It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"War is Obsolete" Says the Dalai Lama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The Dalai Lama is in South Florida, addressing various audiences and sharing his message of peace. Yesterday he spoke to 13,000 in the City of Sunrise and will be visiting the campus of the University of Miami.

13,000 hear Dalai Lama decry war as `out of date'
Few public speakers, however self-possessed, would have the nerve to tell 13,000 people who had paid to hear them that, oops, sorry, they had nothing to say. But that's what the Dalai Lama told the throng at the Office Depot Center in Sunrise on Sunday when he took the stage more than 30 minutes late.

''I think most of you have come here perhaps with some expectation,'' he said. ``Then, I have nothing to offer, just show my face and teeth.''

With his trademark self-deprecating charm, the Dalai Lama launched into a two-hour talk on how to achieve world peace through inner peace, drawing occasional laughter and applause from the packed audience.

In fact, it was hard to tell what delighted the audience more -- the 69-year-old Tibetan monk's admission that he used to claw his older brother during fights, or his assertion that war is an outdated concept.

''War is out of date, obsolete,'' he said to loud applause, adding he was heartened that so many Americans have protested the Iraq war.

''Until our mind becomes gentler, the human intelligence can always find some means of violence,'' he said, arguing that people without weapons could still kill each other with stones if they have violent thoughts.

Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, fled Tibet in 1959 to escape the Chinese occupying power. Since then, he has advocated conflict resolution through negotiation and dialogue. In 1989 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

I am a little dissappointed I couldn't make it to listen to the Dalai Lama speak, a message of non-violence is quite refreshing during this time of war and deaths.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Considering that he is exhiled from his native land as a direct result of war, it's perplexing that he considers it obsolete. Apparently it was extremely effective on him...or at least China would say so...

So far, his pacifism has not been very effective, as he is still an exile....

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey if I could move to a country where people treated me like Jesus' reincarnated and I didn't have to work a day in my life, I wouldn't go back to China either. Besides, I'd really like to wear robes and sandals - talk about comfy.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Passive resistance seemed to have worked in India for Gandhi.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Nelson Mandela was in prison for 19 years, lost his wife, family, his ability to cry ( his tear ducts were eaten away in the salt mines) and came out and forgave everybody.

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.'

we are all waiting for the other side to surrender in order that we can have peace. The only person we can change is ourselves, if we change ourselves towards peace, we have already made the first step.

What we own can not be ascertained by earthly possessions. If we are happy in our skins we are always home. If we are unhappy with ourselves we can never be home.

I sound like a fortune cookie. will you have spring rolls with that?

[edit on 20-9-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Considering that he is exhiled from his native land as a direct result of war, it's perplexing that he considers it obsolete. Apparently it was extremely effective on him...or at least China would say so...

So far, his pacifism has not been very effective, as he is still an exile....

His pacifism seems to have kept him alive.

You lead by example.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Already the war mongers are having a stab at his enlightend self the Dalai Lama.... where are all the intellectuals from www.abovetopsecret.com... ?

You can really let loose at this guy for saying war (and soldiers) are obsolete! He MUST hate is country (omg) and his freedom (omfg) so anything he says is just WRONG.

Yeah Mynaeris you tell 'em where its at!

PEACE, not something in Websters it seems

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong...

I prefer the method of peace. I have often been a peacemaker, since a kid, and into adulthood, between those who have differences.

My arguement is more for his stated idea that war is obsolete. It isn't, it's extremely effective. Until man gets past his inner nature though, it will continue to be effective.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
See your point Gazrok, but I thnk the Dalai Lama was talking about it being "ideologicaly obsolete". By that (i think) he is saying that war is quickly becoming a dirty word, and that people are dismissing the concept as immoral.

In terms of material effect, say bulldoze a city or wipe out a nation you can't get more effective than war, you are right.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Was war obsolete before or after WWII? Ultimately, War settles things. Its not a good way to do it, but its hardly 'obsolete'.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Passive resistance only works on people willing to accept in. The British were. Take a look at Tiananmen Squae for an example of when it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
More like the Dalai Lama is obsolete.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
My word goldenboy you sure are a smooth toungued little devil. Such eloquence... impressive.

Think people have a hard time understanding the priciples involved here. Esoterica is one it seems.

You assume nonviolent resistance to keep you sheet clean, you know.. keep the stains off your karmic clothes.. you don't try to resist passively to increse your chances of success. Its not a matter of when it works and when not, its a choice not to sink a low as those you are struggling against.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Passive resistance only works on people willing to accept in. The British were. Take a look at Tiananmen Squae for an example of when it doesn't.

It didn't? Before that China was a non-entity on the international scene. They are knocking at the door now. The Lama's words speak volumes.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The human species is a competive species, as are most advanced species. War is simply collective competition in it's most brutal form.

The best defense against war is the ability to wage it combined with the intelligence to avoid it when it makes sense.

top topics

join