13 Things The Bible Forbids Other Than Homosexuality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I love it .. yeah the religious are a bit hypocritical about what laws they choose to obey and which they don't .. homosexuality is soooo bad, it says so in the bible! .. while they munch on their ham sandwich and gossip about the gay guy next door.

I've brought up losing your virginity before marriage being punishable by death, as well as cursing your parents to friends of mine that are religious .. and they just say times have changed... well who decided that those laws could now be broken but others can't ..? surely not God ..

Homosexuality wasn't even in the original texts.. man added that.. just as man added hell which also didn't exist in the original texts..

I'm glad I made the decision to leave my religion behind.. ( I'm still an ordained minister, but now an atheist )

Yeah, God already knew all about homosexuality, and he didn't care.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

See! It's okay, as long as it's YOUR manservant.
edit on 8-3-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm a very good boy.I cleared nearly every hurdle, However I once ate crackers in a chinese restaurant that contained shrimp, PLEASE BURY ME IN AN ASBESTOS COFFIN!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
reply to post by MysticPearl

I agree, not just Muslim extremist but all followers of Islam are far more devoted to their religion than their Christian counterparts.

Not so...lot's of moderates out there...same as Jews, Christians, Mormons...what have you.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You are right. No that I think about it almost all of the world's religions have sects of very devoted people. The so called Christians who are quick to judge someone else are anything but devoted and most of them know little of their Holy book, just bits and pieces that make them feel better.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
The whole thing is just cherry pickin'. Why were some books included and not others? Because a bunch of old men wanted to gain control so used the books that said what they wanted. Do we really need a bible to guide us in how we treat others?

Then why don't you atheists go and form your own countries and stop trying to subvert this one? Really you atheists are worse then Jehovah witnesses. Added the psychopath Alinsky like nature of the article, this only confirms the lessons that the Bolsheviks taught: atheists will never leave well enough alone and mind their own business. Atheists will never work to form their own communities, they will only seek to destroy communities they disagree with. Atheism is the most tyrannical and sinister ideology ever espoused.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I love it .. yeah the religious are a bit hypocritical about what laws they choose to obey and which they don't .. homosexuality is soooo bad, it says so in the bible! .. while they munch on their ham sandwich and gossip about the gay guy next door.

I've brought up losing your virginity before marriage being punishable by death, as well as cursing your parents to friends of mine that are religious .. and they just say times have changed... well who decided that those laws could now be broken but others can't ..? surely not God ..

Homosexuality wasn't even in the original texts.. man added that.. just as man added hell which also didn't exist in the original texts..

I'm glad I made the decision to leave my religion behind.. ( I'm still an ordained minister, but now an atheist )

And I love the fact that time and time again atheists prove what pathological liars and intellectual bankrupt morons you all are. The bible doesn't say "death for losing your virginity", but it does speak in language summed up by one phrase: "shotgun wedding".

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by SaturnFX
No tats. Got to love that one.
Nothing like seeing those dudes with a cross tattooed on their arm or whatnot..boy wont they be suprised when they are having tea with lucifer on death because of it.

"But..I helped the poor and converted an african village to christianity"
"Ya, but you have a tat on your arm..therefore, you deserve eternal torture."

Like George Carlin once asked, "How many people are doing eternity for eating meat on a Friday?"

No one. The whole no meat on Friday was started in the Middle Ages as a way of limiting the production of seminal matter, thereby reducing lust as argued by Thomas Aquinas.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

The whole thing is just cherry pickin'. Why were some books included and not others? Because a bunch of old men wanted to gain control so used the books that said what they wanted. Do we really need a bible to guide us in how we treat others?

Then why don't you atheists go and form your own countries and stop trying to subvert this one? Really you atheists are worse then Jehovah witnesses. Added the psychopath Alinsky like nature of the article, this only confirms the lessons that the Bolsheviks taught: atheists will never leave well enough alone and mind their own business. Atheists will never work to form their own communities, they will only seek to destroy communities they disagree with. Atheism is the most tyrannical and sinister ideology ever espoused.

This is one of the more ridiculous, illogical posts I've read in a while. What makes you think everyone who believes the bible is BS is an atheist? Many people don't believe in organized religion yet are very spiritual. Some agnostic. What do you mean by "you atheists?" Anyone who doesn't agree with you?

