It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Things The Bible Forbids Other Than Homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

13 Things The Bible Forbids Other Than Homosexuality (That You're Probably Guilty Of Doing)

When claiming that the Bible forbids homosexuality, most people point to Leviticus 18:22 which reads, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination." But others have argued that the passage is merely one of many archaic religious laws that are no longer relevant to today's modern times and do not need to be upheld. Below are 13 other things that the Bible forbids. How many are you guilty of doing? www.huffingtonpost.com...

Well, former actor Kirk Cameron recently used his "Whatever happened to?" pulpit to take shots at homosexuality...falling back on the old Biblical admonitions.

Funny how few people are stoned to death anymore, even though 'it's in the Bible'...yet I digress. This little item suggests that perhaps there's a little cheery pickin' going on. Have fun, eh?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Bummer for religious folk....

Their God condems them for having a ham sandwich?

Thats just tragic..

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The whole thing is just cherry pickin'. Why were some books included and not others? Because a bunch of old men wanted to gain control so used the books that said what they wanted. Do we really need a bible to guide us in how we treat others?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Bummer for religious folk....

Their God condems them for having a ham sandwich?

Thats just tragic..

I'm not sure, but that may go double for Ham & Cheese!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No tats. Got to love that one.
Nothing like seeing those dudes with a cross tattooed on their arm or whatnot..boy wont they be suprised when they are having tea with lucifer on death because of it.

"But..I helped the poor and converted an african village to christianity"
"Ya, but you have a tat on your arm..therefore, you deserve eternal torture."

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
No tats. Got to love that one.
Nothing like seeing those dudes with a cross tattooed on their arm or whatnot..boy wont they be suprised when they are having tea with lucifer on death because of it.

"But..I helped the poor and converted an african village to christianity"
"Ya, but you have a tat on your arm..therefore, you deserve eternal torture."

Like George Carlin once asked, "How many people are doing eternity for eating meat on a Friday?"

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Humans love to pick and choose what to follow

and they always need someone to blame something on

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I love it .. yeah the religious are a bit hypocritical about what laws they choose to obey and which they don't .. homosexuality is soooo bad, it says so in the bible! .. while they munch on their ham sandwich and gossip about the gay guy next door.

I've brought up losing your virginity before marriage being punishable by death, as well as cursing your parents to friends of mine that are religious .. and they just say times have changed... well who decided that those laws could now be broken but others can't ..? surely not God ..

Homosexuality wasn't even in the original texts.. man added that.. just as man added hell which also didn't exist in the original texts..

I'm glad I made the decision to leave my religion behind.. ( I'm still an ordained minister, but now an atheist )

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yup. I'm pretty much evil incarnate. Quite the heretic it seems...
I knew I was doomed from the start though, sins of the father

Eating ham, tattoo, not a virgin, etc.....
I've only been to church a couple of times, the condition I was in when I showed up for Christmas Mass at the not so innocent age of 16

I should have been smited on the spot, lol.

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads

Heads have corners?

I wonder what the complete list is, I'll bet it's long.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Originally posted by Akragon

ham sammich?

Nothing is better then Eternal happiness
a ham sandwhich is better then nothing
so there
a ham sandwhich is better then eternal happiness

damn no wonder there is a proscription on ham sandwhiches

can't have no fun no how

PS
(IMHO)
rabbis from the torah determined that boys are not men so it is OK to lie with them ( to them, about them)
this is one of the prime reasons you have catholic proiests thinkin they still go to heaven AFTER gay pedophilia.
Its also why they call that sort of elipsoid thinking Semantics
edit on 8-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
All but one came from the Old Testament. Christians believe that once Jesus died on the cross, the "new law" came into effect. The only one I noticed from the NT was the one addressing divorce. To Christians, the OT is history.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHA... women shouldn't talk in church as it is "a shame"...

too bad they are aloud to talk at home... it should be there that they should sometimes keep quiet... lol...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
A quote from Huffpo:

"Now that we know what Kirk Cameron thinks of homosexuality, let's find out where Tina Yothers stands on the death penalty."

