It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I like my beer like I like my violence; Domestic. Chalk sign goes viral.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by thepupils

all i know is that if i raised my hand to my girl,the sh#t would hit the fan! and i expect nothing less!
woman! you have more power than you realize! fight back.
domestic violence is not a joke,and either is racism! i'm sorry if i offended people with my last post,it wasn't intentional,it was to prove a point.
imo,the sign wasn't a good way of dealing with spousal abuse.
bobbit that ass hole!

You remind me of Ellen degenerous . walks like a man, talks like a man, no balls.

Have a laugh one day, people do all the time. I have a huge mish mash of cultures in my group of friends, and we "take the piss" out of each other every day, racist jokes and all. Get over it.

By the way, did you even read the damn thread ? your /rants are exactly what is wrong with this planet. People need to harden the **** up and get on with life instead of spending time worrying about words and names.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordpiney
or how about..."i like my coffee like i like my women...ground up and in the freezer"

serial killers are calling their lawyers as we speak.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

if this is how this woman deals with her old man slapping her around,well,she has issues.
racist my arse! how many years i put up with the english calling me a sheep shagger!

Sheep shagger?? I believe that's Wales my friend. If you had said ginger and alcoholic I might be inclined to believe you!

And 'she has issues'. Yes, she does, hence this being her way of trying to cope. You flaying her alive for it, kind of goes against all that you are supposedly standing up for in your posts. Hypocrite!!

I think its PC gone mad, this women should be applauded.

And as for no decent Domestic English beer I shall refer you too

www.goddards-brewery.co.uk...

As well as countless other real ales brewed in Britain. i.e. Bombardier or John Smiths. Lager does not represent all Beer boys. Come on, I expected better!

CR4V3N

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
holy sh#t im the worst person on the planet now because i have an opinion!
i think you shouln't slap yer ole lady around,canadian beer is the best , scottish 'scotch' is the best,stay away from america,and this way off topic post is getting very old quick!
4 pages of replies? seriously! the girl got beat up! does that count??????!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

holy sh#t im the worst person on the planet now because i have an opinion!
i think you shouln't slap yer ole lady around,canadian beer is the best , scottish 'scotch' is the best,stay away from america,and this way off topic post is getting very old quick!
4 pages of replies? seriously! the girl got beat up! does that count??????!!!!!!!

And the "girl" is treating her situation with humour. Don't forget, she (the abused person) was the one who created the sign.

And you're not the worst person on the planet. Carl is. *shakes fist at Carl* (When you see a lunch with someones NAME on it, DON'T EAT IT!!! )

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Awwww i have a friend!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

Couldn't agree more. I play poker in London and the amount of different groups at the table is brilliant. On Saturday there were 2 orthodox jews, 2 russians, a jamaican, 2 brits, 2 indians and arab and the banter around the table was brilliant and off the cuff but not once was the racist card played. Even when one the Jews cleaned out the Arab!

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.- Dame Edna

CR4V3N

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CR4V3N

And as for no decent Domestic English beer I shall refer you too www.goddards-brewery.co.uk... As well as countless other real ales brewed in Britain. i.e. Bombardier or John Smiths. Lager does not represent all Beer boys. Come on, I expected better!
Please accept me apology.....

Fer messin' with the Limeys.

I had acceptable beers 'over there'. Hell, even the French had a good beer, I can't remember the name of it......
Maybe it wasn't that good after all.

As for domestic violence, it's like farting, not okay if someone else does it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Apology accepted.

Well done at identifying your offensive statement.

Thank God you never put it on a Chalk board!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hey beez, you are right about Carl being the worst person. Do you know what else he did?

He ate like three donuts of the dozen in the lunchroom, then later, he ate the last one..... and I didn't get one at all. I don't care if he did buy them.

I heard that he beats his wife. (and she's in a wheelchair)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i like this thread like i like my steak well done

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CR4V3N

Listen i suggest you leave "wooly mitts" or "velcro gloves" alone, your alright by me "velcro gloves"

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordnightstalker
This is ridiculous

I'm sorry but 95% of what is called "domestic violence" in America is nothing more than couples fighting, A dude punches a wall :"domestic violence" a guy fights some guy who is buggering his wife "domestic violence" a guy raises his voice" domestic violence

Im afriad that comment is inciting domestic violence lol
, jk seriously i hate the modern trend dudes acting like girls, girls acting like it isnt there job to make me sandwhichs.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I like my women like i like my curry, INDIAN.

I like my women like i like my dog, ON MY LEAD.

I like my women like i like my wine, IN A BOX.

I like my women like i like my fridge, IN THE KITCHEN.

I like my women like i like my cooking oil, EXTRA VIRGIN.

I like my women like i like my onions, MAKING ME CRY WHILE I CHOP THEM TO PEICES.

lmao last one is a bit far.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by beezzer

Hey beez, you are right about Carl being the worst person. Do you know what else he did?

He ate like three donuts of the dozen in the lunchroom, then later, he ate the last one..... and I didn't get one at all. I don't care if he did buy them.

I heard that he beats his wife. (and she's in a wheelchair)

CArl is the worst person in the world. His posts at ATS make no sense, and he once spilled gravy on Skeptic Overlord's recliner.
Carl is PC as well.
He doesn't have a cat, he has a feline-american.
He once burned a bra for womans rights in the 60's. Unfortunately, someone was still wearing it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

lololololololol
you just gave me jokes for days!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

It was an insensitive sign posted on a chalk board inside a bar. It was only up for about 30 minutes and was taken down as soon as someone complained but, not before someone snapped a pic, posted it on Facebook and started a PR nightmare for the bar owners.

