It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.0 EQ Dead Center New Madrid (Missouri)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
RSOE Source

Check the link...

But it was a 4.0 at depth of 5.00 km (3.11 miles)

to the best of my knowledge thats a fairly large EQ for the area...

And at that depth someone surely felt it?

I dont like the looks of it...

Here is a screen capture from the above source

...to show area of extent...

Also here is a USGS Source for ya.

edit on 2/21/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
From USGS Shakemap, the perceived shaking is light and most people were sleeping so probably not too many felt it. 4.0 though is nothing to sneeze at there.

edit on 21/2/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
i have a feeling this is just the beginning of it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thats a really cool link!

Thanks for posting it!

I'm no expert but I dont recall a 4.0 in my lifetime happening there?

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

edit on 2/21/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney

I live not too far from the area in question...

And ever since 1990, when I was a kid they ran around screaming it could go any minute...
we did prep classes, drills... pop quizzes... movies... etc etc...
It was like the 1950's cuban missle crisis all over... except with a quake instead of nukes...

and since it hasnt popped yet... I'm very very skeptical that it will occur in my lifetime...

with that being said.. I wouldnt be surprised either if it popped soon...

And a stinking feeling in my gut says you are correct

But I will be patient... from my experiences growing up... if it is gonna.. we should see an increase in activity shortly...

so I'm keeping my eye out

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yeah, it's definately got everyone's attention. I read an "Introduction" post the other day and the dude said his buddies that work for FEMA (I think) were going away for 2 months because of some "inside info" that the New Madrid was going to get VERY active. They're expecting the BIG ONE... and then this 4.0 happens this morning.

More to come I'm sure.

Here's the thread. It was in the "Gray Area":
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2/21/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

I thought of the same thing...

hope they were just trolling

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
just keep yourself ready. i think that were all going to be going through some bad $hit here pretty soon. good luck!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney

I'm a crazy Hillbilly... I was born ready for anything lol

Thanks... Luck to you and yours too my friend.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I believe the post you're referring to is this one, and forgive me if I post this incorrectly..still new to ATS formatting as I don't often comment. "FEMA Friends Will Be Gone "For Some Time" www.abovetopsecret.com... where the poster Vinny5036 states he's in Illinois, an area which would be impacted by any New Madrid quake.

To my knowledge, this isn't unusual for the area, but maybe a once per year sized quake. I live in the region and, growing up, am used to hearing about "oh did you feel it? I felt it!" comments about once a year, a 3-4ish magnitude quake. So, not unusual, but rare, and a routine enough reminder that for my entire life, people have been worried about what a real "big one" (I hate that term) might bring.

Here is another ATS thread from last year about a 3.6 quake near the same area, albeit the thread was leaning towards other topics: 3.6 Quake near New Madrid

Personally, I'm not sure if I felt this, but at about the exact time this quake was reported (apparently ~85 minutes ago) I thought I heard (edit: the buzzing noise) and felt my phone vibrate like I got a text message. I keep it on my desk a few inches from my hand, so I can feel it normally, but I did not receive anything. I thought it was odd at the time, but this appears to be the explanation. I'm ~175 miles away.

Let's hope this stuff doesn't go badly.
edit on 21-2-2012 by idk42 because: edit to mention the sound..oops

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by idk42

Yup. That's the one. I think we posted the link at the same time.

A bunch of smaller quakes is better than a big one. Hopefully all will be well.

Note: Today is a "new moon" day.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Kick back and get the popcorn ready

Seriously though, it does appear to be picking up in strength and that is not a good sign

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

New Moons Suck...

opps I'm thinking of that Twilight movie... never mind lol

Yeah lets pray for continuous light release of energy and not a build up of immense proportions

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evildead
reply to post by idk42

Yup. That's the one. I think we posted the link at the same time.

A bunch of smaller quakes is better than a big one. Hopefully all will be well.

Note: Today is a "new moon" day.

Yeah, I spent awhile making my post so I was likely behind the times

I went to get off the PC finally (up way too late, heh) and found the door ajar (cracked open) and pretty decent winds out there. I've left it open accidentally before, but I've never seen it open after I've walked by it at least a dozen times today. I hope it's related, otherwise I'm a bit spooked..

The wind caused me to check the weather. Supposed to be in the 60s.....normally it's about 50 degrees colder. I know scare mongering is a big deal here, and I really don't want to do it, but like I said, I'm a bit spooked. I know that correlation does not equal causation, and coincidences happen, but I really hope this isn't a bad sign :/

That being said, I'm looking forward to waking up to the sunshine and enjoying tomorrow because nothing will happen

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Here's a little quick research on the 4.0 from Youtuber DutchSinse. Basically just bringing the quake to his followers attention and commenting on deliberate past flooding in that area from last spring;

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Screw him

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Is that for this quake? He's quick on the drawl...

I have never seen his stuff...
Might check it out tonight

Thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wow, don't know if earthquakes swarms have "seasons", but the thread www.abovetopsecret.com... just passed its one year anniversary. Will have to go back through the infos to see what the greatest magnitude was last year. It slowed alot once the ambient temperatures reached over 70 degrees or so. But New Madrid kept us quite busy last winter and spring. Time to dust off GEE and bring up those helicorders again. Here is the link for helicorders for Arkansas www.geology.ar.gov... and folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu... Both are good reference sites for monitoring seismics for area. Just remember not all links to seismographs are created equal, some are too sensitive and some are not sensitive enough, you kinda have to observe them all to see which ones to watch regularly. Will have to look up Missouri sites to get closer to that epicenter, easy enough with GEE.
Keep us posted let us know if its a preshake or anomaly.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I woke up at the same time as the earthquake, but I didn't know what it was that woke me until this morning. I live really close to the epicenter, so I'll be watching this close. Let's hope the New Madrid fault was just letting off some pressure.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Strange things are afoot.
First, Virginia has a 2.7, then this quake shortly thereafter.

I sure hope those who have decided to stick their heads in the sand have a change of heart.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join