It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sebelius: Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healthy Foods

This statement by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius takes this week's blue ribbon for the most money spent on useless dialog !!

She made the desperate sounding claim right in front of an appropriations hearing.

(some dialog between Kathleen and Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.))

“Well, I think it’s very difficult for a family buying groceries – if they have to walk a mile with bags of groceries, it may be too far to get healthier food,” Sebelius said.

“You really think that?” Kingston asked.

“I do,” she replied.
I think she takes drama lessons at the same place Nancy Pelosi does !!

walk a mile to a grocery store

Nothing anywhere that I know of even suggests any truth to that wild claim.

I wonder what her "solution" is ??

Perhaps the unemployed can provide (government paid) delivery services
while they look for jobs !!

The lady is making decisions that alter YOUR life !!

I wonder how much we paid in tax money to fund THAT statement ??

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Amazing. She must think that a pound of healthy food is heaver than a pound of unhealthy food. I never knew that. I'm glad she was able to clear that up for me. How do these morons get into the positions they are in? Who votes for them?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow... back in the day my parents walked not only to the store, they walked to school, walked to neighbors fields to help get in the crops, and then for recreation... they would walk in the woods most of the night hunting and running dogs.

Doing so was so unhealthy, that my mom just celebrated her 77th birthday, and later my dad will be 83. They still walk 2 miles a day.

Even now, just for fun... my wife and I still hike into the rolling woodlands around our farm discovering old roads, farmsteads, and even tracing an old rail road cut... or just for unhealthy fun, we walk along the road bordering a lake near our house... about 2 miles round trip.

Seems to me that walking to the store a mile away would be in line with Michelle Obama's initiative to get families and kids up and moving.

Sebelius is full of horse stuff.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think most people walking, aren't going to try to walk home with 9 bags of groceries.

Get 1 or 2 bags per day.

If they take the trip every day, to get their fruits and vegies, then they get in enough healthy walking to call it good healthy exercise.

I wonder what they think people did before the modern ages? When there was a lack of such things like fridges, and/or cars?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healthy Foods

This statement by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius takes this week's blue ribbon for the most money spent on useless dialog !!

Funny -- I walk to get my groceries and for several reasons. It ensures I don't over buy, especially when it comes to produce and I get exercise. It is nearly a mile to the 3 large grocers and I choose Fresh N' Easy for my food most of the time.

This lady is out of touch and just pushing the big government line.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I actually do this. I literally walk about a mile with my groceries in my backpack and hands about once a week. I make enough money to have a car but i don't want to become a slave to my car.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't understand,

I walked everyday to get groceries, isn't walking healthy for you?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I would also wonder if the store was 7/8 of a mile away would the food be any healthier ?

These appointed and unelected people are dangerous.

If she actually SAYS things like this out-loud in public,

WHAT else is she "thinking"

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Wasn't sure I would ever agree with you.

"That Which is Not Earned - Has No Value"

If you have to make an effort - - - its going to have more value.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
This lady is out of touch and just pushing the big government line.

I need to fix this.....she isn't out of touch. She is one who wants to dig her slimy tentacles deep into our lives so they can play real-life Sims and Sims City.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am so confused, will some one help me?

I know I am nuts, but these people have me beat.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Amazing. She must think that a pound of healthy food is heaver than a pound of unhealthy food. I never knew that. I'm glad she was able to clear that up for me. How do these morons get into the positions they are in? Who votes for them?

It's the cell phones,

Seriously, I can't stress this enough, we are losing touch with reality, and it seems like our leaders are way ahead of us.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

How's that old saying go?

"I once was upset because I had no shoes.. . . . so the government bought me some and paid for cab fare."

Sebelius is so out of touch, "common sense" actually filed a restraining order to keep her away from it!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Not really sure on this because the article isn't really clear what issue it is exactly she is trying to address if any at all. It is clear that the program is about trying make sure that grocery stores are within a mile of most residents unless it is in a rural area where the minimum is 10 miles. Which I don't have a problem with as long as it is just advising and helping localities and new business startups to do so. But largely this should be a local issue.

As far as having to walk a mile to get to those stores, that is a whole different animal altogether. While it may be an inconvenience walking a mile is hardly excessive and not unreasonable. A case could be made for the elderly and it being a true hardship but it is still a local issue. The city I live in the public transportation system has a small community bus whose sole purpose is to help the elderly and handicapped get to the locations they need to for their groceries and prescriptions. Local government is best equipped to solve these types of issues. And like another poster stated having to carry groceries a mile is going to make you more selective of what food choices your making and that is a good thing.

edit on 6-3-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think it's worse than just a lack of common sense.

This HAS to be some kind of mental problem.

Did she NOT KNOW who she was talking to

This is same woman who is dictating healthcare policies (with help from advisory staffs of course)
and God knows what else !!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Something occured to me.

Since when is it the governments business HOW far we have to go to the store?
Since when did it become the governments business WHAT we bought at the store???

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Something occured to me.

Since when is it the governments business HOW far we have to go to the store?
Since when did it become the governments business WHAT we bought at the store???

Better yet,

Since when did it become the governments business to decide where a private store opens for business???

I KNEW she was thinking of "better" ideas

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I hate to put a voice of reason on this 'bash wagon'....
But here in Kansas City, in the downtown part of the city, there wasn't a grocery store for 10 or more miles.
That is what she is talking about. How it is so much easier, without public buses, to eat fast food or Quicktrip crap.
The point of the discussion is healthier food for children.
So why not give out a 'tax increment financing' something that we are already giving to bars, and banks?
That is what Kansas City finally did because of the uproar from the average person that pays for the bars and banks to place the businesses there. Why shouldn't some go to something USEFUL?
(not that bars aren't useful :lol

Kansas City spent a fortune on our "entertainment" district, and arena....
Power & Light District
Sprint Arena

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissPoovey
I hate to put a voice of reason on this 'bash wagon'....
But here in Kansas City, in the downtown part of the city, there wasn't a grocery store for 10 or more miles.
That is what she is talking about. How it is so much easier, without public buses, to eat fast food or Quicktrip crap.
The point of the discussion is healthier food for children.
So why not give out a 'tax increment financing' something that we are already giving to bars, and banks?
That is what Kansas City finally did because of the uproar from the average person that pays for the bars and banks to place the businesses there. Why shouldn't some go to something USEFUL?
(not that bars aren't useful :lol

Kansas City spent a fortune on our "entertainment" district, and arena....
Power & Light District
Sprint Arena

edit on 7-3-2012 by MissPoovey because: spelling

Since when is it the governments business to determine what a parent provides for it's child?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It could be said that healthier food has less preservatives, and thus are not as resistant to being in hot weather while carried home.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join