it didn't happen in pro US Bahrain did it? And of course the Occupy movement was always treated with respect and dignity, was never any sort of brutal crackdown on them was there?

So when students protest in the US they get shot at with live ammunition? Or pushed off a university roof? Oh wait, you did not know these things happened? How many people do you know that have been tortured by police in prisons you've only seen in horror movies?

Really? There I was thinking you were just spouting BS and pulling crap MSM facts out of your ass...

Sure, wave away the experiences of people who have gone through that stuff as if you actually know something. Truth is, you don't. Truth is, you're just regurgitating bullcrap written on the internet. Truth is, you're ignorant on many issues Iranians face...so why are you here trying to play it off as if you know what's going on inside Iran? Because you obviously don't.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

What annoys me the most is that an Iranian like me who has a lot of Iranian contacts both in and outside Iran, and comes here to inform you about the situation in Iran, to deny ignorance, is met by people such as you who are pretty much just trying to paint Muslims or an Islamic regime in a good light. News for you: You can't. PERIOD. You are wholly ignorant about what goes on inside Iran, all that you see from inside Iran is propaganda from the Iranian government...and you fall for it so bad it makes me wonder why the hell you people are on ATS, because if you love that propaganda so much, why not go live there instead of spreading disinfo for the Iranian government on a website with the slogan: Deny Ignorance.

You people simply could not get more pathetic, really.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I just proved your post full of holes, and you claim to be Iranian? Whatever, the fact is I was right about everything I said, and you cant refute it. You just spout nonsense saying I am wrong without proof.

And I don't think the Iranian government is wonderful, in fact I think it is awful, just like nearly all of ME governments, I do however believe it is their business and not ours, and if the people there want to overthrow it it is their choice, the fact that the west only wants to overthrow it, not for the people but so it can control the country and its oil and enslave its people by installing their own central bank is disgusting.

You say people there are tortured for wanting to change the government, you try overthrowing the US government and say trying to install a communist government there, see what happens to you, everyone's freedom is bound by limits, limits set by the ruling classes, your freedom only exists within any country providing you conform to the mandate of the ruling class, try to break out of that is revolution and you become a terrorist and your life forfeit. Look what happened to people in the 50's in America, the McCarthy trials. America tortures people now, or do you think water boarding is a nice pleasant afternoon activity? Or do you think those suspects tehy send to Pakistan (and to Libya previously) get given afternoon tea

Take your hypocrisy and shove it, on and don't be sending me any more PM's I have no time for people like you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join