It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Crushes 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Claims

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

You see, this is a fatal misconception:

If a planet like Nibiru did in fact exist, and the writings tell of a dark planet made of iron ore, then it would reflect little or no sunlight at all, and could be on approach in a stealth like fashion.

Firstly, there really are no claims of a "dark planet make of iron ore". But, if such a thing did exist (and, given the immensity and near infinite nature of the Universe, maybe one does exist somewhere.....in the 13.8 Billion light years radius....but, even if such a thing were in our Solar System, it would reflect sunlight, and shine brightly, if it were close enough to be able to come here and whack us.

The planet Mercury is a rock....and it shines brightly. Mars is dull, dirt....brownish-reddish dirt and rock. And it shines like a reddish star. Asteroids....chunks of rock, and many various elements, to include (I presume) some iron. They are relatively tiny, so require magnification from this distance, but they also reflect sunlight.

Finally...this imaginary planet, that is claimed to be incredibly massive? That mass, the mere presence of it, cannot just "sneak in" without revealing itself by the effects it would cause on all the other bodies in the Solar System --- perturbing their orbits.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
okay next up the end of the Muslim Calendar, 2076.
then,
the end of the Jewish Calendar, 2240

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gibonz

Makes you wonder why hes here??

There are plenty of valid conspiracies out there. Some are real head-scratchers. (Possible ET visits. Who knows? I want to. Kennedy assassination. What really happened? Let's find out. Etc).

But, the absolutely foolish claims like this one (and others) that are pure fear mongering, and that science can clearly refute, they just dumb down the people who believe in this crap.....and that is a sad shame.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
OH! Well if NASA said it, it MUST be true! They would never say just what needed to be said to further their own agenda.

According to the Mayan Elders themselves, the Mayan calendar also plotted the consciousness of humanity. Now is an extremely volatile and tumultuous time in their estimation, followed by a huge evolutionary leap. It is already happening.

Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"Object would effect the planets"
x
"Planets have no effect on Earth"

only a small speach inconsistency here but I don't buy planet-x 2012 theory anyway.
Well, no one can deny one big change already happening during last few decades or centuries.
I mean is the "2012 mainstream" actually counting this one particular date as one-day event?
Maybe just some people want to force political changes and they chose this date for many reasons.
So I bet the main change will be (is) in consciousness and a political one + some man-made show to make it attractive maybe. So many people's fear, hope, believe - this energy will not just vanish. It either cause something or will be used to cause something.
edit on 11/3/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
How do we know which stellar body was exactly referred to as Nibiru? Also there is no evidence that major catastrophies on a global scale happen each 5000 years. However extinction events have been triggered each 12 Million years. Some speculate the sun has a twin, that moves through an asteroid belt each 12 million years, hurling comets towards the solar system.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LedaOhio

Naboo doesn't exist. (The ancient SuMayan nerds knew nothing of Star Wars. The didn't even have the 'technology' of running water. How could they know about modern movies).

The Mayan and Sumerian cultures existed at totally different times, spoke totally different languages, were on (nearly) opposite sides of the planet and had totally different number systems and religious beliefs. For you to perpetuate a belief that would require some sort of collaboration between them shows ignorance or intention to decieve.

Seriously, you also claim that NASA always lies and the US government is corrupt as proof of Nibiru?

As far as I can see, the minute NASA gives bad data, is the very minute that NASA ceases to be able to justify its funding. Do a little research, they are very careful about getting it right. They were right about a whole slew of comets (including Elenin), planetary orbits, star brightnesses, positions and chemical composition. Please, tell me of an instance of where they provably got it wrong.

As for gov't corruption, that's a given, but it doesn't provide the slightest proof of the existence of Nibiru, Naboo, Harry Potter or Pluto (the dog).

The logic you are using to support these hoaxes, is itself, flawed.

Someone who broadcasts a lie is by definition a liar.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
PROUDBIRD DROPPIN SCIENCE ON ALL OF YOU

Deal with it

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

The Mayan and Sumerian cultures existed at totally different times, spoke totally different languages, were on (nearly) opposite sides of the planet and had totally different number systems and religious beliefs. For you to perpetuate a belief that would require some sort of collaboration between them shows ignorance or intention to decieve.

