It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.0 EQ Dead Center New Madrid (Missouri)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I live just on the edge of the area affected (Southern IL). while i did not feel this one as i was asleep, a 4.0 is not that big of deal here. Nobody here even knows about this one. I didn't even hear about it until saw it here. i have been around for several earthquakes 3.5 and up in the area. We don't worry about these little ones. We have been hearing about how we are going to have a massive 9.0 or something of that nature since i was in grade school. That is the only thing we are really worried about (well, that and tornado's).

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by clook

karen, in response to your many posts:
1. I have personally seen emergency personnel in place before a disaster. When an ice storm is predicted, the power company trucks from a few states park in commercial lots and wait. A few were waiting before the Good Friday tornado outbreaks in STL. In 2007 there were 2 periods when most of the STL area had no power for a week, and the power company got so much grief they are now very pro active.

2. Water moves downstream. The huge snowmelts in Iowa last year made the Mississippi and Missouri flood even though we had moderate drought. A gully-washer in Minnesota can show up in St Louis waterways a month later.

3. I assure you the ground "gives" around St Louis, and the companies who shore up cracked foundations are glad of it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Mason

Welcome to another St Louisian! Glad you're here.

Sometimes kids and pets can feel the precursor to quakes. I had ear problems and dizzyness from the Arkansas fracking quakes

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Which raises another good question.

How much of that fracking in Arkansas had an affect on the fault line itself.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined
re]

I don't believe the public will ever know the terrible results of the fracking until the ground water is poisoned and someone's house falls into a void. Unless you go and see it, people cannot understand how porous and random the geology is throughout the area. I adore geology so this is all amazing to me, but I do not believe the PAID geologists are willing to admit how bad fracking can be.

Many kinds of natural phenomenon weaken/strengthen the ground. Man made phenomenon like fracking and road harmonics (repeated vibrations on roads in the wrong place) are not helpful.

Here is just the tip of the iceberg on how the geology of the area makes predicting WATER levels and types difficult:
www.watersheds.org...

If water movement is so wacky because of the karst, how the heck can fracking fluids be contained? And how can vibrations, moving through these porous areas, change the earth to enable/inhibit earthquakes?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I realize this is not a predictions thread...that said...
I would "just myself" maybe a bit of a hunch...
I would exclude the cluster area ...beings that was, more or less ....explained as fracking...but was not 100% connclusive...IMHO.
Look /watch, check out, listen for any smell tremors along the newly discovered/unknown fault line, "that alone is tough" beings veery little if any info..is readily out there or published... that heads slightly SW....towards the recent cluster, "bit north mostly east of Harrison AR..."where I ran into fed geologists, 2 years ago, while camping" Caney Mountain to be specific, or just south of Yellville on hwy 14 off 62 hwy.
They were studying sand blows, and oddities, that just don't fit the "norm" of the surrounding landscape.

Possibly as far west as as Mt Judea hwy 123 south of harrison, and a bit west...some 35 miles south and west of Harrison...a good 100 miles, from the swarm of last year, but is the line the geologists, focused/followed....into the Boston Mountains..including the Buffulo River valley, and rumored to also follow White River valley north into southwestern Missouri.

No need for panic...I'm not fear mongering, this is my stomping grounds, camping, hunting, fur trapper, trying to follow traditions long forgotton...and hone my survival skills....the indians lived and prospered here for 1000's of years prior to modern ways, and compared to them our way of life is in its infancy.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Another one just occurred in the same spot. This time only a 2.5.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Makes sense. Thank you very much for the distillation. As I understand it, the "big one" in the 1800s was actually a series over the course of a couple of weeks or so. As such, I thought that perhaps a "build up" may have occurred. Looks like this is par for the course though...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Another one just occurred in the same spot. This time only a 2.5.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Check the date. That one happened yesterday.

