It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Things The Bible Forbids Other Than Homosexuality

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Religeon is for morons. That is all there is to it. It came in handy back in the day to keep people in line, but I hope in these modern times people will understand that you don't need some invisible elf or threat of eternal damnation to live a good moral life.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
The Christian law is for Christians, marriage is a Christian covenant used by some Pagans.
Stolen.
If you as Homosexuals want a civil contract, then make up your own.
Marriage is a religious covenant.
The Op statement is based on sheer ignorance or blatant lies.
It is embarrassing how silly some people are.
Judaism is not Christianity, even a child can comprehend that simple fact. Just looking with you eyes can the difference be seen, if you decide to engage your brain. Wow

Atheists get marriage licenses all the time - why are the Christians not complaining about this? Last time I checked, it was a sin to not believe in God.

There are Christian churches who join two gays in a marriage ceremony, and pronounce them married in the eyes of God. Many gays are Christians and follow the TRUE teachings of Jesus Christ (love one another, be kind to your neighbor, treat others as you would like to be treated).

The U.S. government is secular - a marriage license has nothing to do with religion. Tax-paying gays have just as much right to a marriage license as Christians, Atheists, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims. Gays are just as diverse as heterosexuals - some are Christians, some are Atheists, some are Jews/Buddhists/Hindus/Muslims.

edit on 9-3-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
God didn't change. He's the same yesterday as today.
It's only our thoughts that have been changed, seduced to believe that "times have changed".
They've BEEN changed through deception and indoctrination because man cannot see the past in order to recognise it.

I once read an account of a cinema, in 1913, showing actual footage of a shoot-out. The story appeared in the newspapers at the time, recounting how most of the women fainted from shock and the men vomited at seeing the images of a real shoot-out. This is the REAL reaction to such scenes. My child, who does not see violence, has nearly the same reaction if he pops downstairs during one of my husband's tv shows like NCIS. My friend's children, of the same age, do not bat an eyelid because they've been desensitised to it through continual exposure. We can say the same thing about the casualness of sex - continual bombardment from the media indoctrinates our youth to develop an unhealthy pre-occupation with sex. But somehow most of society accepts the notion that we "just evolved", never once suspecting that they've been deceptively led down the path by a group that seeks nothing but their destruction in the eyes of God Himself. And that group owns our television networks, film studios, television studios, publishing houses and our government. The change of morals isn't happening in the Muslim countries but only in those "western" countries with a professing "Christian" population and their descendants. Why? The Israel of God started accepting Christ Jesus 2000 years ago. Who does His enemies come against at the end of the Age? The same.

God promised to write His laws in the hearts of the descendants of His faithful, and their descendants, and their descendants.....and the only way to get rid of that little voice in their minds and hearts that says "this isn't right" is to saturate their visual environment with stimulus that appeals to the senses... I want sex, I want what he has, I want more money, I want to have a bigger house, success equals money, the poor deserve their lot. It's the same thing that Eve succumbed to - temptation so strong that she disobeyed His command. And once this group has enough of our youngsters fully onboard with this new "free" lifestyle, God is then transformed into the "bigot".
But God never changed. Only our thoughts did - the devil has placed many of us, including a multitude of my fellow "Christians" into the darkness of this world. Only the Light of Christ in their lives will give them sight to obey.

Many of the laws that the article makes light of have spiritual meaning. Eating an unclean animal can spiritually mean to stay away from unclean occult doctrines. Who did Jesus cast the demons into - pigs, the basis of those farmers livelihoods. Spiritually, the doctrines that are plying our minds in and outside of the church are making people fortunes. So people can laugh all they want to about most of these "laws", but they have a far greater meaning - to keep us safe spiritually in this dark world slowly descending into moral decay. Sin separates us from God Himself, it creates a barrier. And for those who will contemplate it, it's why it's everywhere and why it is pushed continually as "normal", "healthy" and "modern".

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

god didnt promise nothing .. get ure facts right 1 man could hear his voice .. i believe we have a term for that today any guess's? i find it ironic that maybe jesus has been and has been locked up in an institute claiming he is the son of god .. lol god has never shown himself and never will ... heaven is a fairytale for those afraid of the dark . ...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

marriage is a Christian covenant

utter twaddle

even reading your own bible shows how wrong you are [ hint = the jews ] - never mind actually looking at other cultures who have marriage arrangments independant of christianity

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
The change of morals isn't happening in the Muslim countries but only in those "western" countries with a professing "Christian" population and their descendants.

