It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sebelius: Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The government is already all over the child business...
c'mon don't make me find articles of the government telling people what and what not to do with and too their children...you know that its true.

But in this thread, we are talking about trying to fight obesity and healthier kids... and I referenced the fact that money Our Money is already being spent on stupid s**t.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissPoovey
I hate to put a voice of reason on this 'bash wagon'....
But here in Kansas City, in the downtown part of the city, there wasn't a grocery store for 10 or more miles.
That is what she is talking about. How it is so much easier, without public buses, to eat fast food or Quicktrip crap.
The point of the discussion is healthier food for children.
So why not give out a 'tax increment financing' something that we are already giving to bars, and banks?
That is what Kansas City finally did because of the uproar from the average person that pays for the bars and banks to place the businesses there. Why shouldn't some go to something USEFUL?
(not that bars aren't useful :lol

Kansas City spent a fortune on our "entertainment" district, and arena....
Power & Light District
Sprint Arena

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: spelling

Perhaps a good point,

But she did not bring any of that up.

If she had, it may have made at least some sense.

Can you find Kansas City on that “food desert locator”map

(enlarge at left and drag the pointer to move to the Kansas/Missouri area)

Kansas City does not seem to have a pink area ?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I stated "wasn't", there is now a store. One grocery store in all of downtown. Only because, as I stated previously, the people complained and demanded something be done.
But I just looked and Kansas City is still pink. Downtown is right next to the river, over a hill, but close.

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

The government is already all over the child business...
c'mon don't make me find articles of the government telling people what and what not to do with and too their children...you know that its true.

But in this thread, we are talking about trying to fight obesity and healthier kids... and I referenced the fact that money Our Money is already being spent on stupid s**t.

You're right, but my point was to illustrate that government has over-stepped.

Government intervention is like getting mugged.

Instead of talking about getting stabbed or not, we spend our time negotiating HOW DEEP the knife penetrates.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Government intervention is like getting mugged.

Instead of talking about getting stabbed or not, we spend our time negotiating HOW DEEP the knife penetrates.

Probably the best analogy I have heard in a long time.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healthy Foods

please permit me to re-write that

[ape]Walking a Mile With Groceries is a excersise that could prevent obesity , heart desiese and other illnesses [/ape]

the woman is clearly a fresh pineapple short of a healthy fruit salad

can i have her job - i promise to do better than she is

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It is strange, ape, that our government officials have no common sense what-so-ever, I am starting to believe you must have some sort of derangement syndrome to want to be an elected official.

My friends tell me that at work all people in positions of power and authority are quite mad, and seem to be the worse person for their position.

It there an explanation for this?

Coming to a city near you?

makebelievemelodies.com...

edit on 103131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Maybe in states that have wonderful weather year round, walking with several kids, or a stroller, is great.

But let's be realistic. We have weather here that is wayyy cold, blustery and not condusive to walking with the children long distances. In the summer, it is wayyy to hot and humid.

And really, after working all day, then taking care of housework and laundry, who wants to spend hours going to the grocery store and walking back then cooking dinner, getting the kids to do homework and bathed and to bed?

This may be going way off topic, but I cannot stand when our government spends money in places that are not necessary, then when they finally get an idea that makes sense, people jump to condemn it.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

Maybe I have lost touch, but I walked with my children rain or shine, carried one in my arms, one in the baby back carrier, those old fashioned kind, and a bag of groceries in the other, and when I could two, I walked to the store most my life, didn't have a car till I was 38, walked to work too.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You try walking a mile with groceries including fruits, vegetables, grains and not Ding-Dongs, and preferably in the northern North American winter, and then we'll talk.
edit on 7/3/12 by arbiture because: added last comment under "weather issues"

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

You try walking a mile with groceries including fruits, vegetables, grains and not Ding-Dongs, and preferably in the northern North American winter, and then we'll talk.

Hey guess what, we are spoiled,

How about you trying hunting and fishing for your food, walking in the woods and fields for miles then back home following the railroad tracks, then skinning it before you get to eat it,

Been there, done that, loved ever minute of it.

