It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I like my beer like I like my violence; Domestic. Chalk sign goes viral.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It was an insensitive sign posted on a chalk board inside a bar. It was only up for about 30 minutes and was taken down as soon as someone complained but, not before someone snapped a pic, posted it on Facebook and started a PR nightmare for the bar owners.

Smith's domestic violence signage stirs social media maelstrom

Last week, Smith’s Restaurant and Lounge, a Rittenhouse eatery, posted a chalkboard beer advertisement that made a pun out of sexual assault. “I like my beer like I like my violence … domestic.” The offensive comment was spotted and photographed by a passerby and uploaded to Philebrity.com. Within hours, a mass response occurred across Facebook. Women Against Abuse picked up the photo and shared it with the tagline “With neighbors like Smith’s, who needs enemies? Let’s stand up to violence, not exploit it.” A series of alarmed responses flooded the comment box, with many readers taking action by calling the establishment or writing letters and emails.

The immediate outcry and overflowing response thanks to social networking was remarkable, but only part of the story. According to Women Against Abuse volunteers, several phone calls to the manager revealed that the sign was actually written by a female employee who had recently been sexually assaulted. The manager told them this was how the female employee was coping. Still, he noted that she had been let go due to the offensive signage.

Citypaper

Apparently, the sign was inspired by the Redneck Randal Meme and was the result of a battered woman's attempt to cope with her situation. She still lost her job over the uproar the sign created.

Now, as a result of a woman's bad judgement and a sign that was up for only 30 minutes, the resturant owners are being forced to repent to women's violence groups.

"It was just a big mess," Barry said today. "Oh God, we're very sorry.

"Now we have a new rule that everything has to be approved before it goes up on the chalk board."

In addition to an apology, Barry said he would personally volunteer at an agency that helps to serve battered women.

Women Against Abuse's Lisitski said a crisis councelor spoke with the woman who had written the sign.

The woman, who she did not identify, is a survivor of domestic abuse, Lisitski said. The councelor offered advice to the sign scribe.

"So in a roundabout way, some good came of it," said the bar manager.

Lisitsky said that any intended irony did not excuse the sign.

"Even though it was written by a survivor, I think it's appaling," Lisitski said. "This is not acceptable."

Philly.com

This just goes to show how a seemingly innocent but, tastless joke can explode into a media firestorm in today's oversensitive and technologically connected world. IMO, the reaction to this went WAY overboard. Sure the sign was tacky and offensive and it should have been taken down immediately but, does it merit all of the condemnation it brought down on the bar owners and the firing of the employee?

How did the world get to the point where everyone is so quick to get offended over everything? It seems to me that there are some people who wake up every day just looking for something to get offended over.

Maybe people need to learn that we are all people and people make mistakes each and every single day of their lives. We need to learn to forgive the errors of others without seeking to crucify them in the public square.

edit on 2/27/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
over reaction? are you kidding me?
maybe starbucks can put up a sign saying i like my coffee the same as i like my slaves - black!
i like my mustard like i like my railroad workers - yellow
i like my indians the way i like my steak - red
i like my scotts the way i like my lobster - trapped.
over reaction my ass! maybe someone should have shown the lady who posted the sign some domestic violence!
i like my sexists like my waiter - dumb!

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
over reaction my ass! maybe someone should have shown the lady who posted the sign some domestic violence!

Someone already did. She posted the sign as a way of coping with her situation; trying to find some humor in it.

Way to go there mister sensitivity.

That's got to be the most ironic post I've seen in a while; you are outraged at her making light of domestic violence then wish some upon her. You also seem to be well versed in your racist jokes.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I like my posts how I like my own genitals, short, sometimes funny, and people complain about them.

People just need to lighten up!

edit on 27-2-2012 by beezzer because: being silly

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
There is a nail salon near my house that always place hilarious ads on their marquis.

Some examples:

Get nailed by Lisa, $25!

Agony of da feet? Get a pedicure!

And so on.. I hope the crybabies around here don't ruin it. I am thankful for the many chuckles this creative locally owned business has given me.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So now we must give sensitivity training to victims..oh dear God, we're trapped in a bad movie...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

well i'll just let you know sir that my guyanese wife,her jamacan children,my irish/scottish children,and my own scottish ass is smiling at you and wishing you peace.
and our league of nations that live in this house are well aware of racism! EVERYDAY!!!
don't be so quick to judge what you don't know!
if this is how this woman deals with her old man slapping her around,well,she has issues.
racist my arse! how many years i put up with the english calling me a sheep shagger!
how many black men want to fight me cause my wife is black. 'what you doing with that white boy'
how many white people tell a black joke around me and i remind them of my wife,and they always say, 'its ok,i know her so its good'.
get off the cross buddy,we need the room

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

maybe starbucks can put up a sign saying i like my coffee the same as i like my slaves - black!

