It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Things The Bible Forbids Other Than Homosexuality

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

Originally posted by Amadeo

You still didn't address the 13 points made in the OP's link. Do that and we'll have something to discuss.

I actually addressed them in my last post. The general context of Religion is purity. Various denominations disagree on just how pure one has to be. Its nothing more complicated than that. The reason there are different denominations is because every person is unique and draws the line elsewhere.

Is this that hard to understand?
edit on 9-3-2012 by lucid eyes because: (no reason given)

You only addressed some, not all. You then went on to talk about logical fallacies, which is a bit rich coming from someone who appears to be religious. This thread points out the silliness and hypocrisy of those who cherry-pick the things they want to believe and follow from the bible whilst disregarding others. That is what you have failed to address.

Furthermore, do not talk down to me and ask me if I find things hard to understand. It's you who has missed the entire point of the thread. On top of all that, I wasn't talking you anyway. Do you understand THAT?
edit on 9-3-2012 by Amadeo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
***snip***
I got tired of their religion bashing. All of them have the same ideas, and it's hilarious that the most "devout" of them all have no idea what is in their book.
***snip***

Another good laugh is when you ask those same devouts how many pigs were on Noah's Ark. The answer is of course two.
But how many sheep? And most would answer two, but the answer is 14.
It's in the Bible. Check it out.

And with the old argument that Christians regard the Old Testament as obsolete while they follow the rules of The New Testament, I'd like to ask from where creationism comes? Because the crap about the world created in six days and whatnot is in The Old Testament.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wow another Christian troll bashing thread! How unique to ATS. Let me guess, all the people here bashing Christianity for laws from the OT that haven't been relevant for two thousand years (that they don't practice) fully support Islam who STILL PRACTICES laws from 2000 years ago that shouldn't apply, like stoning women, making women cover their entire bodies, and not eating pork.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
My heaven includes a ham sandwich. Are Christians sure they're actually following God?
Seems to me that these rules are nothing more than control tactics.
*sigh*
Religion, religion, religion....

Ruining society for all of mankind since..... forever.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

If working on the Sabbath is a sin, then what about Pators and Priests? They are working on the Sabbath when they hold church services. What a paradox.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Just because items like ham or homosexuality are debatable, does not mean that the whole idea of purity and all other biblical recommendations should be dismissed.

True enough...but who gets to make those choices? Seems a pretty subjective arrogance to do so, while still considering the whole of it as 'God's Word".

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
#14: thou shalt not thinketh for thy self. Thou shalt taketh this work of fiction as truth.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeo

You only addressed some, not all.

I addressed 7 by name. The others are highly debatable. I also addressed the purpose of these laws.

You then went on to talk about logical fallacies,

Spilling the baby with the bathwater is a logical fallacy. Einsteins theory of relativity contained thousands of errors but this did not detract from using the theory as a workable model to describe various phenomena.

coming from someone who appears to be religious.

Anyone pointing out a logical fallacy of religion-haters must be religious then? Another fallacy. Maybe you should educate yourself a little before venturing out to partake in public debates about important issues.

This thread points out the silliness and hypocrisy of those who cherry-pick the things they want to believe and follow from the bible whilst disregarding others. That is what you have failed to address.

Theologians and Philosophers have been addressing this since more than a thousand years, you must have missed it (and many others here must have missed it too). The Bible deliberately contains contradictory views as to promote diversity of denomination. Thats why, for example, several contradictory versions of Jesus Gospel were put into the book.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Wow another Christian troll bashing thread! How unique to ATS. Let me guess, all the people here bashing Christianity for laws from the OT that haven't been relevant for two thousand years (that they don't practice) fully support Islam who STILL PRACTICES laws from 2000 years ago that shouldn't apply, like stoning women, making women cover their entire bodies, and not eating pork.

If christians can't hack scrutiny they probably ought not to be so vocal in how right they are and how wrong everyone else is.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
True enough...but who gets to make those choices? Seems a pretty subjective arrogance to do so, while still considering the whole of it as 'God's Word".

According to the Bible humans were given the choice (free will) of whether to subscribe to the various ideas or not.

Gossiping, cursing, uncleanness, self-mutilation were some of the things that are said to be unwholesome. So there are various religious denominations who live by those rules, some who live by some and many who live by none.
Jesus, who was somewhat of a critic of the "old ways" said we should judge the merits of the various rules by their fruits.

He broke some of the old laws to demonstrate that there are exceptions and that not everything need be taken literally. This is common knowledge among those who have actually read the Bible.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am not saying it is wrong what it says... but it is difficult to follow because no one here applies this laws. Christianity its not a religion anymore, it is just a word.

If it was "religion" it would be like Muslims, Budhists or Jewish people do. It is done as it is said, but judging the way pastors and priests act towards children and what the pope has done about it, makes no sense to follow at all or do half of what priests/popes have said.

It makes sense to ignore the bible after it has been re-edited/modified so many times. But let us not forget, that it was us who did this to ourselves. It is the way we have been living since the day we were born, if your parents did not teach you about God or Jesus or taught you about religion, it would make sense to complain and not follow what God has mandated to do.

For instance... Me, I have never read that before, I am not sure if it is even on the bible and if it is, I have not found it in the Bible I have. My parents never told me about it either, and they are 100% Christian/Catholic.

