It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should flags fly at half-staff for Whitney Houston?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well um wow is about all i can say. I am all for honoring the deceased, especially cultural icons such as the late Whitney Houston...but the entire nation to fly at half mast for her passing? I am a little baffled and at the same time totally not surprised.

Our culture has collectively placed those in the entertainment industry so far above the seething masses that the idea that these are simply ordinary people whose talents lead them into extraordinary jobs has completely escaped us. Performers are nearly sacralized through our idolization of them. I am not sure how to feel about this...its just...odd.

here is the article...another daily dose of wtf courtesy of the Internets and (of course) msnbc.

entertainment.msnbc.msn.com...

ETA:
I know that this has been spurned by her home state which i can understand, local gal turned big time should be honored but at the same time, I can think of a whole lot of solders whose passing went unrecognized on the national level who deserved this honor a whole lot more than she does.
edit on 15-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
NO!!!!!!

Do I need a second line?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
No!

NO!

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I would be disgusted to know that anyone flew a flag at half mast for Whitney. Since when do crackheads deserve such an honor?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I understand the idea of it. Respecting someone who was an icon. But she wasn't an important figure. She was a pop star. My flag will NOT be flying half mast for her. May she rest in peace, but she doesn't rate half-mast.

link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by macman

I would be disgusted to know that anyone flew a flag at half mast for Whitney. Since when do crackheads deserve such an honor?

/agree

link   
I have zero tolerance or pity for someone who dies via drug abuse, whether those drugs be legal or not.
Darwinism at its finest if you ask me.

edit on 15-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

link   
No! She derserves respect but she was
an entertainer not a hero.

Strange to even consider!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Flags at half-mast for a Crackie ??

I don't even want to see her on my TV.

Put her in the ":Good riddence to bad Rubbish" pile.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I was confused when I heard about New Jersey doing it. I thought it was for Military only?

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve some kind of respect/honor for what she has accomplished, but I didn't think that was appropriate.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
In my opinion it's a sign of sickness of a nation when this is done for an entertainer. An entertainer is not a national hero. An entertainer is just that; he/she takes peoples minds off of important issues for a short amount of time. But maybe that's the reason they're doing this, entertainment over education and politics. It's making me sick, and I'm not dissing Houston.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

link   
The decline of western civilisation.

Bread and circuses.
And the wheel turns.

link   
Definitley Not! Western Troops are dying in the middle east , sacrificing their lives to make the elite richer and all they get is a quick mention on the daily news. So why should Whitney houston get so much attention. I do not deny she was an excellent singer, but flying flags at half mast is inappropriate.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
no!!

why would they need to be? i didnt listen to her music and really dont care about her kicking the bucket either.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Hell No

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

She was a crack smoking, pill junkie celebrity and she lived a life of excess. Seriously?

edit on 15-2-2012 by Digital_Reality because: Removed rant...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Nope. I somewhat like her but nope nope nope. If TPTB want to honor her, get the CIA to cut crack prices in half. That way she can be remembered for what she was, and the money saved on crack can help boost the economy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Maybe this flag.
www.endangereddurham.org...
edit on 15-2-2012 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I guess if you are a Pop-Diva from New Jersey you get it.

This world is going to hell.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Did ijust read what i thought i just read? This is bull#! Yes she deserves mourning and respect, but to go so far as to half mast/half staff the flag is just wrong, especially for a junkie as herself.
edit on 15-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join