It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Supervolcano Will Destroy U.S Much Sooner Than You Think

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Because Sorcha Faal is a troll and trolls are powerful enough to divert all attention to them.

Even if it wasn't Sucha, Sucha's fiction writing has damaged that source.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Oh is it Yellowstone thread time.I haven't seen one of those in a while.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Well if someone can find a credible source to show that things have drastically changed in regards to super volcanoes, ie, "parts of the ground have heated to just under 1,000⁰ F while the earth is bulging from a building lava dome and a lake has completely boiled away"

As i could only find one dubious source.

Then it would make this thread a lot more interesting

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
your source is full of crap ... im sorry to say ...

its not even a news site . and saying that YS is going to blow within our lifetime is more crap ..

tho the one in china on the other hand will prob blow within a year or two and i have made a thread on that a while back.. but i do not agree with your source ....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Denied

My question is, lets say this supervolcano ended up exploding, how far would the smoke and dust be spread, would anyone know?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

i dont agree with my source either

i posted it not realising how poor that source was, with no other evidence to back it up, my bad.

but in my last post im just curious if it can be backed up by any other source, with a bit more credibility, and if not, then no worries.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Denied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
reply to post by alysha.angel

i dont agree with my source either

i posted it not realising how poor that source was, with no other evidence to back it up, my bad.

but in my last post im just curious if it can be backed up by any other source, with a bit more credibility, and if not, then no worries.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Denied because: (no reason given)

Iv been following and learning from the YS thread for years now and ill do some digging around and if i find something . ill let you know ...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Denied

Your opening post sent chills down my spine.

Last week I found a book that when I came across it I felt a very strong drawing towards purchasing it - almost like it called to me.

Have not read it yet. Called, Ashfall by Mike Mullin.

"The pre-Friday world of school, cell phones, and refrigerators dissolved into this post-Friday world of ash, darkness, and hunger."

Left home alone for a weekend in Cedar Falls, Iowa, while his family visits relatives in Warren, Ill., 15-year-old Alex Halprin ends up fighting for survival trying to get to them through an America ravaged by the sudden eruption of the supervolcano under Yellowstone Park. Alex is characterized by the decisions he makes when confronted with moral dilemmas—dilemmas that have no straightforward, correct answers—resulting in a realistically thoughtful protagonist dealing with complex and horrifying situations. Before he's even left his hometown, Alex encounters looting and other behaviors born from realization of just how finite resources are in emergencies. Traveling to Warren, he's even more vulnerable, both to the elements and to the mercies of the people he encounters. Among the best people that Alex encounters are a girl named Darla and her mother, Mrs. Edmunds, both self-sufficient farmers. But any relief is temporary—threats both environmental and human are ever present. While the pain and suffering Alex witnesses and experiences is visceral, so are the moments of hope and glimpses of human goodness.

In this chilling debut, Mullin seamlessly weaves meticulous details about science, geography, agriculture and slaughter into his prose, creating a fully immersive and internally consistent world scarily close to reality. (author's note) (Speculative fiction. 14 & up)

Source: www.kirkusreviews.com...

I started reading the first few pages and it proves to be a interesting book.

Many people posting on ATS that live around Yellowstone have said that something's happening, the ground is shaking and with the noises in the sky

I sure hope things calm down for just a bit until at least we have found another planet we can all hop onto.

We possibly need to be putting our money into going peacefully into space vs military and war.
edit on 13-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Well, as I've said before-If it blows we will be the first to know about it!

I get I should care, but why? I can't do a damn thing about it.

Originally posted by David291

Star for you

Why care? There's nothing anyone can do. Get used to it and live your lives, that's my opinion.

but i can't live my life if their is lava OH ****** HERE IT COMES BLARUGHUYHGLBLLE

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by NeoVain

If we were standing here, 10 years ago, discussing this then I would agree. Heck, I said the very same things. However, we now stand closer to full regional warfare in at least ONE region...and possibly world war than I think Earth has been since the close of World War II.

If I manage to keep myself and immediate family alive and healthy through what is to come, I'll count it a success. If I actually find the opportunity after that to help others and perhaps make a difference that saves a few other people, I'll call that the best gift fate and Karma could allow under the circumstances.

I think we're entirely too late and beyond the point of turning back to think this can be stopped anymore though. I hope you and those like you have that positive outlook with in in 5-7 years. It'll be what makes the difference between rising like a Phoenix from the Ashes....or going through another extended Dark Ages period.

I am sad to see you have so little hope of the future. I believe we are all like GOD, in that we are able to shape our own future exactly how we want it, if we can only learn to work together and abandon the fear. We need to start striving for what we REALLY want to happen, instead of for what we FEAR will happen!

Anything less, would be the act of a madman.
edit on 12-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

You know, I've gone away and thought a bit about all this before coming to reply. You brought me up a little short by the stark reply about the way I've come to view the future and I guess I hadn't thought from an outside perspective for how it does appear.

