It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sebelius: Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Oh and gardens, I always had a garden,

Remember canning?

There are so many empty lots in this town.

youtu.be...

Seeds, yea that's the ticket, plant some seeds.

edit on 113131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

Miss the simpler times.

Me too.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yup, very fast. And drug stores, hardware stores, not to mention stupid ass looting because the cops are to busy trying to save lives then the latest pair of shoes. Thats why I'm a survivalist... I have the money to have a very secure and unadvertised place that would put certain government bunkers to shame.

Plus I get to eat the food I grow (organic) and sell or give away the rest and make my own fuel, also sell the rest as well, that I don't need. I grow a lot of food and make a lot of fuel and eat maybe 10% including storage which I rotate of food, and much less then 1% of the fuel. I haven't been to a gas station in years...

That's awesome arbiture.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Its a three mile walk to my nearest shop and I am happy to go with my bag on my back...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

God knows... Scary isn't it?

I walked five plus miles to and from work. Which, coincidently enough, is in a grocery store... I've long since lost count of the number of bags of groceries that made that homeward journey with me... I'm reasonably healthy, my food less so, but not because of the distances involved...I like junk food, so sue me.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

You try walking a mile with groceries including fruits, vegetables, grains and not Ding-Dongs, and preferably in the northern North American winter, and then we'll talk.
edit on 7/3/12 by arbiture because: added last comment under "weather issues"

I have and just recently in the wonderful 70+ mph gusts we had here in Vegas. Fruits, veggies and grains in one bag (those reusable ones so they are larger) and milk, cheese, eggs, bread and some meats in the other.

When my kids are with me, I buy a little extra and those little buggers help out.

Appealing to the emotional or to the hypothetical rarely ever works.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissPoovey
Yes, country kids and adults are more self reliant.
But this story/post is about inner city grocery store deserts.

There is also a larger factor at play though. In terms of why there are only pockets of grocery stores in inner-cities. From the sounds of this lady, it is laying the groundwork to either force private companies to open up shop in areas where they don't want to and/or are not profitable or for Government to start getting into the grocery business as a whole.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Walking a Mile With Groceries is a Hardship That Could Prevent Families From Getting Healthy Foods

This statement by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius takes this week's blue ribbon for the most money spent on useless dialog !!

She made the desperate sounding claim right in front of an appropriations hearing.

(some dialog between Kathleen and Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.))

“Well, I think it’s very difficult for a family buying groceries – if they have to walk a mile with bags of groceries, it may be too far to get healthier food,” Sebelius said.

“You really think that?” Kingston asked.

“I do,” she replied.
I think she takes drama lessons at the same place Nancy Pelosi does !!

walk a mile to a grocery store

Nothing anywhere that I know of even suggests any truth to that wild claim.

I wonder what her "solution" is ??

Perhaps the unemployed can provide (government paid) delivery services
while they look for jobs !!

The lady is making decisions that alter YOUR life !!

I wonder how much we paid in tax money to fund THAT statement ??

Well...it very well could be too far. Ever walk a mile outside when it's -40 F ?? I live in WI. This year we had a real mild winter...but the norm is for there to be at least 2 months where it's stops being cold and moves into "sweet-jesus-it's-cold". There are no shortage of days in the winter when it will drop down to -60 F w/ the wind chill. When temperatures are that low you can lose appendages if skin is exposed for more than a minute, depending on your overall fortitude.

And this is just WISCONSIN. The Dakotas, MN, the upper Rockies, AK, and Maine can get A LOT colder than Wisconsin does.

Even these conditions would be technically do-able for myself (an able-bodied 33 yr old male). Miserable...but feasible. However, my relatively healthy 58 yr old Mom wouldn't ever be able to make that without having to get some fingers, toes, or ears amputated. Especially carrying groceries back or with some ice and snow mixed in.

I tell you what...if you expected a bunch of people 65yrs+, people with bad knees/backs (not necessarily "disabled"...just had a few too many injuries over the years) to periodically make a one mile trek in those kinds of conditions who would have A LOT of dead people.

I don't have much experience with the desert heat...but I would think that the same thing would apply at the top end of the thermometer too for basically the entire American Southwest. Although...I suppose at least with the heat in might be possible to ride a bike or use some type of a pushcart to bring the groceries back.

