It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.0 EQ Dead Center New Madrid (Missouri)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
lol. You're going to find sand wherever there are rivers or oceans. Sometimes for many miles inland. Most of Seattle is built on sand, and the city is sinking. Japan suffered not only from the land shaking so violently, but also because of the water, which flowed several miles inland. Japan got washed to the sea. 9.0 is 100,000 thousand times bigger, and 32 million more times destructive than a 4.0. And many factors come into play, bedrock, sand, distance from the epicenter, etc. But I'm just sayin, a 4.0 in one place might feel like a 2.0 in another, or maybe even a 5 some place else.

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

Originally posted by yaquii
Some Californians and others think a 4.0 isnt a big deal. Well it is, depending where you live.. California is built on sand. Strike the sand with a hammer and it is pretty well absorbed. Strike bedrock, and well, your hands are gonna ring.

I'm really stating to dislike all the middle America and east coast saying their earthquakes are so much worse. Stop your crying japan's earthquake makes you look like a little girl seriously and i wonder if japan is all on sand as well lol because its a island. I can understand how this might seem so amazing just recently having to deal with earthquakes but get over your self's. How much damage has it caused? How many people got hurt? can you see the damage from earthquakes everyday in your streets like in California I highly doubt it. Also California isn't all sand lol sorry to ruin your dream that everybody in California has beach front property we don't

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

You are welcome!

Here's to your friend -raises his coffee cup-

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adamzero

I have never heard a single person pronounce it as mad-rid. Everyone has always pronounced it Ma-drid. I live in the South, grew up near the fault.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Source

The above link states that this EQ was felt across 13 states...

Check it out if you want..

13... hmmmmm my favorite number...

dun dun dun

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I'm in Kentucky and I didn't feel it myself (I was snoozin, lol), but I have a friend who did. He's from San Diego so he knows a quake when he feels one. Said it didn't amount to much, but he definitely felt it. I'm afraid this is very mild compared to what's to come.

P.S. I pronounce it "muh-drid."

edit on 2/21/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I haven't either. It's always muhhh, or maahhh, not mad-rid, regardless of accent.

Originally posted by MoEskiMo
reply to post by adamzero

I have never heard a single person pronounce it as mad-rid. Everyone has always pronounced it Ma-drid. I live in the South, grew up near the fault.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

i am always feeling things move... lol
so i dont know if i did? lol

edit on 2/21/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
it doesnt matter how its pronounced...

Its call dialect every area has a different one...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Bedrock quakes really rattle. We on the surface absorb the destruction. The number 13 is always interesting. Could we have a quake like that? I think it might be possible, if you happen to have a japan-like quake in the midwest (9.0 equated to 13, lol)

Originally posted by EvolEric
Source

The above link states that this EQ was felt across 13 states...

Check it out if you want..

13... hmmmmm my favorite number...

dun dun dun

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
So I wonder which is gonna have the "big one" first: San Andreas or New Madrid?
I'd hate to think of a situation where they both had big quakes in a close period of time. Is that even possible? Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I've never lived in an earthquake prone region!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
hey everyone.. long time lurker.. finally got me an account!

I live in StLouis. My daughter woke up at 3am and fell into my bedroom door she was so dizzy and wobbly and woozy like after going to the bathroom. she kept saying mommy i dont feel right. I laid her in her bed and gave her water and she said she felt better but had a headache. i read about the quake on our local news the following morning. after reading this i asked my daughter if she had a headache still she said uh..no? like what am i talkin about? it was weird. shes a healthy child and rarely gets the sniffles. i wondered if like some different currents were flowin from the 'gearing up of the shift' or something and made her woozy? just a thought...

Glad to finally (officially) be a part of the ATS Fam! You guys are awesome! Theres always intelligent conversation here!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have become so skeptical of all news emminating from govt sources for one reason. Since Haanel coined the phrase "Law of Attraction" in 1911, it appears that philosophers and scientists are rapidly coming to the conclusion that reality is a function of collective perception and intent.