Atheists won't work to form their own communities? Why would they? Form a community based on not believing in the God and what, kick all the religious people out? What for? That's dumb, plain and simple.

So is saying atheists will "seek and destroy communities they disagree with". Do you just have zero understanding of world history? Are you one of those religious people who doesn't have a clue of the history of warfare, murder, ethnic/religious cleansing, basically genocide, and more that religion has inflicted on mankind for for thousands of years? And atheists will seek and destroy?

I mean, where do you get this stuff. It's some of the most illogical, uneducated, uninformed opinions I've heard in awhile. So the person in here sticking up for religion also happens to be the one most ignorant to religion. I hoped for better.
edit on 9-3-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I don't think people understand the OT Law does not apply to NT Christians. However the NT talks about fornication, divorce and homosexuality as being wrong. Also cursing.
edit on 9-3-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm sure many of you have seen this before but its quite funny and relevant to the thread:

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
Jim

Source

edit on 9/3/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
How original, a thread to mock God at ATS.

Here's a grave sin rejected today found in Scripture, especially since the "pill."

Contraception.

God doesn't change, He created sex for marriage and procreation. Both or it becomes a selfish act. Children are a blessing. God decides life and death not us. There may be a period of time, you can abstain if you have a serious reason in your marriage for not having another child. God is for the unitive, a woman is only fertile for a short period of time each month.

search Birth Control at www.catholic.com...

...The Bible mentions at least one form of contraception specifically and condemns it. Coitus interruptus, was used by Onan to avoid fulfilling his duty according to the ancient Jewish law of fathering children for one’s dead brother. "Judah said to Onan, ‘Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.’ But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife he spilled the semen on the ground, lest he should give offspring to his brother. And what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord, and he slew him also" (Gen. 38:8–10).

The biblical penalty for not giving your brother’s widow children was public humiliation, not death (Deut. 25:7–10). But Onan received death as punishment for his crime. This means his crime was more than simply not fulfilling the duty of a brother-in-law. He lost his life because he violated natural law, as Jewish and Christian commentators have always understood. For this reason, certain forms of contraception have historically been known as "Onanism," after the man who practiced it, just as homosexuality has historically been known as "Sodomy," after the men of Sodom, who practiced that vice (cf. Gen. 19).

Contraception was so far outside the biblical mindset and so obviously wrong that it did not need the frequent condemnations other sins did. Scripture condemns the practice when it mentions it. Once a moral principle has been established in the Bible, every possible application of it need not be mentioned. For example, the general principle that theft is wrong was clearly established in Scripture; but there’s no need to provide an exhaustive list of every kind of theft. Similarly, since the principle that contraception is wrong has been established by being condemned when it’s mentioned in the Bible, every particular form of contraception does not need to be dealt with in Scripture in order for us to see that it is condemned...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe
How original, a thread to mock God at ATS.

Here's a grave sin rejected today found in Scripture, especially since the "pill."

Contraception.

God doesn't change, He created sex for marriage and procreation. Both or it becomes a selfish act. Children are a blessing. God decides life and death not us. There may be a period of time, you can abstain if you have a serious reason in your marriage for not having another child. God is for the unitive, a woman is only fertile for a short period of time each month.

search Birth Control at www.catholic.com...

...The Bible mentions at least one form of contraception specifically and condemns it. Coitus interruptus, was used by Onan to avoid fulfilling his duty according to the ancient Jewish law of fathering children for one’s dead brother. "Judah said to Onan, ‘Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.’ But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife he spilled the semen on the ground, lest he should give offspring to his brother. And what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord, and he slew him also" (Gen. 38:8–10).

The biblical penalty for not giving your brother’s widow children was public humiliation, not death (Deut. 25:7–10). But Onan received death as punishment for his crime. This means his crime was more than simply not fulfilling the duty of a brother-in-law. He lost his life because he violated natural law, as Jewish and Christian commentators have always understood. For this reason, certain forms of contraception have historically been known as "Onanism," after the man who practiced it, just as homosexuality has historically been known as "Sodomy," after the men of Sodom, who practiced that vice (cf. Gen. 19).

