It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Supervolcano Will Destroy U.S Much Sooner Than You Think

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Scientists Warn Supervolcano Will Destroy U.S Much Sooner Than You Think

beforeitsnews.com

Some of the world’s smartest geophysicists aren’t sleeping well anymore. Perhaps their dreams are filled with nightmares—if so, it wouldn’t be surprising since what they thought they knew about volcanoes wasn’t quite right. But now they know the truth—the terrifying reality—supervolcanoes are activating and can destroy America at any time. Maybe in 100 years, or maybe as early as next week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pakalertpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Super Volcano Will Threaten Civilization
Yellowstone Volcano - Ready to Destroy
Situation X: Yellowstone Eruption

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I had a search on this topic, all i could find was older threads going back a few years, reason i am posting this now, is apparently scientist, and geophysicists, may have miscalculated on when these sleeping volcanoes might erupt.

And with all the talk about war, and so on, maybe we face a bigger threat from within, and not from the government this time.

Im not going to go down the road of 2012 doomsday theories, but with this new threat thrown into the heap of existing chaos going on at the moment, 2012 doesn't look like a good year.

Forget about tumbling asteroids the size of mountains bombarding Earth…Stop worrying about nuclear war…Shrug off any concerns about the coming Ice Age…Doomsday is probably closer than you think and no matter where you live you probably aren’t safe from the effects of the aftermath. That’s the terrible reality facing scientists around the world as they scramble to revise monitoring systems to better predict the imminent destructive fury of the super volcanoes when they blow.

Reminds me of that film "volcano" when temperatures rose alarmingly, and lakes started to boil.

www.imdb.com...

And changing it is—at an alarming rate. The changes in knowledge that have come rapidly the past few years now have some scientists biting their nails over the Doomsday supervolcano in Yellowstone Park. That volcano has shown all the signs of becoming active: parts of the ground have heated to just under 1,000⁰ F while the earth is bulging from a building lava dome and a lake has completely boiled away.

So im sure people will say this is nothing out of the normal perhaps, but with statements like below, maybe people need to rethink.

Just two years ago many geophysicists assured everyone, including the federal government, that there really wasn’t anything to worry about. Really. Now those same scientists have shut up. If they talk at all to curious reporters they respond only in clipped monotones and then hurry away. What are they worried about?

Now i cant find anything on MSM, im sure its been discussed and speculated many times before, but are things different now with these new findings, how accurate are these new findings??

And can they be backed up with more credible sources, id love to see if possible.

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-2-2012 by Denied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Its true... Yellowstone's going to end it all.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, as I've said before-If it blows we will be the first to know about it!

I get I should care, but why? I can't do a damn thing about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Well, as I've said before-If it blows we will be the first to know about it!

I get I should care, but why? I can't do a damn thing about it.

Star for you

Why care? There's nothing anyone can do. Get used to it and live your lives, that's my opinion.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

Is there a more reputable source than beforeitsnews?

edit on 12-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

I see another steaming turd excreted by none other than Sorcha Faal!

Do these people really think that we're all stupid enough to believe their lies?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I was interested until I read that the source was "beforeitisnews".....Sure, it will blow us to Smithereens someday, but it's anyone's guess when.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Well as i try find more on this, i see recently scientist are able to monitor these super volcanoes much better than before, and this is only recently.

The first paper looked at the Ubehebe Crater (you-bee-HE-bee) at the northern end of California's Death Valley. It's about half a mile wide and 700 feet deep. It was long believed to have been caused by a volcanic eruption sometime in the past 10,000 years or so. However, researchers recently looked at beryllium in the rocks and were able to date the last series of eruptions to just 800 years ago. They say the ingredients necessary for another eruption are all still there.

www.usatoday.com...

Early Warning System for Super Volcano Eruptions Possible

So yes they are having to rethink their calculations on these super volcanoes, but i cant find anything on what was stated at the top of my article from what seems to be unreliable source.

