NASA Crushes 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Claims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory have put out a new video to address false claims about the "Mayan apocalypse," a non-event that some people believe will bring the world to an end on Dec. 21.

Addressing the belief that the calendar used by the ancient Mayan civilization comes to a sudden end in December 2012, and that this will coincide with a cataclysmic, world-ending event, Yeomans said: "Their calendar does not end on December 21, 2012; it's just the end of the cycle and the beginning of a new one. It's just like on December 31, our calendar comes to an end, but a new calendar begins on January 1."

He added that there is zero possibility of a NASA cover-up. "Can you imagine thousands of astronomers who observe the skies on a daily basis keeping the same secret from the public for several years?" Uhmmm yes i can Don.

Source Video: www.youtube.com...
edit on 10-3-2012 by LedaOhio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Direct Evidence that Nibiru in fact does exist...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LedaOhio

We will know soon enough, its not like everything is going to be wonderful one day then destroyed the next. If something huge happens we should not be surprised by it.

Oh and what I have read of Mayan end of ages, they always end in destruction. Sort of the whole purpose of us being in the 5th civilization....

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Sorry, but......your OP is clear, then this post is making me

NO, there is no such thing as "Nibiru".

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It may be a new video however the information isn't new - Like he says at the beginning - the Myan Calender simply comes to an end - and a new one begins - it's whether or not a new one will begin that many are afraid of.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

"Their calendar does not end on December 21, 2012....."

Which has been stated numerous times, by numerous people, over the last few years.

Originally posted by LedaOhio

What caused you to make this huge leap??

...and NO, I don't wanna watch 20 minutes of video, that I can safely assume, shows absolutely no such proof. That is why I am asking you directly, especially since those are your words.

[color=A7E85D]So what is this proof that you speak of?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

mk... The Mayans have no Apocalypse claims....... They stated end of time! They have words for Apocalypse, Armageddon Yet chose a different pondered phrase in their society.

Why does the white man blindly read Armageddon..... Who's agenda is it for us to think its Armageddon. How can NASA debunk something that the Mayans didn't even say?

edit on 10-3-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sorry OP, I have 3 telescopes tracking the sun when visible. One in white light, one in the Ha spectrum, and another one in the Ca spectrum, and I have yet to see a single sign of Niburu (except for the occational artifacts produced by my own equipment.) My go-to telescopes still take me to the planets, as well as my old manual telescope, in which I have to do the maths manually. If an object like Niburu was in the solar system, the orbits of the planets would have been perturbed, so that I can't find them in my telescopes, but the planets are exactly where they are supposed to be.

I am sure all the other amateur astronomers on ATS (and there are a number) will agree that the planets are exactly where they are, and the ones looking at the sun, would also not have seen a single sign of Niburu (or whatever you want to call it)
edit on 10/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

Sorry, but......your OP is clear, then this post is making me

Now I know it's true.
Whenever I see you jump into threads with your "no way, impossible" attitude, I know then that the thread is most likely on to something.

I can't recall one thread that I've read where you don't attempt to debunk the theory.

Can you show real prof? not government sponsored prof of this:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i honestly feel that the only thing that 2012 is going to do is change our consciousness. I feel like its already starting...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by krazyiven

One of the only things that will happen in 2012 is most likely Obama getting 4 more years.
I don't think Israel can wait that long, do you?

link   
6,000,000,000 brains are neurochemically the same.

Think about that.

link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

However one can simply look back through time and see that no destruction has occurred. 13 baktuns is equivalent to about 5,000 years. Yet we have a string of uninterrupted civilizations dating back at least 6,000 years with no indication of a great cataclysm. Then even before that we have about 95,000 years of human history with no indication of a cataclysm. Of course going with the claim that we are entering into the 5th civilization then one must wonder why the "Mayan calendar" only accounts for about 20,000 years of human history when we have existed for about 100,000. It also ignores the fact that the world is several billions of years old. So it makes no sense to buy into these claims that a cataclysm occurs every 13 baktuns.

Of course this also ignores the fact that there is no indication the Long Count even repeats every 13 baktuns. If we look at Coba Stela 1 (which some researchers have dubbed the Grand Long Count) we see a calendar that extends back trillions of years with no indication of repeating. We also have plenty of examples of Long Counts that extend past 13 baktuns. The truth is there is not a single example of the Long Count ending after 13 baktuns. I would however be interested in knowing where this claim originates. I know it is part inspired by the Popol Vuh but I can't actually find where the reference to 13 baktuns comes from.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
To all that have posted so far..

I posted to contradicting videos for the purpose of in-sighting debate LOL and it sure worked...

I myself. Think something is coming Dec. 21st 2012. There's far too much ancient artifacts saying Nibiru exist..
And the fact of D.U.M.B. tunnels, seeds vaults, Even community underground complexes popping up (down) everywhere for a million plus a room tends to add to the validity something is coming..

There's something going on and if you are not part of the Big Club.. You're going to be left to the wolves...

Just my opinion..

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
]Look not to the heavens for the ruin you seek, for it is already amongest us.