Now days some people don't even have to work to pay for a meal.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
After a hard day at work, if I had to pass five fast food joints and three convience stores before getting to a real grocery... well, I would just stop and feed the kids from one of those places.
Thats just human nature.
And if you consider the fact that fresh veggies and fruit are alot more expensive than a burger, that even makes it more likely that we will always have obese kids and parents.

The priorities are skewed, tax breaks for useless businesses and nearly nothing for public transp. or grocery stores.We need better public transportation and more tax breaks for groceries
rather than as I previously stated, arenas and entertainment districts.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by arbiture

Hey guess what, we are spoiled,

How about you trying hunting and fishing for your food, walking in the woods and fields for miles then back home following the railroad tracks, then skinning it before you get to eat it,

Been there, done that, loved ever minute of it.

Now days some people don't even have to work to pay for a meal.

Spoiled because we don't have to hunt and fish? I don't think thats spoiled its called progress. By the way, I enjoy being in and camping out in the far north woods. Provides a special peace only Nature can. I encourage more to try it. But I don't hunt or fish, but if you eat what you kill, more power to you.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

I think much of the obesity problem comes from inactivity, although there are many factors,

I sent my kids off to work as soon as they were legal to do so, when we lived in the country my oldest daughter walked the tracks to and from work, leaving before dawn and coming home after dark, she walked miles to get to the truck stop, as well as my oldest son.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Yes, we are spoiled.

Your progress can end any day.

Plus there isn't anything healthier then fresh game.

Do you know how fast the grocer markets empty during a natural disaster?
edit on 113131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes, country kids and adults are more self reliant.
But this story/post is about inner city grocery store deserts.

So while I admire the ability to hunt and fish and cook what you kill. The only things inner city people are going to be killing and cooking are squirrels, pigeons and gang members.

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: changed dessert to desert..., still not sure that is the correct spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

But this story/post is about inner city grocery store desserts.

So while I admire the ability to hunt and fish and cook what you kill. The only things inner city people are going to be killing and cooking are squirrels, pigeons and gang members.

In our town no one has to walk far,

I now live in the inner city, one store is a half a block, the other maybe three.

Our town is about 180,000 population.

Actually you would have more of a problem getting to a store in the suburbs.

When I was young, we walked the tracks to the country to hunt.

I have lived both in the country and the city.

I don't know what she is flipping talking about, unless it is large cities, never lived in one of those.
edit on 113131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

But this story/post is about inner city grocery store desserts.

I grew up in Dallas, actually Oak Cliff which is the poorer side of Dallas, and we walked everywhere we went. Groceries, laundry, you name it. Had a wheelbarrow we used to carry what we needed, or used a store basket and immediately took it back. Got our first air conditioner when I was 14, and my 79 year old grandfather carried it home on his shoulder. There were no lightweight AC units back then, especially one to cool a large old house.

Got our 1st car when I got my tax refund at 16 years old. We were "moving on up" then. Other than the bus on special occasions, this was our first real mode of transportation. Miss the simpler times.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why anyone would live in a city is beyond me. I actually love to walk. Everything here is miles away. If we have to walk to town the locals won't let us do it...everyone stops. We all know each other so it's safe to take a ride.

One guy rode his horse to town all the time, we've got back roads. If gas prices keep going up I'm getting a goat/burro cart to haul me to town.

I grew up in Gary, IN by the time I was in my 20's it wasn't safe to walk a block to the store. So maybe it's not so much about how far someone has to walk as it is the local vermin allowing them to do so. I fear the two legged animals way more than the 4.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yup, very fast. And drug stores, hardware stores, not to mention stupid ass looting because the cops are to busy trying to save lives then the latest pair of shoes. Thats why I'm a survivalist... I have the money to have a very secure and unadvertised place that would put certain government bunkers to shame.

Plus I get to eat the food I grow (organic) and sell or give away the rest and make my own fuel, also sell the rest as well, that I don't need. I grow a lot of food and make a lot of fuel and eat maybe 10% including storage which I rotate of food, and much less then 1% of the fuel. I haven't been to a gas station in years...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join