It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Supervolcano Will Destroy U.S Much Sooner Than You Think

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I find the studies going on with the fastest inflating volcano in the world, located among several super volcano caldera pretty fascinating.
Though Uturuncu in Bolivia is not a super volcano itself, it provides many important clues.

Here's an article on Uturuncu, the fastest inflating volcano in the world.

Since monitoring began in the 1980s, Uturuncu has held steady as the fastest-inflating volcano on Earth. On average, it grows by one centimeter a year, says Shanaka de Silva, a volcanologist at Oregon State University and a contributor to PLUTONS. That inflation is from magma being pumped into a belowground magma chamber. But unlike many volcanoes — where a rapidly inflating magma chamber often indicates an impending eruption — this one is remarkably stable and shows no signs of erupting any time soon. “We’re trying to understand whether the rapid rate has something to do with the supervolcanic complex or if it’s just a rapidly moving normal volcanic system,” de Silva says. “Eventually, we’d like to have a better understanding of the rate at which magma is accumulating under Uturuncu and the geometry of that inflation,” he says. The PLUTONS project has approached studying Uturuncu from so many angles, including InSAR satellite imagery, seismic and gravity data analysis, magnetotellurics, geomorphology and modeling studies, that de Silva says the effort seems more like volcanic forensics than mere geology.

As said, it's not a super volcano, and not predicted to evolve into a super volcano, but, because it sits amid a super volcano complex, and it is the most rapidly inflating volcano on the planet, it exhibits a number of puzzles and possible answers to many questions.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Originally posted by antonia
Well, as I've said before-If it blows we will be the first to know about it!

I get I should care, but why? I can't do a damn thing about it.

Star for you

Why care? There's nothing anyone can do. Get used to it and live your lives, that's my opinion.

Not anything to do? How about building some bunkers, or moving to another country, perhaps that would work. Nah why bother right? Might as well go down with the volcano.

At least honest people like you make it easy to spot the crazies in threads like this.
edit on 12-2-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

I thought the Vulcans would side with us in the end times apocalypse.

It seems I am wrong, very wrong.

Live long and prosper

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

*Note to self, start working on self replicating oxygen system for highly armored magma safety suit after breakfast tomorrow

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Denied

I see another steaming turd excreted by none other than Sorcha Faal!

Do these people really think that we're all stupid enough to believe their lies?

Sorcha Faal? Try Terence Aym.

Why do you people always see Sorcha Faal hiding in the nearest bush when the truth gets out.

Even when he is nowhere to be seen.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Okay, so let's make sure I understand this. Elenin missed me. Whew.. close one there.
Now if Nibiru/Tyche/Nemesis doesn't clobber us or throw a comet into us..whichever the theory of the week is now...and we aren't zapped by aliens above...and we aren't killed by poisons, toxins and GMO meddling in everything down to the almighty twinkie...Oh..and Fukushima doesn't kill most of us on the slow motion installment plan....If we survive all THAT.....and are actually feeling like the luckiest bastards to ever walk the Earth.....

We'll be greeted with the rumble of this sucker as we're blown right through the atmosphere and into space along with a fair part of North America. I didn't miss anything, right?? I just want to have my big nervous breakdown all at once. I'd be so mad to have it all out...then discover I missed something important to start the stress cycle all over again.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordnightstalker
reply to post by NeoVain

*Note to self, start working on self replicating oxygen system for highly armored magma safety suit after breakfast tomorrow

Sorry don´t think that will help you. You really need to consider moving to africa. Somalia is nice this time of year, or so i hear.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Hey, that's right.. Somalia may be a great place. Cheap costs of living, easy immigration and the only threat is the daily game of dodging Jihadi's determined to kill me. Hey, compared to the myriad of nightmares we think up to worry about here, that sounds like a simple life some days.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Well, as I've said before-If it blows we will be the first to know about it!

I get I should care, but why? I can't do a damn thing about it.

Yea I kind of tend to agree, I mean I think there is a star thats like 8 ly out and its about to go nova, and might send its gamma ray burst in our direction, in which case we'd all be fried instantly, or a superflare from the sun I think is a very real possibility, one damaging enough to pretty much vaporize all life on earth. I say just live life for the experience, have your goals and stuff, but you just gotta remember its just a ride, sometimes you just have to focus on the now, and not about where and when it ends.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Okay, so let's make sure I understand this. Elenin missed me. Whew.. close one there.
Now if Nibiru/Tyche/Nemesis doesn't clobber us or throw a comet into us..whichever the theory of the week is now...and we aren't zapped by aliens above...and we aren't killed by poisons, toxins and GMO meddling in everything down to the almighty twinkie...Oh..and Fukushima doesn't kill most of us on the slow motion installment plan....If we survive all THAT.....and are actually feeling like the luckiest bastards to ever walk the Earth.....