Smith's domestic violence signage stirs social media maelstrom

Last week, Smith’s Restaurant and Lounge, a Rittenhouse eatery, posted a chalkboard beer advertisement that made a pun out of sexual assault. “I like my beer like I like my violence … domestic.” The offensive comment was spotted and photographed by a passerby and uploaded to Philebrity.com. Within hours, a mass response occurred across Facebook. Women Against Abuse picked up the photo and shared it with the tagline “With neighbors like Smith’s, who needs enemies? Let’s stand up to violence, not exploit it.” A series of alarmed responses flooded the comment box, with many readers taking action by calling the establishment or writing letters and emails.

The immediate outcry and overflowing response thanks to social networking was remarkable, but only part of the story. According to Women Against Abuse volunteers, several phone calls to the manager revealed that the sign was actually written by a female employee who had recently been sexually assaulted. The manager told them this was how the female employee was coping. Still, he noted that she had been let go due to the offensive signage.

Citypaper

Apparently, the sign was inspired by the Redneck Randal Meme and was the result of a battered woman's attempt to cope with her situation. She still lost her job over the uproar the sign created.

Now, as a result of a woman's bad judgement and a sign that was up for only 30 minutes, the resturant owners are being forced to repent to women's violence groups.

"It was just a big mess," Barry said today. "Oh God, we're very sorry.

"Now we have a new rule that everything has to be approved before it goes up on the chalk board."

In addition to an apology, Barry said he would personally volunteer at an agency that helps to serve battered women.

Women Against Abuse's Lisitski said a crisis councelor spoke with the woman who had written the sign.

The woman, who she did not identify, is a survivor of domestic abuse, Lisitski said. The councelor offered advice to the sign scribe.

"So in a roundabout way, some good came of it," said the bar manager.

Lisitsky said that any intended irony did not excuse the sign.

"Even though it was written by a survivor, I think it's appaling," Lisitski said. "This is not acceptable."

Philly.com

This just goes to show how a seemingly innocent but, tastless joke can explode into a media firestorm in today's oversensitive and technologically connected world. IMO, the reaction to this went WAY overboard. Sure the sign was tacky and offensive and it should have been taken down immediately but, does it merit all of the condemnation it brought down on the bar owners and the firing of the employee?

How did the world get to the point where everyone is so quick to get offended over everything? It seems to me that there are some people who wake up every day just looking for something to get offended over.

Maybe people need to learn that we are all people and people make mistakes each and every single day of their lives. We need to learn to forgive the errors of others without seeking to crucify them in the public square.

edit on 2/27/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
Boo hoo. People get butt hurt over freedom of speech. Woe is them and their first world problems.

Over-reaction? You are damn right it is. The woman or the bar weren't PROMOTING domestic violence - they were making a JOKE, a situation that could easily be seen by clicking on ones local internet.

I am so sick and tired of today's world. The moment someone shows a gay character talking with a lisp, they have to make a public apology. The moment you see a black man eating chicken, the NAACP is up your pants. The moment you make a JOKE, your entire livelihood stands on the edge of ruin.

There is freedom of speech FOR A REASON. If you don't like it, then ignore it. You don't go around DEMANDING apologies and threatening people over it. Is it distasteful to some, sure, fine and dandy - but it is their choice to say and express themselves how they want to - and it should be no organizations business to get involved whatsoever.

10 posts before anyone commented on freedom of speech.

Some will say it's offensive.. Yup it is offensive, to some. If you know the situation it could be humorous. Regardless, still their right to write whatever they want to write on their chalkboard in their restaurant. That is why this country used to be great. Nowadays everyone of us doubles and triple takes what we want to do or say because we have to be hyper vigilant or we might hurt someones feelings or upset some non profit group. Please no comparisons to lynchings or anything because that is not what I am saying here. All that I am trying to get across is maybe we need to stop being so PC and just live and mind our own. Life would be such a better existence that way.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

10 posts before anyone commented on freedom of speech.

Because freedom of speech is irrelavent. She wasn't charged with a crime, she just took a lot of public heat, and got fired. There is no freedom of speech between an employee and employer, the employer has the final say on what is acceptable, and you either abide by it, or find work elsewhere.

Now, I am on the side of the woman here, and the employer missed a huge opportunity to capitalize on the situation. The woman should be a hero, she stood up in the face of adversity, survived her attack, flipped the bird to political correctness, and was in the process of working and getting on with her life. Her employer should have made her a poster child for his business, and leveraged all the social outrage into business!

The employer made a tactical mistake, but no freedoms were violated.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende

By the way, did you even read the damn thread ? your /rants are exactly what is wrong with this planet. People need to harden the **** up and get on with life instead of spending time worrying about words and names.

Bollocks mate.

People are way too hard.
We need to get softer as a species. We need to become more empathic and we need to stop using freedom of speech as an excuse to offend people. In a recent mini-debate with S.O. (on censorship) he mentioned that freedom of speech comes with responsibilities. It doesn't mean you can just go about saying anything, willy-nilly, without a care. It was an excellent point and one that caused me to rethink my stance.
Words and names, while they may not affect you, they can and do affect other people.

That sign was in bad taste, and yes, I'm aware the victim wrote it herself, but seriously it makes people laugh for all the wrong reasons.

What is wrong with this planet is that violence is embraced, racism is excused, insensitivity is rife and resource distribution is inequitable.

Now, if that woman doesn't like beer, then the sign makes sense. If she does like beer, then she is saying she likes domestic violence. Passersby are not privy to her details, therefore they draw conclusions that it is in bad taste.

I am in agreement.

It's not being "P.C". It's being empathic and sensitive, not just to those close to me, but to all people, as much as possible.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join