There are similarities in their archeology/used technology. You know: pre-Inca vs.Egypt etc.
just saying...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think only a small portion of 2012 believers believe planet-X scenario.

A 2012 survey would be fine. I think it's time for it.
edit on 11/3/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

You see, this is a fatal misconception:

If a planet like Nibiru did in fact exist, and the writings tell of a dark planet made of iron ore, then it would reflect little or no sunlight at all, and could be on approach in a stealth like fashion.

Firstly, there really are no claims of a "dark planet make of iron ore". But, if such a thing did exist (and, given the immensity and near infinite nature of the Universe, maybe one does exist somewhere.....in the 13.8 Billion light years radius....but, even if such a thing were in our Solar System, it would reflect sunlight, and shine brightly, if it were close enough to be able to come here and whack us.

The planet Mercury is a rock....and it shines brightly. Mars is dull, dirt....brownish-reddish dirt and rock. And it shines like a reddish star. Asteroids....chunks of rock, and many various elements, to include (I presume) some iron. They are relatively tiny, so require magnification from this distance, but they also reflect sunlight.

Finally...this imaginary planet, that is claimed to be incredibly massive? That mass, the mere presence of it, cannot just "sneak in" without revealing itself by the effects it would cause on all the other bodies in the Solar System --- perturbing their orbits.

Again, I have to say that after following many of your posts, and agreeing with you most of the time, I find it hard to understand how you could make such an erroneous assumption.

Mercury is made of rock, yes. But it has a very light colored surface. Mars does have a "darker" surface, yes.

But a body made of denser and darker materials would reflect LESS light. The darker, the less light it would reflect.

Again, we are talking hypotheticals here. If there existed a planet, which had an elliptical orbit, which brought it through our part of space every 3600 years, and it were made of some dark composite material, unknown to us, or not understood by us, it could, theoretically sneak up on us sight unseen and only detected by other non-visual means.

How could you possibly see otherwise? No pun intended.

Do yourself a favor -- read the Kolbrin Bible. It is an interesting read.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by LDragonFire

However one can simply look back through time and see that no destruction has occurred. 13 baktuns is equivalent to about 5,000 years. Yet we have a string of uninterrupted civilizations dating back at least 6,000 years with no indication of a great cataclysm. Then even before that we have about 95,000 years of human history with no indication of a cataclysm. Of course going with the claim that we are entering into the 5th civilization then one must wonder why the "Mayan calendar" only accounts for about 20,000 years of human history when we have existed for about 100,000. It also ignores the fact that the world is several billions of years old. So it makes no sense to buy into these claims that a cataclysm occurs every 13 baktuns.

The Mayan civilisation was an ancient one. Wouldn't a Volcanic eruption or a Tsunami be enough, in their eyes to be a destructive event ending a Baktun?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
they also claim aliens dont exist

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

NASA Crushes 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Claims

I tend to agree that the doomsaic interpretations of the Mayan long count are not all that worthy of so much concern. But at the same time, NASA really has no more than its own approach to the question which, in the perspective of any individual, may or may not be anymore or less worthy than those that do spell doom.

What we are left with is exactly what we came in with; our own interpretations and beliefs to be applied as we choose. We are not bound by any stretch to accept any interpretations. We may pick and choose, mix and match if you will... and even formulate our own personal, customized scenario.

I really don't understand WHY people like those most outspoken and caustic skeptics... or a US Government organization like NASA, even feel compelled to weigh in on these kinds of things. It's almost as if there were some force that was doing its best to shoot down any personal objectivity and replace it with some officially sanctioned thought-line.

I say... believe as you choose. It's a good thing when people think without being led.

edit on 11-3-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

As I said, in all the immensity of the Universe, in a nearly infinite number of possibilities:

If there existed a planet, which had an elliptical orbit, which brought it through our part of space every 3600 years, and it were made of some dark composite material, unknown to us, or not understood by us, it could, theoretically sneak up on us sight unseen and only detected by other non-visual means.