Yes, Muslim countries still stone people and cut off their hands. You think that's ok??

Many of the laws that the article makes light of have spiritual meaning. Eating an unclean animal can spiritually mean to stay away from unclean occult doctrines. Who did Jesus cast the demons into - pigs, the basis of those farmers livelihoods.

I don't agree. I think that pig flesh was literally unclean, because of the conditions they were forced to live in, and the nasty stuff that was fed to them. Now, pig farmers practice cleaner methods of raising pigs, so the meat is much cleaner.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I don't think people understand the OT Law does not apply to NT Christians. However the NT talks about fornication, divorce and homosexuality as being wrong. Also cursing.
edit on 9-3-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

Jesus never said that homosexuality was wrong.

A little off-topic here, but - Jesus said men shouldn't divorce their wives. He never said wives shouldn't divorce their husbands. Why is this? For one thing, women didn't have the power to divorce their husbands - if they were in a terrible marriage, they didn't have any choice but to stay in it. Also, when a man divorced his wife, she had two choices - become a beggar or a prostitute. Jesus saw this as a sad, terrible thing (and rightly so!), so he told men not to divorce their wives. In today's times, women have much more choices and legal rights, so I firmly believe Jesus would be ok-dokey with miserable, loveless, and abusive marriages ending in divorce. Just an example of something that may have made sense back in Biblical times, but doesn't really make sense now, such as eating pork (which can be processed quite cleanly now), and how to treat slaves.

Did you ever see the connection between all the tabus of masturbating, sodomy, contraception and homosexuality in the Bible? Back then, they were trying to build up populations, because the more populated a community was, the more powerful it would be. You can't build up populations by practicing masturbation, sodomy, or sex with the same gender, so these things were very much frowned upon. Now, we have the opposite problem of over-population, so all these "laws"and prohibitions just don't make sense anymore.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I am guilty of the following on that list...
5,9,10, 13 I am not sure about 6 that is
a maybe.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
LOVE this thread. I very much enjoyed the hardcore bible-thumpers getting their knickers in a knot without actually addressing or refuting the 13 points made in the OP's link. NOT SO HOT to be on the receiving end of your own judgemental claptrap, is it?

I'd like to think that you'd consider your attitudes and actions in future as a result of this but I know you won't.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
i've said it before and i'll say it again, religon in the hands of someone rational is fine. in the hands of someone who is irrational, religion can be a very dangerous thing (how many of those rules being broken results in death? death for cursing your parents name?!?). whether a book says you should do something or not is irrelevant because everyone of those rules will have been broken and the punishment dosen't fit the crime (if you can call eating shellfish a crime). in my opinion organized religon is a bad thing, it's not that i don't believe in god, i just don't believe in organized religion, because if there is a god he/she/it will have nothing to do with a book that was written by men over a thousand years ago.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Religions is built around the values of purity and being civilized.

Tattoos: The body is considered sacred and should not be defiled.
Injury: The House of God being a sacred space, one should only enter while clean
Psychics: One should consult God, not the deceased.
Gossip: Ones words are considered sacred and they should not be wasted
Children Cursing their Parents: Ones words are considered sacred they should not be used to curse

The other points are considered unclean by some not by others.

One of the numerous logical fallacies of religion-haters is to spill the baby with the bathwater. Just because items like ham or homosexuality are debatable, does not mean that the whole idea of purity and all other biblical recommendations should be dismissed.

edit on 9-3-2012 by lucid eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Context context context. I am embarrassed to have to correct adults that should have learned reading comprehension skills by now.

Who was being addresed by those laws? 13th century bc Jews.
Why? So that they would be a holy (set apart) people amongst the pagans who practiced all sorts of filthy behavior

If any of you bothered to read the entire bible as opposed to cherry picking verses off of atheists websites, perhaps you would see that there was a lot more to the laws than their face value. Ever wonder why a pure spotless lamb was killed for Passover? Hint: it was a foreshadowing of a sinless man that was to die on our behalf ie Christ.

Anyways, there are things that all humans instantly know are wrong (despite how much you might enjoy them, your conscience at one point was screaming at you) murder, theft, sodomy etc.