Contraception was so far outside the biblical mindset and so obviously wrong that it did not need the frequent condemnations other sins did. Scripture condemns the practice when it mentions it. Once a moral principle has been established in the Bible, every possible application of it need not be mentioned. For example, the general principle that theft is wrong was clearly established in Scripture; but there’s no need to provide an exhaustive list of every kind of theft. Similarly, since the principle that contraception is wrong has been established by being condemned when it’s mentioned in the Bible, every particular form of contraception does not need to be dealt with in Scripture in order for us to see that it is condemned...

Did you read the OP's list of 13 things the Bible forbids? Do you follow this list exactly in your life? If not, why not?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I am the heathen of my family I will admit to

breaking 5 of those OT laws...but I won't say which ones..

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The Christian law is for Christians, marriage is a Christian covenant used by some Pagans.
Stolen.
If you as Homosexuals want a civil contract, then make up your own.
Marriage is a religious covenant.
The Op statement is based on sheer ignorance or blatant lies.
It is embarrassing how silly some people are.
Judaism is not Christianity, even a child can comprehend that simple fact. Just looking with you eyes can the difference be seen, if you decide to engage your brain. Wow

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

kay,

Your avatar pic, the woman is beautiful, who is she?

Oh my, the link in the OP...it's a gay link! In the Old and the New
Testament, it's very clear, unrepentant sodomites are in Hell. God
is merciful, confession and repentance for the life of your soul.

We are all prodigal sons because we are all sinners. God our Father is waiting with open arms for our return.

The list, some of it is true but if you every wanted to show "private interpretation of Scripture" to be heresy Read that list.

I have a temper....

God bless you kay,

colbe

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Pork and shellfish are pretty disgusting anyway. Pigs are filthy animals that will eat anything, and their flesh actually resembles humans so much in fact, that it is used in skin grafts or organ transplants. So, I've since stopped eating pork, for those reasons and some spiritual factors as well.

I feel about the same with shellfish, I've never liked it. Aside from that, they're the bottom-feeding scavengers of the sea, they eat from the wastes of the ocean.

So I choose not to eat either, because I think it alters my state of mind in negative ways. I'll eventually go full vegetarian, but I haven't the willpower (or resources) yet. The bible may be on to something in that aspect, the others are debatable.

Remarrying, consulting psychics, gossiping, cursing your parents... a lot of people don't do these things by default.
edit on 9-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
re cursing
jeeez
you would have to be pretty stupid to curse an all powerful god that's proven himself to exist

I like the part where the last civilizations were so bad god sent an ice age...like clockwork every 26,000 years.
and he sent it to both ends of the earth ( which seems to be named after Ea...)

shouldn't the wearing of furs not be on this list?

PS
yes I know I know, he wanted to make an example of them so afterwards man would learn to be righteous....
which is why its so hard to find even a trace of them...

PPS
eating clams...well you know.... there's clams...and there's clams
edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
if u was starving you would eat it all no matter what it is be it pig or shrimp . ... u would even eat human in order to stay alive .. this should be in every known religion and text .. man + woman = baby .. no in-betweens coz if everyone was gay we would have died out a long time ago .. dont worry i wont expect a reply as it 'makes sense' and .. religion was replaced with law and order .. scrap religions put ure efforts else where .. ..

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Tvv1stedJustice

It's an entirely different matter on what you would eat if you were "starving", I assume you mean starving "to death". For instance a vegetarian would probably eat meat if they were stranded and dying. Thing is, no one here is "starving to death".

Also, hold your tongue on the "eat other humans" to survive bit. Not everyone does that, many people choose to die rather than eat their fellow man, either because it never entered their mind, or because it was too repulsive. The fact being you would probably need to murder someone first. Couples stranded in the woods on a hiking trip gone bad.. well they often don't eat each other, just saying. Though there definitely plenty of cases where it's been done.
edit on 9-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

...atheists will never leave well enough alone and mind their own business. Atheists will never work to form their own communities, they will only seek to destroy communities they disagree with. Atheism is the most tyrannical and sinister ideology ever espoused.

As if the religious mind their own business.

Why should athiests form their own communities? I think they quite enjoy being a part of the wider community as a whole, as should we all.

And religion never attempts to destroy those it disagrees with, does it?

edit on 9-3-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join