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Eating Shrimp, Lobster, And Other Assorted Seafood..... That's blasphemy, you better not come to the maritimes preaching that!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I have yet to go to a church service and not see woman both gossiping, and therefor talking in the house of the lord. What utter ridiculousness. The people who believe this crap, or cherry pick to make it fit their own personal beliefs which are normally based on convenience, are just as ridiculous.

You could make the argument muslim extremists are the only followers of religion which actually attempt to follow the teachings to a t. Funny how we go to war with people who follow these ridiculous old books because we say they're extremists. Actually, they just don't cherry pick the way westerners do.

Never understood why people follow some of it. It's either completely true, or completely false. By not following the teachings word for word, which no one does, you're admitting your God makes mistakes.

By the way, Jesus also said in his gospels that if you eat from a fig tree you'll burn in hell. I did find it quite odd when I saw figs as one of the snacks at a church convention a while back. Guess it's just not convenient to read or have knowledge of those teachings. Listen to your minister for 30 minutes once a week and you've done enough thinking on the subject, apparently.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The Old Testament is nothing but rules for living as a Jew 2000 years ago. If you have read both the Old and New Testaments, you cannot help but notice that they are in contradiction with each other.

The God of the Old Testament is way too human, way too mean, way too picky, jealous, and has anger management issues. The God of the new Testament is kinder and gentler. The God of the OT smites everybody for all kinds of offenses. The NT God says, "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and "turn the other cheek".

I look at it as a history book, in which certain thoughts and ways of thinking are the same as they were back then (examples: Ecclesiastes and Psalms). To take everything literally, knowing full well that certain books were left out, and that some things contradict others, is for people who are too lazy to think for themselves.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
There was a fellow that tried to see if the rules could be followed, he tried it for one year, and documented it.
I saw him interviewed on tv, it was really interesting.
He even threw a pebble at an adulterer.

www.fourhourworkweek.com...

What was the hardest for your wife to put up with?

Well, my wife’s a saint. At one point, I built a biblical hut in our living room, and she didn’t appreciate the construction project in our apartment. Also, the Bible says not to touch women during that time of the month. Even more strictly, though, it says you shouldn’t sit in a seat where an “impure” woman has sat. My wife didn’t like that, so in retaliation, she sat on every seat in our apartment. I was forced to do a lot of standing that year.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
A quote from Huffpo:

"Now that we know what Kirk Cameron thinks of homosexuality, let's find out where Tina Yothers stands on the death penalty."

That's hilarious!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've brought up several of those to my family, who are pretty die hard Christians. I do believe in God, but me and the Bible have our differences.

It was hilarious that when I brought up these points to my family, they had no clue what I was talking about. The conversation actually got started because they were saying the Koran has crazy rules in there and that's why Muslims are such extremists. I simply replied with everyone in the room that deserved to die according to the Bible, and I listed their sins. I embarassed them all but made my point that EVERY holy book has crazy rules, and NOT EVERYONE follows these crazy rules, including Muslims.

I got tired of their religion bashing. All of them have the same ideas, and it's hilarious that the most "devout" of them all have no idea what is in their book.

Also, for a good read, check out the Nag Hammadi Texts that were omitted from the Bible. They speak of reincarnation, and Emperor Justinian took them out in fear his people would act out of line since they knew they "had a second chance".

Nag Hammadi Texts

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I agree, not just Muslim extremist but all followers of Islam are far more devoted to their religion than their Christian counterparts. The only sect of Christianity that I would consider truly devoted would be the Mormons, those young kids in suits that knock do that before they are accepted as adults to the Mormon Church.

There is a lot of things in the Bible that is just plain crazy for modern times, not just the condemning of homosexuality. That said some of the passages are down right entertaining, see the book of Ezekiel and the story of the adulterous sisters.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join