Basically, if enough people accept a premise as part of their core belief system, reality changes to reflect the perception. Given certain elements of the govt have access to advanced scientific evidence and may have empirical data supporting this idea, is it possible they can telegraph their wishes of disaster in the form of warnings?

On some level they play the same game with gasoline prices, hoping to avoid riots in the streets by carefully telegraphing bull crap like refiners must switch from winter to spring formulas causing shortages and $5 gas or the war with Iran could make the perfect storm for double the price?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I'm no expert but I dont recall a 4.0 in my lifetime happening there?

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

edit on 2/21/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

A couple years back, there was one centered around Mt. Carmel, Illinois, which is part of the New Madrid fault area. It was a 5.4 and it was intense. I felt it shake pretty bad, ran downstairs and got everybody out of the house into the front yard. And we had a 4 point something one just a year or two before that centered around McLeansboro, Illinois, which was felt pretty strongly. We're starting to have bigger ones more often it seems. I've lived here since 1974 and those were the only two I ever felt.
edit on 22-2-2012 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected typo.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Mason

Well I certainly hope your daughter is feeling better...

If that happens again maybe you want to take her for a check up with your family doctor...

..I'm glad you joined!

Welcome to the ATS Family!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrulyColorBlind

Well there ya go,
I got proved wrong lol

Thanks for updating us!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Mason

HI there. I just read your post. Please research Earth Empaths. There are several people out there who get "feelings" or symptoms before a major event. When the event occurs, the symptoms go away. She is very intuitive and probably can pick up on other people's energies as well. If she avoids crowds then this is why. If she ever tells you that she gets a bad vibe off of someone, LISTEN to her and trust her instinct. Here is a link that may help if you have a facebook. www.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
I have become so skeptical of all news emminating from govt sources for one reason. Since Haanel coined the phrase "Law of Attraction" in 1911, it appears that philosophers and scientists are rapidly coming to the conclusion that reality is a function of collective perception and intent.

Basically, if enough people accept a premise as part of their core belief system, reality changes to reflect the perception. Given certain elements of the govt have access to advanced scientific evidence and may have empirical data supporting this idea, is it possible they can telegraph their wishes of disaster in the form of warnings?

wow yea... I think about this constantly. Maybe Conspiracies and conspiracy theorists are tools to create a new world order.

this whole new madrid killer earthquake thing feels off to me. I was very interested at first, but I have now withdrawn my attention to this being reality. I still look out for it, still follow the threads, but Now I strongly believe that nothing will happen there. Why?? because I don't want it to.

and we all lived happily ever after.
the end.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
My memory was incorrect. As I recall, I do remember one other one that the whole neighborhood felt, a slight one sometime back in the early '90's, I think. Probably only between 3.0 and 4.0, though. But that's the only three I can recall actually feeling here where I'm located.

The one centered close to Mcleansboro was weird. Everybody heard a loud explosion and then the ground just rolled to us and past like ripples moving outward in a pond. It must have been closer to the surface. The 5.4 one just shook everything for about 20-30 seconds and I was almost shook out of my (rather flimsy) computer chair. I was on the second floor, so you can bet I went downstairs with alacrity! My brother's wife had just come to stay with me and she was from Canada. Within the first month of her stay, we had a huge earthquake and an ice-storm that covered everything with 4 inches of ice. I told her "This is the mild season. Wait till tornado season gets here." She didn't really want to stay here anymore.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

I have often had the same thought !

glad im not the only one...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Mason

Hi 1Mason, you might be interested in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's an earthquake thread but centered around the physical signs and symptoms people are getting before a quake is felt, even if they are on the one side of the planet and the quake is on the other. My daughter had some pretty significant symptoms too associated with the 4.0. If you go to the last page of the thread you will see some posts about the 4.0

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join