Bad joke yes. (although personally I think it's funny) there are people that will be offended by it.

Great comparisons of Starbucks,railroad workers,etc... That wouldn't fly anywhere, and your window wouldn't last 24hrs.

Sexist, how? (the joke, I Get is technically sexist) but if it was created by a women
How would it be sexist coming from their own sex?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Once again the politically correct police have cracked down.

The woman who wrote the sign was a victim herself, and in an attempt to show how she is dealing with the situation does something a little out of bounds, and suddenly it goes viral.

Should she have done it? Probably not, but the fallout from this is way over the top.

PC will be the death of us.
or shall I say, PC will leave us bereft of life, dont wanna offend all the dead people...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I guess you learn all the racist jokes when you've got a little bit of everything in your family. May God be with you and your wonderful family.

With all of the PR this has generated, who wants to bet that business doesn't INCREASE in that bar over this? They say there's no such thing as bad publicity. People will get to know the bar's name and those who think the sign was funny will go to support the bar and those who appreciate the bar owner's responce to the sign may decide to support them as well.

I'll bet this turns out to be a win, win for that bar. They should hire that girl back and give her a raise all the free publicity. Just make sure she doesn't have access to the chalk in the future.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Boo hoo. People get butt hurt over freedom of speech. Woe is them and their first world problems.

Over-reaction? You are damn right it is. The woman or the bar weren't PROMOTING domestic violence - they were making a JOKE, a situation that could easily be seen by clicking on ones local internet.

I am so sick and tired of today's world. The moment someone shows a gay character talking with a lisp, they have to make a public apology. The moment you see a black man eating chicken, the NAACP is up your pants. The moment you make a JOKE, your entire livelihood stands on the edge of ruin.

There is freedom of speech FOR A REASON. If you don't like it, then ignore it. You don't go around DEMANDING apologies and threatening people over it. Is it distasteful to some, sure, fine and dandy - but it is their choice to say and express themselves how they want to - and it should be no organizations business to get involved whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I'll bet this turns out to be a win, win for that bar. They should hire that girl back and give her a raise all the free publicity. Just make sure she doesn't have access to the chalk in the future.

Like any bar in Rittenhouse Square needs the advertising! They will go from busier to busiest.

And there are enough law offices right there that all she has to do is promise one attorney some free drinks and she'll get her job back faster than you can smack a .....oops...i mean pretty quick!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thepupils

all i know is that if i raised my hand to my girl,the sh#t would hit the fan! and i expect nothing less!
woman! you have more power than you realize! fight back.
domestic violence is not a joke,and either is racism! i'm sorry if i offended people with my last post,it wasn't intentional,it was to prove a point.
imo,the sign wasn't a good way of dealing with spousal abuse.
bobbit that ass hole!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
There is a nail salon near my house that always place hilarious ads on their marquis.

Some examples:

Get nailed by Lisa, $25!

Agony of da feet? Get a pedicure!

And so on.. I hope the crybabies around here don't ruin it. I am thankful for the many chuckles this creative locally owned business has given me.

In Orange county a nail place (Asian owned) used to do similar stuff like that.

Sticky Facials......$7
Finger toes........$12 (pedicure)
Etc....

I find it down to earth, and the people who laugh, are the people I associate/live with. Every friend,wife,neighbor,etc... Would laugh.

It's the 1% that kill it for the business.

"Shame.Shame.Shame"
"The whole world is watching"
"We are the 99%"

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, I can see how people are offended by this. That is their choice.
As a victim myself, I still thought it was funny. It's her way of dealing, and everyone deals with things differently.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

thanx for the love.
i just feel for the girl that got abused.
and ya,i get to know all the racist jokes first hand!
me and my wife have an on going joke with each other. we have a veggie garden,and she loves digging,so i tell her she is the best 'digger' i've ever known! she responds by telling me if we decide to raise sheep,we're in good 'hands'!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
its funny how the
sign says nothing
about women...

and the term "Domestic Violence"

TextIntroduction - Domestic Violence www.domesticviolence.org/ Domestic violence and emotional abuse are behaviors used by one person in a relationship to control the other. Partners may be married or not married; ...

the term is broad in its meaning ...

& not necessarily all encompassing of Women...

give a rest...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

lighten up Francis.

Don't you realize by making everything pc you inhibit the freedom and exchange of speech and ideas?

Why do you hate freedom?!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
First world problems...........your doing it right!

Whats not funny, is that she gets assaulted.......tries to cope with a joke......then gets fired! WTH!

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Wow, so here we have a woman who was assaulted, made a joke of it and the people that are supposed to be championing her are causing trouble for the establishment she worked at.

She loses her job, and a political storm ensues about the right/wrong of the situation.

"Listen, you aren't allowed to make fun of yourself. You have to be a victim and let us speak for you. You understand?!"

Give me a break...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join