It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does one survive in America on SS Disability income?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Someone further up suggested starting a small side business. A cousin of mine who suffers from schizophrenia brought himself a ute (what you american call a truck) and a trailer. Got a weed wacker, mower, some basic garden tools and does lawn mowing and basic garden maintence around his town (palm fronds, tree and hedge trimming, weeds ets). Charges from $30 - $50 a lawn, does 3-4 a day, so that $120 - $200 a day, does 4 days a week, so $480 - $800 a week. All done cash in hand so to avoid having to pay income tax. But is getting his ABN (Australian Business Number, needed for tax) as he is starting to earn close to $1000 a week.

Pretty easy work. No one gives him crap or makes it hard for him because of his schizophrenia, and he is earning a ton more money than he would get on a disability pension.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
In answer to your question this is how you survive:

1) Live on a budget, and stick to it, if nothing more, but stick to your budget. Live frugally. So it may mean that you will not be able to go out and eat, but then again with the right amount of planning you can get a lot for very little.

2) Visit food banks. While the selection may not be what you want, but it is food, and it is free. Use the food stamps, but hit the places that you know not only accept food stamps but also have sales. Most stores have weekly sales and a bit of preplanning means that you can get a good selection to choose from, though towards the end of the month before your card is refilled it will be the food that you normally do not want, but it will keep you alive.

3) While you have a truck, is there public transportation, if so, ditch the truck unless you absolutely need it. That way you can save money there.

4) Get with your social worker, cause they are a resource for helping you find housing and other services to assist you in living. They may also get you into a job that can assist you, as Social Security does allow for you to work, though the amount you bring in has to be low, but can supplement disability.

5) Save a bit every month, consider it a nest egg or for when you need or for an emergency.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Just be blessed that you are receiving $850.00 a month in income, because its over 90 million people in the USA that wished they had an income of $850.00 a month, let alone 2.2 billon people in the world that wish they could trick social security and sit on there bum for the rest of their life...and have a truck to drive

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Why don't you apply for section 8 housing from the federal government. The fed will pay up to 1500 a month for your rent. Then you can apply for welfare and you will still get your food stamps. You will even qualify for your disability for other federal funds to pay for your living expenses. Lastly the government will pay for your medical issues as well..All in all you can get up to 5k a month for living, just google what I have told you.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have a friend that is schizophrenic and he lives in a group home. This this the second group home he's lived in and you might check to see if you have some in your area. His only income is SSD and he is self-sufficient. He has a car, also.

Hope things work out for you.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527
reply to post by wantsome

Just be blessed that you are receiving $850.00 a month in income, because its over 90 million people in the USA that wished they had an income of $850.00 a month, let alone 2.2 billon people in the world that wish they could trick social security and sit on there bum for the rest of their life...and have a truck to drive

He is blessed, you are right on that, but he is not ”tricking” the system, based on what I read. The system is there for those who need it. You are in no position to make a cruel judgment call like that. You don't know him. You are blessed too, that you are able bodied to work. Some peop.le abuse the system, but you can't tell by the information given. He is sincerely asking for ideas to make his life better, your comment is out of place and rude

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BalderAsir

Well, that's a good idea too, just do not have a business phone, work from your home, and call it your "hobby."
I fix and repair computers from my home, on a good week I can make several hundred dollars, plus get some interesting trades. Traded a memory stick for a TV not long ago, and traded a used 30Gb HD for a whole parts computer with 3Gb of 400MHz RAM and a good Via MB.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join