In the ice and snow you'd probably be best off with carrying it on your back. Maybe a sled if the snow was right.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Other than the fact that walking a mile carrying your groceries will probably leave you with extraordinarily good health in a short time we are not the sort of government that forces people to do that. That type of forced exercise is for Chinese workers, prisons and boot camps. Right wingers want to "toughen up" the impoverished by adding calisthenics to their daily grind? Interesting perspective, who are these people?

edit on 7-3-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Always thought the more you walk(exercise) the healthier you get.

What a complete joke.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ugh! I think she just indirectly provided a solution to the United State's obesity epidemic? Whoever said walking could be so bad? It is a good cardio work out. Plus, it burns calories. Furthermore, that mile is quite a haul when one has more than a few bags of groceries. Therefore, most people will likely pass up on the 24 pack of sugar water and tubs of ice cream and focus on the necessities like meats, fruits and vegetables, milk, and bread. Why put on more weight if you don't need to? No pun intended, and I mean the grocery weight.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Always thought the more you walk(exercise) the healthier you get.

What a complete joke.

To change the subject a little bit, my parents ate meat and potatoes, "with desert", and all those old fashioned meals we are told are bad for us they lived into their eighties, they smoked and didn't die of lung cancer, grandpa had a shot of whiskey every night before bed and every morning ex-lax, mineral oil and cod liver oil before he ate breakfast,

When he died of a massive brain tumor, they told us he had the internal organs of a man half his age.

I have two aunts and an uncle pushing 100, one of them is on line everyday, these people were tough they lived through the depression and hardships,

As far as health goes, I think our generation is weaker, for many reason .
edit on 033131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 033131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I don't understand,

I walked everyday to get groceries, isn't walking healthy for you?

Right there with you. The whole statement is oxymoronish. If you can't drive and are forced to shop for un-healthy groceries(Whatever the hell that means)then in theory the fact you have to walk should even the un-healthy food out... Right? I have never been to a grocery store that only sold junk food...& 7-11 is NOT grocery a store!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I would have to agree weak in more ways than one scared of their shadows in fact moderation is the key but they want someone else to make all their decision for them. telling them whats good whats not good for them.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAY1980

I don't understand,

Right there with you. The whole statement is oxymoronish. If you can't drive and are forced to shop for un-healthy groceries(Whatever the hell that means)then in theory the fact you have to walk should even the un-healthy food out... Right? I have never been to a grocery store that only sold junk food...& 7-11 is NOT grocery a store!

That is the whole point, my parents and grandparents worked hard, father and grandfather were blacksmiths

I think eve7/11 has apples and bananas.

In fact we didn't have much fruit when we were growing up

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I would have to agree weak in more ways than one scared of their shadows in fact moderation is the key but they want someone else to make all their decision for them. telling them whats good whats not good for them.

Yes to balance, and moderation, and home cooking, leave that packaged food alone.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAY1980

I don't understand,

I think eve7/11 has apples and bananas.

Correct forgot to add you can still shop healthy even at 7-11. To this day I have yet to see a 7-11 that didn't sell some kind of fruit.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Hey buddy, congrats. Your probably in better shape then the vast majority of the American people. We get so caught up in "our life" we let our physical heath go to hell. Theres also a good chance, providing you don't get hit by a drunk driver you will outlive most of the people you know. Keep it up.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
thats funny! i must be the most unhealthy person i know! i walk everywhere! every thing is an hours walk for me.
my back pack holds alot of food,and i have two arms to carry more if need be!
i must say for a 45 year old man,my legs are like iron rods,my gut muscles would embaress a 20 year old,i walk at least an hour a day,but it usually is more,healthy food is a choice!
i grow my own veggies,but i like my meat and i will walk an hour to get it!!!
and after all that walking i still have time to excersise,practice my swordsman ship,play with my kids,and spend hours pleasing my lady!

i hate being this unhealthy!!!

thats it! look out mcdonalds,here i come!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

im sorry i have to disagree with you a bit!
i have walked daily in -25-40 degree c. weather for an hor,just to start hitchhicking to work. every day!
i was 40 then,and i managed to make it out fine! no amputations!
you do what you have to do to survive.
i think most people are just lazy now,and are content driving their suv's to go get a cofee that would only take 20 min. to walk to get!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join