It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Skywatchers, Great Views Of The Planets Coming Your Way.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
We deffinitely are going to have some great things to view astronomically this year with the transit of Venus across the disk of the Sun this summer, along with eclipses and great planetary views. As some have noticed already, Venus and Jupiter are shining brightly in the evening skies. Well it only gets better from there.

science.nasa.gov...

Feb. 17, 2012: Note to sky watchers: Put on your winter coats. What you’re about to read might make you feel an uncontrollable urge to dash outside.

The brightest planets in the solar system are lining up in the evening sky, and you can see the formation—some of it at least—tonight.

Go out at sunset and look west. Venus and Jupiter pop out of the twilight even before the sky fades completely black. The two brilliant planets surrounded by evening blue is a beautiful sight.

Heres a good one to remember.

A special night to look is Saturday, Feb. 25th, when the crescent Moon moves in to form a slender heavenly triangle with Venus, Jupiter and the Moon as vertices.

Mars is also beginning to shine brightly again and can bee seen rising in the western sky after dark.

Mercury will be shining this week for ome viewers as well.

www.space.com...

And for those living in the Northern Hemisphere, we're about to move into a very fine "window of opportunity" for seeing Mercury in the evening sky. That window, which will open on Feb. 22 and close after March 12, will provide several good opportunities to see this so-called "elusive planet" with your own eyes.

edit on 19/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Cant wait for some pics or a vid to come out. I had to work so I missed this
s

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You should still be able to look up and see Uranus and Venus, i see them till about 8 or 9pm, maybe even later (i never timed when i couldnt see them either),
It is pretty, venus is bright as hell!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I wish I could afford aTelescope,it must be magical to see them with your own eyes hanging in the sky.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I just wish that we weren't in the "Grey Season" around here...It messes up so much sky watching...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I remember last year seeing a spectacular alignment of mercury, Venus, Jupiter and mars. And for months now I have been watching Venus and Jupiter every night with mars showing up recently. Very impressive.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Build your own Newtonian...reply to post by paperface

You can afford one I bet...i thought it was great seeing this post...i am awaiting my plans now!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'll be out this week with the telescope hoping for clear skies. I will make sure to get some good pics of the crescent moon between the two and post them on here.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the Info. I have recently moved from Michigan to Florida and I can say that the stars look a little bit "brighter here".

I have been able to see things a lot clearer and Mars is one of them. It's so much brighter now, not just because of my move, but overall. I can't wait to see what more we have in store for us this year.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to [

Had a window of mostly clear sky just after sunset and managed to tag this one...
edit on 20-2-2012 by mjp54 because: Deleted photo...a newbie messes up...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Ok, going try posting one of the photos that I took this evening...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mjp54

Nice pic. We had hazy skies tonight but things are getting better.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is a great picture from Spaceweather.com

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Was gonna post this, glad to see it up already. been viewing them in my scope. can't wait til the 25th with the crescent moon. Hope the sky is clear!
Orion is very visible in the SE also. The Orion Nebula looks great.
Hopefully this will cut down on what star am I viewing for a while. S&F OP.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Another great shot posted on spaceweather.com

www.spaceweather.com...

When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Jupiter, Venus and the crescent Moon are forming a broad line in the sky. Daniele Gasparri photographed the arrangement from Bologna, Italy:

edit on 23/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder to look up this week!

Catching an ISS flyby this week would be pretty cool to go along with the rest of the show. I'll have some opportunities if the clouds cooperate.

Satellite Tracker

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I always forget about the ISS, thanks for the reminder.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I just moved here to Florida from Michigan and I can tell you the sky looks a lot nicer (and brighter) from here.

Now I just wish my dream of the entire US shutting there lights off for a few hours one night out of the year. That would become my favorite holiday.

I went out and checked out Venus earlier, she sure is shining.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Get off the computer and take a look at the moon tonight and next few days.
Venus below the moon, Jupiter above to the left. Awesome sight!
Now, if I didn't have 45mph winds I might get my scope out..blah.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Yeah I'm stuck with cloudy skies for the past 3 nights. I'm waiting for it to clear tonight so I can try to get some photos. I saw them last night in a break in the clouds and they looked amazing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join