It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should flags fly at half-staff for Whitney Houston?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If she represents absolutely no loss to me, why should I even "mourn"?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Most obvious answer surely has to be.....

[size=20]NO

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by Iwinder

I am seeing in this thread the push to raise up the addicts and garbage to hero status........

I have not seen any responses attempting to hold Houston up as a hero. She is not a hero by any means.

But I do not have a problem with people respecting and honoring another person with such a simple, yet profound gesture. Addict and "garbage" are a very general term that would encompass every single one of us in one way or another based on the viewpoint of each individual.

We are all human, we all have our faults. I hope to be honored in death by those close to me, and those who are part of my life....whether I am a drug addict or a saint.

I disagree with you putting us all in the same boat as Houston.......She made hundreds of millions singing and she was a role model for awhile until it became apparent she had a major drug problem.

I and my my have made very little money all our lives comparatively to Houston, we don't do drugs and we are nobody's role model.

Are we to expect a half mast across the country when we die......Hell no ....If I was a star and sniffed up every moment I had the chance could I possibly get an honor guard or half mast?
Maybe if I was rich enough, for sure if I had connections to the MSM and record producers.....They have lots of punch and they are almost all Jewish.......

Yeah then drop the flag for me and not my neighbour who died in Afghanistan because I do snow and can sing.
Disgusting.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yeah all drug addicts should who OD'D should have flags flown at half mast.

Ranks right up there who burn them.

Why anyone would even ask or think of that all i can say is

Hell No!.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I really had no opinion on Whitneys death until this BS came out. It really amazes me, we are on the verge of major calamity on a global scale and all that the news and all of the brainwashed masses can focus on is the self inflicted death of a drug addict. And people wonder why we are so screwed up?

I've never understood why people idolize all these singers and movie stars. Do you think any of these "idols" would really give 2 craps if one of their fans died? They would just figure that there would be another fan to replace the dead one.

We really do live in a society with screwed up priorities.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
I really had no opinion on Whitneys death until this BS came out. It really amazes me, we are on the verge of major calamity on a global scale and all that the news and all of the brainwashed masses can focus on is the self inflicted death of a drug addict.

Just in the spirit of honesty, I wouldn't be beating the drum of "drug addict" -- yes she was one but I haven't heard of legal opinion on her death yet. I do not condone drugs.

I agree with the spirit of the rest of your message. In one major outlet, somebody ironically said "JLO, we used to give a f##k about you before 9/11". It's amazing that we are slipping to the same level of complacency -- I'm not talking about another terrorist act but the general rotten state of things in the country.

I mean, on the scale of 1 to 10 how important is the great singer of our generation, WH?

Answer: 0.3

I hope governor Christie eats his toilet paper, because flying flags at half mast and all should be reserved for really drastic things, and this @sshole doesn't know the difference.

Whoever is from NJ here on ATS, learn your lesson. You voted a root vegetable into the office.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I think you are looking way too deep into the issue. This is not about money or drugs.

This is about letting people show their respect for someone whom has passed in whatever way they see fit. It doesn't mean you or I have to do it.

So my opinion is more rooted on a much more "human respect" sort of level than anything.

As a side note, we are all role models to someone, whether we are a rich singer or a poor mechanic. The lessons we teach the next generation live on after we have left this world. I would drop the flag for you or anyone else if they made a difference in my life. As a matter of fact, there is one "addict" that has made a huge contribution in my life and my flag will fly half-mast when he passes....addict or not.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It's just in New Jersey. If Christie thinks it's appropriate, it's his call.
That said, regardless of her talent and Superbowl halftime performance, yes, I would have a problem over the "half-staff" flags being nationally mandated, which is clearly not the case.
Just because someone cannot overcome their earthly demons does not mean that whatever they have attained in their corporeal life is invalid.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Absolutely not, half staff should only be reserved for any countries best. No disrespect to the deceased or the families involved, but there are far more distinguished individuals who did not receive such honers. If it is allowed it will speak volumes of where we place our values as a national culture.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

Why do we need a government to tell us when to fly our flag at half-mast in respect of the fallen? I change mine whenever the situation is needed, and I don't wait for approval for any government or political party!