You know what? I give up, there is no point arguing on here. I had a lot more to write, but no one here cares. If the op really wanted an answer he would have gone to a site not deicated to bashing all things Christian. See my signature

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
First off, I believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and that the Bible is the infallible Word of God - that everything written in it is truth. However, I am not one of those Christians who has "hatred" for homosexuals. Get that out of your mind now. I believe fully, 100%, that if a homosexual believed in God, and Jesus, 100%, that their sins are forgiven; then they go to Heaven*. Because it's not about what WE do, it's about what JESUS did.

*This is a free ticket to Heaven, yes. But don't misconstrue that into believing that "Grace" means 'permission to Sin'. It doesn't, but if you truly received Christ, you would at the very least, feel convicted for any Sin you commit. The bible just says to work out the old man. It doesn't say get rid of it - because you can't.. but at least you try.

Anyways. Because it's just been established that it's not about what WE do, but about what JESUS did, all of the points made in the argument(?) in the article are now moot. Obviously it's not referring to a person with my beliefs (non-denominational Christian, for those who want to be technical), but allow me to put it in simpler terms:

1) We are all Sinners, no one is perfect.
2) The penalty of Sin is death; just as a single sin (fall of man - Adam and Eve) caused this world to be flooded with Sin of every kind, so does a single sin (lying, stealing, etc) condemn a person to hell for eternity.
3) Mankind is incapable of being perfect on their own; mankind cannot live sinless lives.. mankind is destined for Hell.
4) God knew this, and so He sent his Son on a mission to carry the full burden of Sin - to BECOME SIN - and to die. To destroy the penalty of Sin, death; which was completed upon his resurrection.

So. All of this "stuff" in the Bible? the Old Testament? You know why you hear some Christians say "we don't follow that anymore"? Well, it's not that we DON'T, but it's more that we CAN'T. Sure, we try, but we can't fulfill the Law - but here is the beauty of it; Jesus did it for us, and all we have to do is believe in Jesus (yes, that's all you have to do - see my thread in my signature below to discuss this).

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

so what about all the modern xians who profess to beliving in the bible LITERALY
or you can't go to heaven ( also named after EA )
not to mention having to listen to them change words to make it fit?
or skipping stuff if it is convienient

and almost NONE of them agree with each other on the personal or sect levels

for the xians bashing the OP
I think illustrating this (and some of the posts tend to bear this out) may be part of his reason for posting
edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd

Anyways, there are things that all humans instantly know are wrong (despite how much you might enjoy them, your conscience at one point was screaming at you) murder, theft, sodomy etc.

Yes, I instantly knew that slavery was wrong, IN SPITE of what the Bible says. I also instantly know that stoning is wrong, cutting off hands is wrong, demonizing masturbation is wrong, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

You still didn't address the 13 points made in the OP's link. Do that and we'll have something to discuss.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Religions is built around the values of purity and being civilized.

Tattoos: The body is considered sacred and should not be defiled.
Injury: The House of God being a sacred space, one should only enter while clean
Psychics: One should consult God, not the deceased.
Gossip: Ones words are considered sacred and they should not be wasted
Children Cursing their Parents: Ones words are considered sacred they should not be used to curse

The other points are considered unclean by some not by others.

One of the numerous logical fallacies of religion-haters is to spill the baby with the bathwater. Just because items like ham or homosexuality are debatable, does not mean that the whole idea of purity and all other biblical recommendations should be dismissed.

I don't dismiss everything in the Bible. I like most of what Jesus says, especially the part about treating others as you would like to be treated.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeo

You still didn't address the 13 points made in the OP's link. Do that and we'll have something to discuss.

I actually addressed them in my last post. The general context of Religion is purity. Various denominations disagree on just how pure one has to be. Its nothing more complicated than that. The reason there are different denominations is because every person is unique and draws the line elsewhere.

Is this that hard to understand?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

I don't dismiss everything in the Bible. I like most of what Jesus says, especially the part about treating others as you would like to be treated.

In that case you have discernment, which is a valuable trait.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
I am embarrassed to have to correct adults that should have learned reading comprehension skills by now.

Who was being addresed by those laws? 13th century bc Jews...there are things that all humans instantly know are wrong (despite how much you might enjoy them, your conscience at one point was screaming at you) murder, theft, sodomy etc.

I am not embarrassed to have to correct what I presume to be an adult that should have learned that a human being may do what they like with their body so long as it does not harm them, or others.

As for equating anal sex with murder, only a despicable human being would say such a thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join