I understand why majority of all of you are complaining... and I know why this has been happening. The Government/Media (TV) has changed the way you view God and act against God. Another problem might be your parents, think about it. Did your parents raise you? or did you raise yourself with your own beliefs?
Where your parents there for you? or were you just another american movie?

This all depends on how you are raised, and what your parents teach you.

ps: If you don't believe in God, at least try to do good for you and others. It brings calm to the world and others.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

I had no clue about the sheep thing. If only dinosaurs could have fit in there if there were less sheep!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
funny about the sheep there was more because they needed more
just look at the population of sheepies today
its LARGE!
man
I vote less sheep more dinos for sure

edit on 9-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

***snip***

This thread points out the silliness and hypocrisy of those who cherry-pick the things they want to believe and follow from the bible whilst disregarding others. That is what you have failed to address.

Theologians and Philosophers have been addressing this since more than a thousand years, you must have missed it (and many others here must have missed it too). The Bible deliberately contains contradictory views as to promote diversity of denomination. Thats why, for example, several contradictory versions of Jesus Gospel were put into the book.

And this is the exact reason why Christians are bashed for their dileberate picking of what they want to BibleBash you with this week.

I - and many other I suspect - would respect a denomination saying "this - this - this - and that is what we believe in" and then DISCARD the rest as being irrelevant. Only keeping in their little holy book what they believe in.

But to keep both OT and NT and then pick and choose when they tell us how we should think is basically as wrong as it can get.

As I have said so many times before: the Americans especially are ridiculed for their believe ProLife AND ProGun.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Something, something, something.... GOD HATES SHRIMP!!!

If you look there are probably no less than 100 discussions just like this on ATS referencing the exact same things. I almost feel like actually discussing which rules are social and health laws meant to give social structure to the people of Israel and which were laws that dealt with relationships with God and fellow men.

Some things just aren't healthy for you like uncooked pork (trichinosis) and certain bottom dwelling see creatures can give you a disease (hepatitis) if not prepared properly. Other restrictions were to keep the Israelis from looking like the surrounding pagan tribes. That's why it prohibits making marks on their body for the dead (tattoos) or cutting their hair the same way surrounding nations did.

The FDA still prohibits homosexuals from donating blood (a lifetime ban), so maybe just maybe the Bible actually knows something about what's good for you. Things you won't see on Glee... a blood drive.

EDIT: No one specific sin is worse than the others. The media just loves to focus on this one.
edit on 3/9/2012 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
OK.. I would just like to chime in here on behalf of some Christians who share my beliefs.

There is a great number of Christians who believe that the Levitical law was a standard for the Ancient Jews to uphold. These same Christians believe that when Jesus died on the cross He fulfilled the law and that we are no longer under the law but we are now under grace. This being said...do we believe that we should sin since we are"safe" by grace? Absolutely not! We are to love our God with all our heart, soul, strength, and minds and love our neighbor as ourself.

The issue of homosexuality is no different than any other issue that we as sinners deal with on a day to day basis. For this reason homosexuals should not be singled out. Gossiping and overeating are just as wrong in biblical terms, so why aren't we protesting church bake sales?

We as Christians need to spend more time telling what we are FOR and not what we are AGAINST and living a life that is an example. Lead with love just like the man who is our namesake did.

Just my two cents

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Good point JohnnyCanuck! I remember reading somewhere else and I am certain it is among the passages here - Pertaining to marriage, if a woman is not a virgin she can be stoned and the marriage can be annulled. The community was such a "social group" then the elders of the town (or their own religious nuts) would require the wedding bedsheets as a form of proof of her virginity. If there was not a mess of blood there the woman was toast and if the husband wanted to he could have her stoned.

I don't know why we still don't honor Gods word?

Is this a whole world full of atheists?
No Christians around anymore?

We have the "McDonalds Christians"

McChristians - want it THEIR WAY!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane

I - and many other I suspect - would respect a denomination saying "this - this - this - and that is what we believe in" and then DISCARD the rest as being irrelevant. Only keeping in their little holy book what they believe in.

Every denomination must choose the parts they emphasize. Its the diversity of denominations that makes it so interesting. There is no problem with not everyone being the same and predictable.

The differences in denomination are what have lead to great intellectual exchange in the past thousands of years.
If everyone were the same, you'd have stagnation.

The many different ways of seeing things requires high tolerance. Why not just let every denomination believe whatever they choose?

Every person will gravitate to the denomination or non-denomination that best suits them.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

EDIT: No one specific sin is worse than the others. The media just loves to focus on this one

What? The media focuses on this subject? No they don't, christians do.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I think Christians, as well as the Bible's critics, need to realise that many (most?) of the things the Bible forbids are forbidden for practical reasons. Others amount to nothing more than social rules, which have a habit of changing rapidly over time.

Eating certain foods was forbidden because it was either known or suspected to cause illness. Having no solid understanding of what actually causes illnesses, primitive peoples in some cases came to the conclusion that God was punishing them.

Today, we understand how to prevent food-borne illnesses, and thus we can eat things like chicken and pork without fear of divine retribution. With our level of knowledge, we should understand how silly it is to think that God really cares what kind of meats you choose to ingest.

So consider sodomy. We know now that sodomy has a high probability of spreading sexually transmitted infections. In biblical times, those who engaged in sodomy were seen as "defiling themselves" due to paranoia surrounding disease. Now we know how to prevent the transmission of diseases, so why should people not be allowed to engage in this form of intercourse if they choose to?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join