So, if I may....let me clarify just one area. Do I have hope for the future? Not in the short term. Absolutely not. Math says we're doomed....military conflict says we're doomed....and absolute total incompetence in command and leadership during this critical period says we're doomed, among other things. Short term? It IS a dark and hopeless picture we face if the entirety of the situation before us is taken into consideration.

Note I mentioned 5-7 years for when your very optimistic thinking will matter. SHORT TERM future outlook is about as dark as I can imagine it ever being. It won't last though..and HOPE lay there.
Someday these wars WILL end and the United States WILL return to a state of peace with whatever we have left by that point.

HOPE is how we rebuild and reform this great nation of ours in that future. I don't believe millions will be here to see it..and who knows...I'm arrogant to assume I'll be among those who make it, probably. As you note though, hope is critical, and the future BEYOND the present we currently face IS where I see hope and things to positively plan for.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
Many people posting on ATS that live around Yellowstone have said that something's happening, the ground is shaking and with the noises in the sky

Yellowstone has been shaking, rumbling and spewing hot water for a very long time. Its one of the most geologically active areas in the world

The time to worry is when Old Faithful stops.... Then you know the game is over

Odd thing is the live cam is down

But people on ATS will scream "The Sky is Falling" on every little shake in the earth...

Today things look calm

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:59 PM MST (Wednesday, February 1, 2012 19:59 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Yellowstone Volcano Observatory
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Now I suppose you could say the USGS is a government agency and they are LYING but that is just silly

VERY quiet right now....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

You can also check here daily and see a whole lotta shaking going on around the world

IRIS Seismic Monitor
www.iris.edu...

Hmmm seems we had one in Nevada couple days ago
01-FEB-2012 14:40:31 40.92 -115.06 4.3 0.0 NEVADA

But not showing anything in Yellowstone for weeks

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Here's a live cam but it refreshes
www.alltravelcams.com...://www.nps.gov/webcams-yell/oldfaithvc.jpg&sponsor=National %20Park%20Service&sponsorurl=http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm&camwidth=800&camheight=608&refreshrate=30

sorry about the link duno why its like that
edit on 13-2-2012 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

Yellowstone.................from what I have read it, it would affect the entire planet.

www.earthmountainview.com...

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART II

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART III

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART IV

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART V

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART VI

PART II OF THE FILM

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART I

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART II

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART III

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART IV

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART V

YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO - VIDEO - PART VI

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Really interesting sight, beautiful pictures - information is not brand new but interesting. I'll give y'all a taste and if you want to see the rest it's here: www.earthmountainview.com...

6-30-10 - WHY DID NO ONE QUESTION WHY A 10,000 YEAR OLD GLACIER SUDDENLY MELTED?
Melting Ice Unearths Ancient Weapon Near Yellowstone

Wednesday, 30 June 2010
One rule of living in a northern clime: you never know what will turn up in the yard when the snow melts. That was especially true for researcher Craig Lee, who found a 10000 year-old weapon after glaciers melted close to Yellowstone National Park.
The researcher, Craig Lee, a researcher at University of Colorado, Boulder, identified the weapon as a birch atlatl dart, about 3 feet long. Lee theorized that because glaciers and ice patches are melting at a faster rate in recent years, more archaeological discoveries are being discovered.
Lee commented, “We didn’t realize until the early 2000s that there was a potential to find archaeological materials in association with melting permanent snow and ice in many areas of the globe.”
The spear found near Yellowstone is just one of many potential relics that can be found in melting ice. Lee is working with other researchers to create a geographic information system (GIS) to pinpoint other possible locations of frozen artifacts. In addition, he said that the most likely things uncovered in melting ice would be discarded or lost weaponry, like arrows or darts that missed their target.
12-28-09
Yellowstone Supervolcano Bigger Than Once Thought
LISTEN NOW
Published December 27, 2009 4:00 PM

You know that supervolcano beneath Yellowstone National Park? The one responsible for the steam that makes the place famous? Well, it turns out that supervolcano is super indeed — both bigger and deeper than scientists had previously known. Host Guy Raz speaks with geophysicist Robert Smith of the University of Utah about his new research on the larger-than-thought volcanic system beneath Yellowstone.