From your link:

Magnitude: 2.5
Date-Time:
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 17:05:47 UTC
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 11:05:47 AM at epicenter

OiO

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Just to be clear... if you are from the area, It is pronounced Mad-drid. Not Ma-drid, as in Madrid Spain.
I was born there, and 4 generations back, so believe me, its New Mad-drid.
We live in Kansas City and are one of the few with earthquake insurance. Had to get it from a company in California.
The post with the link to Harp was interesting, did anyone click it and notice the same time of the earthquake there was a spike in the Harp?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
From Wiki:

Magnitude: 4.0–4.9
Description: Light
Effects: Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely.
Occurrence: 13,000 per year

Light earthquakes are a very common occurrence. There's nothing to get excited about. It's doubtful it's a precursor to a larger one, typically you get the larger ones without warning and then you get the smaller ones as aftershocks, not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Thank you for the info. I plan to get out there and drive the area in a few weeks.

I understand what you mean about our civilization being in its infancy.

People needs to learn signs of illness, weather, geological troubles.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
3.4 EQ West Virginia

The above links says people didnt feel any Earth movement...

I wouldnt even post this...

But I thought it might be worthy to note that is was -almost- -kinda- directly across from the 4.0 on the opposite side of Kentucky...

I found it either neat or odd

the location of the two quakes...

I dont think its that big of a deal?

But like I said it might be worthy to note...

I Photoshopped both quakes into the photo below for comparison

Source 1 Source 2 for the above map

edit on 2/22/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

there was a 2.5 at the same spot that same day

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

Can you tell me when you got the insurance? I have not been able to get EQ insurance through any source until just a week ago, I was told that there was a moratorium on the EQ insurance for the past several years. When I got it the other day I did not ask questions, just happily walked away with it.

I am wondering if FEMA made insurance companies offer it again to offset their expense when it does happen?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I also wanted to share that 2 nights in a row before the 4.? in Mo. the other day, I felt waves of nausea. These waves only lasted a couple minutes each, but when I heard about the EQ it came springing back to me as something I may have been sensitive to. ???.

Should we start a thread about EQ sensitivities and the human warning factors science seems to ignore? I mean we all know animals can give us clues but humans are also in tune at times even if we cant put out finger on it.

Did anyone else in all honesty feel anything prior to the EQ?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I also wanted to share that 2 nights in a row before the 4.? in Mo. the other day, I felt waves of nausea. These waves only lasted a couple minutes each, but when I heard about the EQ it came springing back to me as something I may have been sensitive to. ???.

Should we start a thread about EQ sensitivities and the human warning factors science seems to ignore? I mean we all know animals can give us clues but humans are also in tune at times even if we cant put out finger on it.

Did anyone else in all honesty feel anything prior to the EQ?

That is what many have been using the An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction thread for. Many posts in there about headaches, nausea, pressure in the ears, etc.

It's one of my favorite threads to follow.

OiO

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by idk42

This is my first time replying to anything so pls be patient if I didnt do this right. I just wanted to let idk42 (and everyone else) about the same changes going on here in West Texas. Two days ago we had winds up to 60+ mph causing an 18-wheeler to flip on its side and the driver unable to get out. According to the meteorologists, that was the most powerful wind we have ever seen in this area. I live on FLAT, dry, dusty plains...(thanks to the never-ending drought). Anyway, the wind has been blowing unexplicably here and the temp went from the 30's to the 50's to the 30's to the 50's and currently the 70's...yes, in that order within 2 weeks. It's hard to get accustomed to such dips and climbs in temps. Very unusual for here... Geez, I could go on and on about the few instances over the last decade that very unusual things (weather related) have happened here, but I don't wanna drag this out too long. Take care everyone, and remember: no matter what happens, DO NOT FEAR.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Oh wow, sounds great I will head over as soon as the nausea stops... head throbbing, etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I just posted this over at Quake watch pg 53, but just to fyi ya'll too, the USGS now has four quakes listed for this area, all on Feb 21, and the 4.0 has been down graded to a 3.9. USGS link and Map
Hmmm....

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join