Whom gets to decide which people are worthy of such an honor?

I do, you do and anyone else that makes that decision.

Have we really come to the point that we have to play politics over which people get to be respected in death through a simple gesture as this? We have sunk to a new moral low, and this thread is proof of it!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
sorry- I haven't read through this thread. today i saw an article that said she was a lesbian and found it difficult to 'come out' or whatever. At the end of the day she chose her path whatever it was and fame comes at a price...She was a terrifically gifted singer...Obviously not an inspiration in her latter years but appeared to look after her daughter and hold it together. One can only speculate and whether she was a lesbian, drug addict whatever...she was and will remain an icon...a great singer of our time...she should be left to Rest in Peace whatever her demons.

I think she was great and am sorry for what she suffered......

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As regards the flag ting...it is up to her home town and dignitaries to decide...NOT US

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh
The decline of western civilisation.

Bread and circuses.
And the wheel turns.

Agreed. I will admit to having felt marginally wistful when I heard, "I Want To Dance With Somebody," playing in the pub earlier today, but flying a flag at half mast for Whitney is pure insanity.

The other thing which continues to sicken me about the hype surrounding American celebrity deaths, is the degree of callousness shown for the millions who have died in Guantanamo or elsewhere due to America's foreign invasions. They are not considered human at all; and yet everyone cries for Whitney?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Celebrity worship is dumb

Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure

In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes when proclaimed by the President, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring citizens who have died, especially government officials and prominent citizens. However, the Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally. Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen. It is important to note that the Flag Code is a code, it is intended to provide guidance and is not obligatory. It carries no civil or criminal penalties for "misuse" of the Flag. Individual are not acting illegally when using the Flag according to their own usage. Only on government / public building is the flag code required to be followed.

Read more: www.gettysburgflag.com...
edit on 16-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

You are not serious are you?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
NO!!!

My belief is that the honor of half mast is only for heros. Military personel, Police or Firefighters. Just because someone spent their life singing and making money dose not warrant half mast in my book, What has she done for the nation besides provide music? May she rest in peace but she does not deserve such an honor.
edit on 2/16/2012 by JROCK2527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
How embarrassing.

I guess this goes to show the values of modern America.
edit on 2-16-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This has got to be a joke right? A PAMPERED SOILED DRUG ADDICT who was given multiple chances to live live in a manner most people could only dream about...dies...and we actally have a topic to contrmplate HONORING HERE?

I do a job that I cannot talk about and I have seen VALIENT PEOPLE do thing KNOWLING that killed them but SAVED OTHER PEOPLES LIVES. I myself have been SHOT at close range....but thanks to some very smart people what should have been a DEAD ME...turned out to be a VERY PISSED OFF...asking for my rifle so I could be the one to KILL the SOB...but even though this type of body armour is highly advanced and you don't need metal or ceramic plated which weigh our guy's down way too much and I am a BIG proponent to making this Body Armour Standard Issue!....It is ver expensive so I may be barking up an empty tree.

I have witnessed brave young men DIE because they let their guard down for just a split second while handing out candy to a bunch of half starved kids...and the person who killed him kille 5 or maybe 6....I am not sure about the 6th one because we left after he was Medevaced..........as well as seeing people get captured tortured and electrocutedto dearth....and ther was nothing we could do as we had to stay on plan although we all wanted to say F@#% THIS PLACE and go get our guy! If we did....Hundreds would be dead now that are not and are living out decent lives because their problems are hopefully behind them...my buddied families are just starting.

So In My OPINION...this woman does not deserve a Half Flag Day! Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
NO

Absolutely not.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
No!
Although she did have a beautiful voice, and was somewhat of a cultural icon, that does not entitle her to any form of reverence and honor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join