The supervolcano beneath Yellowstone National Park is bigger, much bigger, than scientists had previously thought. A team of researchers found that the plume of hot and molten rock that feeds the volcano rises from a depth of more than 400 miles below the earth's surface. And the reservoir that holds that molten rock, well, it's 20 percent larger than we once knew.
University of Utah geophysicist Robert Smith led that team and joins us from member station KUER in Salt Lake City.
Welcome to the program.
Professor ROBERT SMITH (Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah; Geophysicist): Thank you. Glad to be here.
RAZ: Can you put this supervolcano into a perspective for us? I mean, how have its past eruptions compared to, you know, a volcano like Mount St. Helens?
Prof. SMITH: Well, recall that Yellowstone National Park, of course, is the quintessential geology park with hot springs and geysers. They derive their heat from magma from an active volcanic system that has been in the Yellowstone area active for about two million years.
In the two-million-year span, there's been three giant eruptions. And these, you know, occurred, well, two million years, 1.3 million and 640,000 years ago. And in between these eruptions and since the last one, there's been smaller eruptions, many much bigger than those of Mount St. Helens.
RAZ: Now, Professor Smith, presumably, you and your team could not start digging underground to find this magma chamber and actually measure it because you wouldn't be speaking to us now, how did you actually figure this out?
Prof. SMITH: Well, we use a method called seismic tomography, which is similar to a CAT scan of a human body.
RAZ: Mm-hmm.
Prof. SMITH: And we measure the speed of earthquake-produced waves that propagate through the earth. And we record them on a large array of seismographs at the surface. And when a seismic wave, just like a sound wave I'm talking to you is a seismic wave, if it's speeded up or slowed down by the rock material, and hot rock produces generally lower speeds of sound than cold rocks, and so what we then do is record, you know, literally thousands of earthquakes and do a computer reconstruction of where they were slowed down or speeded up. And from that, we can construct an image. We're illuminating a body just like turning on a light or like taking a CAT scan or an X-ray.
RAZ: Now, there are two components to this, right? I mean, there's the magma chamber, which is 20 percent larger.
Prof. SMITH: Right.
RAZ: But then there's this volcanic plume that is about 400 miles below the earth's surface, below - actually below the town of Wisdom, Montana, which is, what, about 100 miles from Yellowstone?
Prof. SMITH: Yeah, that discovery we've made in the sense that most people had originally implied that plumes in the earth, they're just vertical features like boiling water in a teapot. And what we found is, in fact, it's tilted because the Earth's mantle is moving at a few centimeters per year, and it's tilted because the hot material is caught in the wind of the mantle.
I'd like to use the analogy you see smoke rising, and when it gets into a breeze, it gets slightly tilted by the breeze. Well, that's what's happening in the Earth's mantle beneath the Yellowstone area.
RAZ: So, any reaction from the folks in Wisdom, Montana? I mean, are they sort of preparing to become a vacation destination in the next million years or so?
(Soundbite of laughter)
Rest of article: www.earthmountainview.com...

Pictures above are from the above source link.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

My brother in law is a Geologist and says that is a pretty accurate picture of what would happen if Yellowstone blew.

Another really super interesting site if you are interested in this can be found here along with a beautiful video from National Geographic..............super interesting. news.nationalgeographic.com...

Source see above same for picture. Yellowstone Has Bulged as Magma Pocket Swells
Some places saw the ground rise by ten inches, experts report.

Brian Handwerk

for National Geographic News

Published January 19, 2011

Yellowstone National Park's supervolcano just took a deep "breath," causing miles of ground to rise dramatically, scientists report.

The simmering volcano has produced major eruptions—each a thousand times more powerful than Mount St. Helens's 1980 eruption—three times in the past 2.1 million years. Yellowstone's caldera, which covers a 25- by 37-mile (40- by 60-kilometer) swath of Wyoming, is an ancient crater formed after the last big blast, some 640,000 years ago.

(See "When Yellowstone Explodes" in National Geographic magazine.)

Since then, about 30 smaller eruptions—including one as recent as 70,000 years ago—have filled the caldera with lava and ash, producing the relatively flat landscape we see today.

But beginning in 2004, scientists saw the ground above the caldera rise upward at rates as high as 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) a year. (Related: "Yellowstone Is Rising on Swollen 'Supervolcano.'")

The rate slowed between 2007 and 2010 to a centimeter a year or less. Still, since the start of the swelling, ground levels over the volcano have been raised by as much as 10 inches (25 centimeters) in places.

"It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," said the University of Utah's Bob Smith, a longtime expert in Yellowstone's volcanism.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Exactly! I was born and bred in the Los Angeles area. Heard all my life about the "Big One" coming.

If I had lived my life in fear of the "Big One" - - I wouldn't have had a life at all.

I fear physical pain - - but I don't fear death.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I live only 200 miles south of yellowstone, it would be a shame if it blew its so beautiful,
But if it does id much rather be in the dead zone than have to deal with the aftermath
No reason to live in fear ...I'll just enjoy the yellow gaint as long as I can lol

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So a huge volcano is getting ready to blow and kill us all, WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT IT? so far no one's figured it out.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
when it happens Japan, China, new guinea and Australia will be hit by a tsunami.
apart from that it will do the rest of the world a LOT of good.
we will have to put up with a lot of dust.
no more need for chem trails.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join