It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What the hell is going on at ATS!!!

page: 5
22
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
reply to post by smurfy
 



Saying that i bet when I first joined there was probably someone posting exactly the same rant in here (probably about me)


There was...it was me

Has the quality of topics on ATS dropped? , page 1




posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealTruth84
Can't say I disagree with you OP. There are still some great contributors on ATS though, some who have spoken up in this very thread. Sometimes you just need to weed through the garbage to get to the treasure. Unfortunately there used to be more treasure than garbage here...



Agreed a hundred times. The problem is the rising amount of garbage.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd
 


almost to the day!

I was directed here by a like minded fellow saying "this site used to be really good but it's gone to sh!t", that was a couple of years ago so I guess it's been on the drop for a while... how far will it go though?



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
reply to post by TiM3LoRd
 


almost to the day!

I was directed here by a like minded fellow saying "this site used to be really good but it's gone to sh!t", that was a couple of years ago so I guess it's been on the drop for a while... how far will it go though?



LOL i'm just reading through some of the comments from back then. Scary..

How far will it drop?? As far as the owners let it. AS long as they get revenue from advertising its not in their best interest to change anything. Mate, things have been going downhill for a very long time.

Everything has a lifespan and ATS is no different, I will probably stay with it till the very end. But i know most of the vets have left and all the quality threads will dry up. And all the new users will walk through the hallways of ATS wondering what great civilization build those ancient and awesome threads with so much content and sound logic only to be answered by the ghosts of the past.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd
 


very nicely put



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd
 


That was a very poetic description.


I'm gonna keep the faith though and wait through this period of "growing junk."

It's not as bad, I think, as some people make it out to be.




posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
You guys would be quite surprised to know how many posters here have multiple accounts and have conversations with themselves.


Multiple accounts or multiple personalities?


Actually, I think I might do that. It might make me a better writer in the long run.

But yeah, some people are getting paid, and not by ATS, to throw garbage around here.

And then there are those who will "loan out" their account to make certain people think they're talking to one person when they're actually talking to someone else entirely. These aren't paid posters, they're doing it for personal reasons. What gives them away though is that while no two people talk the same, no two people write the same either. Everyone has their own way of wording things and structuring sentences.

And even though I might see them do this, you think I'm gonna let THEM know? I like having my fun too.



edit on 23-2-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
You guys would be quite surprised to know how many posters here have multiple accounts and have conversations with themselves.


Multiple accounts or multiple personalities?


Actually, I think I might do that. It might make me a better writer in the long run.

But yeah, some people are getting paid, and not by ATS, to throw garbage around here.

And then there are those who will "loan out" their account to make certain people think they're talking to one person when they're actually talking to someone else entirely. These aren't paid posters, they're doing it for personal reasons. What gives them away though is that while no two people talk the same, no two people write the same either. Everyone has their own way of wording things and structuring sentences.

And even though I might see them do this, you think I'm gonna let THEM know? I like having my fun too.



edit on 23-2-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)


Yes I have seen this happen myself. The same poster will post on one thread in a certain style and then in another in a completely different style. I know a few of the culprits but im not going to name names.

As a write I would be honored if you would read some my short stories and gave me any honest feed back. I'm thinking of writing as a hobby only and would appreciate any advice you would impart.

Also thanks you for the kinds words about my previous post.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake
 



Rather enjoy your posts and all the effort put into them. As other members who post similarly with such intent, makes quality of the site.


Thanks but to be completely honest I'm not sure I'm going to risk putting so much time into many more of them in the future, I mean If something similar happens then it's all potentially one great big waste of time and that's hardly fair on me really. I can hardly be expected to spend weeks on a project, get trolled with stupid claims I'm copying the whole thing off the internet (Minutes after posting, before I was even finished editing in fact so they're obviously talking nonsense) end up having to trash the thread because it 1.) It was no more than 5 - 10 minutes old already and 2.) Because of all the crap at the beginning and the off-topic posts etc. (hardly fair in itself to spend so long on something and it starts like that) and then why I try to get a little bit of support from that mod to see if I can re-post it already, because I wanted to at least show a bit of respect and wait til I got confirmation from him which he asked for, I get ignored. I end up asking again.. they say they'll be just a minute they're off to check.. and I don't hear back again. Sorry but I'm not going to put so much of my own time into something for that.

I'm just going to post it later on anyway now. There's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to be seen.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by dreamingawake
 



Rather enjoy your posts and all the effort put into them. As other members who post similarly with such intent, makes quality of the site.


Thanks but to be completely honest I'm not sure I'm going to risk putting so much time into many more of them in the future, I mean If something similar happens then it's all potentially one great big waste of time and that's hardly fair on me really. I can hardly be expected to spend weeks on a project, get trolled with stupid claims I'm copying the whole thing off the internet (Minutes after posting, before I was even finished editing in fact so they're obviously talking nonsense) end up having to trash the thread because it 1.) It was no more than 5 - 10 minutes old already and 2.) Because of all the crap at the beginning and the off-topic posts etc. (hardly fair in itself to spend so long on something and it starts like that) and then why I try to get a little bit of support from that mod to see if I can re-post it already, because I wanted to at least show a bit of respect and wait til I got confirmation from him which he asked for, I get ignored. I end up asking again.. they say they'll be just a minute they're off to check.. and I don't hear back again. Sorry but I'm not going to put so much of my own time into something for that.