That, above (^ ^ ^) is purely conjecture, and has no credibility in fact or science, in our situation.

And sorry but: The "Kolbrin Bible" is not a credible source.

There simply is no archaeological evidence for a "3,600-year" cycle of destruction.

Did you realize that the person most oft-cited for having been the "creator" of the "Nibiru" myth in these modern times is Zecharia Sitchen? Based on his (severely flawed) "translations" of some Sumerian text sources.

But, even his claims have been massaged by others, to make it shoe-horn "fit" into the silly "2012 and Mayans" mumbo-jumbo.

Sitchen's "calculations", flawed as they are....they nevertheless predict the "Nibiru encounter" not in 2012...but sometime in 2900 AD!! So, using the "3,600-year cycle" and applying it to 2900 AD, simple math gives us circa 700 BCE, doesn't it?

Still, no record whatsoever in recorded Human history.......

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What if the last calender writer died. The Myans as a culture died out. There had to be a "last" of all professions in their culture. Simple explanation, sure, but possible.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
OH! Well if NASA said it, it MUST be true! They would never say just what needed to be said to further their own agenda.

According to the Mayan Elders themselves, the Mayan calendar also plotted the consciousness of humanity. Now is an extremely volatile and tumultuous time in their estimation, followed by a huge evolutionary leap. It is already happening.

Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey.

I agree.

There is very doubtfully going to be a planet that has been hidden by an ominous silhouette that then suddenly comes to in late December with a barrage of meteors, or a sudden pole shift. What I do see, and I have seen since 2009 is what seems to be a leap in consciousness, or at least an attempt at one. McKenna's view of the singularity makes a lot of sense to me. Watch our growth. If people really think that life is going to persist for the next 50 years 'without' anything happening at all are most likely caught in a huge pipe dream themselves.

Half of the sites I read fit 2012 into this galactic alignment, the other half say that it is falsified. On its own, I feel many humans are looking to Dec 21st in an attempt to create a large wave of consciousness, or a means to a 'personal end', to reflect the lack of desire one has in their own life, or an unexplainable interest in the sense of doomsday itself. Many get off on the topic very hastily. I'm down with ascending to another dimension, but most of the world isn't up to date with many of topics we discuss, and I'm sure half of the world could care less about December, 2012, while a large group have at least heard of the date at least once.

The fact that their calender starts 3114 BC before they were even around and ends long after their group was gone is what's most intriguing, that in combination with their knowledge and pursuit of the stars, and their capabilities to build these large and complex pyramid designs, many which have some connection to the alignments or solstices, like at Newgrange and Ajanta.

DXHR: "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here..."

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

I really don't understand WHY people like those most outspoken and caustic skeptics... or a US Government organization like NASA, even feel compelled to weigh in on these kinds of things. It's almost as if there were some force that was doing its best to shoot down any personal objectivity and replace it with some officially sanctioned thought-line.

Because there are a lot of susceptible people who will do stupid # like sell their possessions or kill their pets (or worse) if they truly believe a doomsday is imminent.

You can doubt the magnanimous intent, but I think that's part of it.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Sorry, I didn't read this entire thread. I got down page two and couldn't take it anymore. These Youtube videos are ridiculous, and all this bad "evidence" you show just destroys any logical credibility you have. I'm sorry, but I don't live in a fairly tale land where everyone is hiding something, and always out to get me. I understand that there are many issues with TPTB, but stop believing what anyone with a Youtube video or on the History Channel tells you; think for yourself, and chances are if someone is so easily "attacked" or discredited, there is probably a good reason for it.
edit on 11-3-2012 by UltraDOSEcious because: typo

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Several months back I watched a video regarding 2012. I believe it was a blood relative Mayan "Elder" that said something along the lines of it being a transition, nothing end of the world.
I believe he also said something about our "star brothers" coming back to say hello.
One of his main points being; the period in which these "great changes" would come about, wouldn't be DEC 21, like often heard. He said it is more of a "window" as no one knows exactly when it would happen. The window was somewhere around 2010-2018 if I remember correctly. It was a while back, hard to remember exactly.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join