That volcano has shown all the signs of becoming active: parts of the ground have heated to just under 1,000⁰ F while the earth is bulging from a building lava dome and a lake has completely boiled away.

If that statement above can be verified, then we might have a bigger problem than what was thought, however if that statement is untrue then maybe the fact that they can monitor these things better, and the fact that our estimations on time scales have changed, maybe that was exaggerated by the original source posted??

If so i apologise, i didn't realise

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The best way to counter-act volcano smoke is to stop breathing.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's interesting, that we know it will happen, and we already know we can do nothing about it.

Maybe they're putting money on humanity surviving in the southern hemisphere. I believe that will be the least affected area. Well until Taupo blows its top anyway.
edit on 12-2-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I found this, im not interested in the website it is posted, but what is said.

Brilliant Dr. Margaret Mangan California's top U.S.G.S. scientist The U.S. Geological Survey scientist in charge of keeping a wary eye on volcanoes located in California for the U.S. Geological Survey is Margaret Mangan. Recently she told USA Today that "The understanding of the timing of eruptions and the timing of the building up to eruptions is changing." And changing it is—at an alarming rate. The changes in knowledge that have come rapidly the past few years now have some scientists biting their nails over the Doomsday supervolcano in Yellowstone Park. That volcano has shown all the signs of becoming active: parts of the ground have heated to just under 1,000⁰ F while the earth is bulging from a building lava dome and a lake has completely boiled away.

Now she told USA today, can something be found on her, with a better source??
theperiledsea.ning.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
think the original source came from USA Today,based on two research papers,but I think the story has been embellished somewhat.

Two recent papers highlight the shift. One looked at a Death Valley volcano thought to be 10,000 years old and found it last erupted just 800 years ago, and is still an eruption danger. The other found that large caldera volcanoes, such as the one under Crater Lake in Oregon, can recharge in a matter of decades, rather than the thousands of years previously thought. "The understanding of the timing of eruptions and the timing of the building up to eruptions is changing," says Margaret Mangan, the scientist in charge of volcano monitoring in California for the U.S. Geological Survey. "These two papers are very nice examples of good scientific work."

www.usatoday.com...

You beat me too it ^^^^
edit on 12-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
In other news, J C Penney is having a sale on spring linen.

But, seriously, when a chicken steps up to me and tells me the sky IS falling, I'll believe one thing. I met a talking chicken. That is all.

As for earthquakes of catastrophic proportions..... like raining real dogs and cats, then, I will be here. Or, perhaps, there. Either way, if/should it occur, everyone will have a small window of opportunity to prepare.

In other words, no big shakes until there are big quakes.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Oh well, nothing to see here **walks away rather quickly**

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

No worries. Beforeitsnews has a reputaion for yellow journalism. On the very odd rare occaision an article from there can be traced to a more reputable source, but 99.9% of the time it's just bunk and over exaggerated.

Especially this:

The changes in knowledge that have come rapidly the past few years now have some scientists biting their nails over the Doomsday supervolcano in Yellowstone Park. That volcano has shown all the signs of becoming active: parts of the ground have heated to just under 1,000⁰ F while the earth is bulging from a building lava dome and a lake has completely boiled away.

If this was the case, the guys over at the monster yellowstone thread would be all over it like a rash.

edit on 12-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
OP....I wasn't dissing your thread....it is interesting....I just didn't know if you knew beforeitisnews tends to stretch things a bit. I wonder though, what could we do if we knew it would erupt? It scares me to death!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

i know its cool, bad source.....

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

If you are interested in what's happening in Yellowstone I suggest you take a look at the second biggest thread on ATS, the Whats going on at yellowstone? thread, now with 703 pages.

edit on 12/2/2012 by ArMaP because: it's not the biggest, it's the second biggest thread on ATS

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sorry, the hand was quicker than the brain.

edit on 12/2/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join