I'm just going to post it later on anyway now. There's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to be seen.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)


My advice good sir is that you team up with all the other quality contributors on this site and make your own website. Like what Image did when Marvel was stifling the writers and artists creative capacities. Not the same thing but you get the analogy. The real ATS users come here for the content which is what you as a researcher brings to the site. Without you and people like you this site is nothing more than facebook you tube and twitter rolled into one.

If I was you I would seriously consider it. After all why waste your time and have someone else make money off it? You can get paid to do what you love. And who doesnt want to do that.
edit on 23-2-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Sorry but I'm not going to put so much of my own time into something for that.



Good advice from the poster above, if presentation and control is important to you, then you need to set up your own thing, because that is the only way you can have that. But then you have to work very hard to get the traffic, ATS has spent years getting to where it is. And of course as that traffic increases, the ratio of high quality to low quality is going to get more and more obvious. And there will always be those who are waiting to trip you up, who haven't been around long enough to know your reputation, etc, etc. You need to roll with the punches, learn to ignore those comments that are negative or aimed at distraction, and just hold your head up and concentrate on the job at hand, because really, have you any need to justify yourself to anyone?

It depends, entirely, on what you are looking to get out of the experience.

It would be a great shame though if you did just stop, as opposed to stopping because you are moving onto bigger and better things, which would be much more understandable. If you are no longer enjoying doing what you are doing then by all means, don't do it, because the majority on here will not appreciate it, however hard you work. If you are enjoying it, then # 'em, and ignore the pettiness.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The whole thing was just posted again, so for anyone who was interested: The Life and Times of John Hoover




posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against
 

I really hate to read those words, but I completely understand why.

If you ever want your own custom blog space let me know. If you can afford the domain name, you can host off my server. It's not much, but to be able to still read your writing & theories it's the least I can offer.

Good luck on getting that thread up today. I'm gonna go light an anti-troll candle and see if that helps.

OiO



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd
 


Hey man,

To be honest I don't even care that other people could potentially be making some money off of my threads, I do like this website after all and if anything I hope my thread's do make them money so they can continue to run. On a personal level though, I write about these kinds of topics mainly because I find them fascinating. It really is as simple as that. This whole era in America, around the 60's and 70's, just fascinates me and I want to learn about it. That's why I research it and then post a thread about it, I want a genuinely decent discussion and I want to share what information I've found.

These topics, to me, are important. That's why I was so annoyed I couldn't initially re-post though.. I worked hard on it, I was proud of it (which is why I'm annoyed someone chose to spam it) and I wanted people to read it and give their thoughts on it. To be stopped was a kick in the teeth really. But anyway, It's on the boards again now and I've linked it above. I hope you get a chance to read it.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against
 


I do understand, its a labour of love and the outcome of hours of research and organizing. To not only find the threads of information and to draw those strings together into a coherent tapestry is not only arduous physically but also mentally. I wish I had the research skills and patience you possess to do the same on threads and topics I love.

I will have had a look at it and there are quite a few topics about the black panther movement in there that I find intriguing that I will definitely read through. No matter what you decide to do know that your work ethic and pursuit of your passion will always lead you to where you are meant to go. Best of luck and keep up the good work.
edit on 23-2-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I guess what you have to decide (if you were to set up your own site) is what the main goal of setting up a site is. Is it to generate really good content, with only well read posters who contribute well written, intelligent content, or is to make money?

the first option will make a lot less money, the second option is another ats... i'm not sure you can have both, unless it's not a ugc (user generated content) website and you pick and choose the authors, but then that's something different to a forum...

good idea though



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
I guess what you have to decide (if you were to set up your own site) is what the main goal of setting up a site is. Is it to generate really good content, with only well read posters who contribute well written, intelligent content, or is to make money?

the first option will make a lot less money, the second option is another ats... i'm not sure you can have both, unless it's not a ugc (user generated content) website and you pick and choose the authors, but then that's something different to a forum...

good idea though


There is a market for everything especially information and on the net thats just a gold mine.

There is nothing to say you cant make money off ads and still have quality content. It's when people get greedy that things turn sour. Unfortunately this is a deep seeded psychological issue that has nothing to do with the world and everything to do with the insecurity any given person feels. Myself personally, i would fore go riches to provide a quality content driven site. But thats just me. You cant take it with you when you go and giving it to your kids wont teach them a dam thing about working hard and achieving their true goals.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against
 


just been over looking at your thread... good bloody work!

I haven't posted in that one because I don't really have anything of merit to add...

Off to read the rest now




posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against
 

I know what ya mean, has left myself, hate to say it, even less motivated to share many things even what I've have studied/written up and saved.

Hope we all find our peace with the thread issues.



posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against
 


Please do post it, and send me the link. I'd like to beat some of the
trawlers to the punch. I always enjoy your threads RA, keep em coming!




new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

log in

join