We'll be greeted with the rumble of this sucker as we're blown right through the atmosphere and into space along with a fair part of North America. I didn't miss anything, right?? I just want to have my big nervous breakdown all at once. I'd be so mad to have it all out...then discover I missed something important to start the stress cycle all over again.

So all you are really planning of doing about it, is have a nervious breakdown and expect that settles it?

How about unifying us all and start building giant space-borne noahs arks to house most of us, and set course for the next habitable planet before it is too late?

It might not happen until a 100 years into the future, so if we start now we should definitely have a chance at it.

Sounds crazy right?

But which one of these plans do you think will yield the best long-term results?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

If we were standing here, 10 years ago, discussing this then I would agree. Heck, I said the very same things. However, we now stand closer to full regional warfare in at least ONE region...and possibly world war than I think Earth has been since the close of World War II.

If I manage to keep myself and immediate family alive and healthy through what is to come, I'll count it a success. If I actually find the opportunity after that to help others and perhaps make a difference that saves a few other people, I'll call that the best gift fate and Karma could allow under the circumstances.

I think we're entirely too late and beyond the point of turning back to think this can be stopped anymore though. I hope you and those like you have that positive outlook with in in 5-7 years. It'll be what makes the difference between rising like a Phoenix from the Ashes....or going through another extended Dark Ages period.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by NeoVain

If we were standing here, 10 years ago, discussing this then I would agree. Heck, I said the very same things. However, we now stand closer to full regional warfare in at least ONE region...and possibly world war than I think Earth has been since the close of World War II.

If I manage to keep myself and immediate family alive and healthy through what is to come, I'll count it a success. If I actually find the opportunity after that to help others and perhaps make a difference that saves a few other people, I'll call that the best gift fate and Karma could allow under the circumstances.

I think we're entirely too late and beyond the point of turning back to think this can be stopped anymore though. I hope you and those like you have that positive outlook with in in 5-7 years. It'll be what makes the difference between rising like a Phoenix from the Ashes....or going through another extended Dark Ages period.

I am sad to see you have so little hope of the future. I believe we are all like GOD, in that we are able to shape our own future exactly how we want it, if we can only learn to work together and abandon the fear. We need to start striving for what we REALLY want to happen, instead of for what we FEAR will happen!

Anything less, would be the act of a madman.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's not only Yellowstone that people should be worried about. Super Volcanoes in New Zealand have shown similar signs as well, even with the smell of sulfur in the air after the earthquakes. Something will happen soon.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Puddles
Unless you believe in 2012 i think it is all fear mongering

That's an ignorant statement...."Unless you believe in 2012..."

THIS year is 2012! What does your calendar say?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Puddles
Unless you believe in 2012 i think it is all fear mongering

edit on 13-2-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Well , if it does Happen , Yellowstone is the most Obvious Place .........

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Here is a working stream for old faithful.

Old faithful yellowstone cam

It kinda looks like it´s covered in ash though.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
I was interested until I read that the source was "beforeitisnews".....Sure, it will blow us to Smithereens someday, but it's anyone's guess when.

Well according to what i read a couple years ago, the yellowstone caldera is risin like an inch a day so the magma chamber is refilling with magma, but it's anyone guess as to when it's going to blow. It could go a few years from now, or it could go 100,000 years from now.

This will be one of those happenings where you hope you're dead before it happens.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Excuse my ignorance but what would the devastation be like in WA State if there were an eruption?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by krono00

Yes... think of the entire Western United states devastated...

Everything west of the Mississippi...

For the rest of the world... think along the lines of
something compared to a "Nuclear Winter" or mini Ice age if you prefer...

It would not be a good day to be on Earth...

For the record... I have a good friend in Washington State... So I understand what its like having loved ones around that thing...

But you can't let fear rule your life...

Just live and be happy.

I live in the New Madrid Fault area...
and every since I was a kid "they" told me it could kill us all any minute... lol
I'm still here...

FU New Madrid and Yellowstone

edit on 2/13/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join