Sorry had to .It just intrest me how so many people look out there for our end when we are steadilly working on it every day here on Earth.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
theabysmal.wordpress.com...

here is a good chronology of cycles and extinction events
some nice graphs and time lines

the magnetic field is dwindling

At a meeting of the American Geophysical Union here on Thursday, scientists presented research investigating the cause of the decline, its possible effects on the planet and what might be learned from geological records of earlier reversals.

The decline, as measured by magnetometers on Earth's surface, is 10 percent in the last 150 years.

www.nytimes.com...

There's a mini ice age coming, says man who beats weather experts

www.smh.com.au...

also

Next week, next month, next year, it's not a question of if, only when.
One day you'll wake up - or you won't wake up, rather - buried beneath nine stories of snow. It's all part of a dependable, predictable cycle, a natural cycle that returns like clockwork every 11,500 years.

. . And since the last ice age ended almost exactly 11,500 years ago .

www.iceagenow.com...
edit on 10-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-3-2012 by Danbones because: addd and then had to fix quotes

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Actually, you have been misled:

There's far too much ancient artifacts saying Nibiru exist..

There are plenty of scholars and experts on ATS who are very familiar with the actual translations of ancient sources.

The "Nibiru" claims stem from one man, basically --- a fellow named Zechariah Sitchen. He (wrongly) claims that he "translated" ancient Sumerian texts....and he's the one who concocted this hoax and myth of "Nibiru".

Now....all it takes is a little bi of common sense and knowledge of astronomy to understand that this "Nibiru" is non-existent. Think on this:

We can see Jupiter with the naked eye. Even though it is a LONG ways away.....it is very big. Same with Saturn, even farther away,, and although a bit smaller than Jupiter, still can be seen with the naked eye. Next is Uranus....harder to see, need very good viewing conditions, but it's still possible.

All ^ ^ ^ without a telescope or binoculars.

So, any such thing as "Nibiru" that was "inbound"? It would be dead obvious, to everyone on the planet (by now). Especially as the stated (and fully a hoax) claim of an "arrival" in December of this year.

Think about the speeds of the bodies in our Solar System, and then you can work out the distance to cover. Jupiter, for instance, is about 5 A.U. distance from the Sun (One A.U. is the average distance of Earth to the Sun, or roughly 93,000,000 miles).

Now, simple math can tell you the velocity needed if say....Jupiter were to suddenly defy all laws of physics and orbital mechanics, and make a 90° turn and head inbound, toward the Sun.....for it to arrive in the vicinity of Earth's orbit in December, 2012.

Ain't gonna happen. And, neither is "Nibiru". Since it doesn't even exist!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Except there is not a single ancient artifact that says Nibiru exists. Just as there are no ancient prophecies pointing to December 21, 2012. The original claim regarding Nibiru comes from Zechariah Sitchin. Now let's ignore the fact that he believed Nibiru wasn't returning until around 2900 and instead focus on his own source. Sitchin's basis for believing in Nibiru is Cylinder Seal VA 243. On this seal we see two men under a night sky. Sitchin claims that the thirteen objects in the upper left corner are a depiction of our solar system. The problem with this claim is that it depicts no such thing. The way the Sumerians depicted the planets involved using a different symbol for each one. None of these symbols appear on this seal. What does appear is the symbol for star. So what is depicted are stars in the sky.

The name Nibiru isn't even Sumerian in origin. The word nibiru first appears with the Akkadians where they used it to mean a point of crossing, such as at a river. It then appears again with the Babylonians where it means the highest point of the ecliptic. Occasionally a planet would be in this position and the term would also apply to it. The most common examples we have of this occurring are with Jupiter and Mercury.

In short the entire basis for claims regarding Nibiru are based on bad research. Throw in the fact that the claims regarding Nibiru and 2012 come from Nancy Lieder and you have absolutely no reason to buy into the theory. If you are unfamiliar with Lieder here is a quick history. She has predicted the coming of Nibiru on at least two separate occasions before this. Her previous one was for 2003. During this time period she actually went on the radio and told people to kill their pets. Of course when 2003 passed without incident she pretended like she was lying the whole time to... I'm not really sure. Her explanation doesn't really make sense. Anyway after that she stated that Nibiru would return in 2012. It should once again be pointed out that SItchin (the one who invented Nibiru) believed that it wouldn't return until 2900. In fact one of the last books he published was pretty much written for the sole purpose of saying that Lieder was wrong.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Approximately every 100,000 years Earth's climate warms up temporarily. These warm periods, called interglacial periods, appear to last approximately 15,000 to 20,000 years before regressing back to a cold ice age climate. At year 18,000 and counting our current interglacial vacation from the Ice Age is much nearer its end than its beginning...

some nice graphs I can't copy.....geologic record bla bla etc..actually very interesting

....Periods of Earth warming and cooling occur in cycles. This is well understood, as is the fact that small-scale cycles of about 40 years exist within larger-scale cycles of 400 years, which in turn exist inside still larger scale cycles of 20,000 years, and so on.

www.geocraft.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Of course we don't need no stinkin Nibiru
Not when certain counties with 400 plus bombs keep threatening to bomb every thing in sight, thinking some non existan nibirian god will save only them, and with companies like GE building fucushimas left right and center on fault lines, and water sides, just so they can breed weapons grade bomb guts, instead of building safer thorium reactors NOT on sea side fault lines...

nope
nibiru is just a pie in the sky distraction from the plate already on the table

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join