It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Supervolcano Will Destroy U.S Much Sooner Than You Think

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Denied

If you are interested in what's happening in Yellowstone I suggest you take a look at the biggest thread on ATS, the Whats going on at yellowstone? thread, now with 703 pages.

Thanks for posting the link, i should have put it in my last post when i mentioned the thread.

@Denied and other interested members - Although a very large thread, It's definitely worth the read. The main posters over there know what they are talking about and are always posting new and relevant information.

edit on 12-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: Can't spell

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
Why care? There's nothing anyone can do.

Well SOME scientists wanted to drill a hole to release some pressure in the magma bubble. I nominated them for the Darwin Award a few years back

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
National Geographic has a story on it, I don't know if you see that as more mainstream: news.nationalgeographic.com...
But, on the down side, it's almost exactly a year old.

Scientists think a swelling magma reservoir four to six miles (seven to ten kilometers) below the surface is driving the uplift. Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said.
"At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption," said Smith, who co-authored a paper on the surge published in the December 3, 2010, edition of Geophysical Research Letters."But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned."

But there are also many examples, including the Yellowstone supervolcano, where it appears the ground has risen and fallen for thousands of years without an eruption.

Based on geologic evidence, Yellowstone has probably seen a continuous cycle of inflation and deflation over the past 15,000 years, and the cycle will likely continue, Smith said.

Surveys show, for example, that the caldera rose some 7 inches (18 centimeters) between 1976 and 1984 before dropping back about 5.5 inches (14 centimeters) over the next decade.
I am, of course, not in a position to offer an intelligent comment. I just hoped the article would be useful to someone.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here ya go... watch it live.

If Yellowstone is about to pop its cork you will see it here first. It should give you enough time to bend over and kiss yer butt goodbye

www.nps.gov...

Uh oh,,,,

07/14/2011 Old Faithful Live Streaming Web Video Camera- We are currently having issues with the hardware for the live cam, which occasionally causes loss of the live feed. We are working on this issue and will have it resolved shortly.

www.nps.gov...

PANIC NOW!!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well SOME scientists wanted to drill a hole to release some pressure in the magma bubble. I nominated them for the Darwin Award a few years back

You would hope they do their research before trying something like that. But it might not be such a bad idea if it could remove some of the pressure.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If anyone has ever heard of Shadowrun, its a game where part of the storyline was that elves, dwarves, dragons, and magic all come back to earth in the form of "The Awakening". Right before this happens, American Indians do a Ghost Dance, a magic ceremony which causes massive Volcanoes to erupt in North America, and use their newfound power to reclaim ancestral lands.

If you see groups forming to do a Ghost Dance, I'd say get ready!

edit on 12-2-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Drilling into unstable areas is never a good idea.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yep thanks to skitzspiricy and ArMaP on mentioning that bigger thread, you are right, its probably better to listen to the experts on here that are good at this sort of thing, thanks to zorgon too, and everyone else who has posted on what i thought was a dead thread quite a few posts ago.

i guess the best thing you can take from this thread, is what is at the root of everything here, Deny Ignorance, and we did!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by purplemer

Drilling into unstable areas is never a good idea.

You might be right and a super volcano is no place to experiment. I was thinking about how they use explosives to cause snow avalanches. Same kind of thing but different. We do not have a good understanding of earth science really.

I read something on ATS yesterday with some geophysicists attributing the sky noise with movement deep in the ground. They reckon my might be in for a lot of earthquakes in the next couple of years.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Unless you believe in 2012 i think it is all fear mongering

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Volcanoes Erupt, an Eruption of Yellowstone is NOT a world ending event it is NOT even a United States ending event.

1: Death Zone

The maps we see with the giant psuedo circles do not represent death, it is nothing more than ash fall maximums the area in which the ash fall could still be deadly is about at max 600 miles (I am not trying to dismiss a 600 mile circle of death but given the spareness of population in the area likely half of that even 300 miles could have a 90% evacuation/success percentage, in regards to gases that are toxic and cause death and heavy large rocks that fall from the sky and would destroy structures and thickness of ash that couldn't be survived with ordinary masks and walked out of again this is all a 300 mile radius. I am definitely not saying the loss of Boise Idaho and Billings should be taken lightly but not One major city truly lies within the "Death Zone" and what I describe as the Death Zone is exactly that, the Zone in which you CAN'T escape. Denver Reno spokane these cities will have Earthquakes, but at the distance the shockwave would not be Nuclear in devastation, it again would be an unparalleled disaster BUT the majority of the population would survive and be able to evacuate.

Death Toll several Million, a tragedy for sure but not nearly yet the end of the United States

2: Destruction of the farm belt

Nonsense, short term destruction of the Farm belt yes, no food is coming out "that year" or the Next But Florida and the south east would still be producing citrus, California would be fine as would the North West so would New England, Mexico and Most of Canada, surely it would be a harsh year, a cold harsh year and crops world wide would suffer, but through the worst we could salvage the death of cattle cure and store the meat, there would be enough citrus to avoid scurvy staples like rice even in a cold dark year would be delivered to the USA... we would Starve, but not to Death, some surely yes, but Fish populations would survive even if low as world wide people needed to tap the oceans, ships aren't affected by ash flow, rice, dried meat and small amounts of fish and an orange a month... well for a Mc Donalds feeding frenzy nation that is pretty hellish but you'd live through the food shortage if you didn't get all psycho about it

There are actually positive realities, the US farm belt is depleted of nutrition, a large ash fall would long term replenish the soil, caloric restriction if you have enough vitamins and supplements would reach us for a couple of years isn't all that harmful

People look at figures like 10 feet of ash UP TO 1000 miles away as apocalyptic but realistically we are Humans, we have shovels, much farm land would be cleared and planted again and 3-5 years later there would be food growing in the farm belt 5 years after that it would be bountiful and better than before thanks to the enriched soil, it's not 800,000 years ago Caterpillar is wonderful company

3: Ash inhalation

Particulate Ash, "can't be filtered with an ordinary paint mask" etc, yes true but that will only last in that manner a couple of weeks at most, beyond that 300-400 mile nightmare zone for those in the 100 mile radius and down wind... Stay in your house and don't panic

Look it's not radiation that stays around for hundreds of years in this case the duct tape and store some food works, a person can live a month without food a person CAN absolutely filter ash from water, well water will be 100% there will be rain lots of it actually, you don't have to go out IF YOUR A PREPPER and it doesn't take massive prep, duct tape anti biotics 20 or so 5 gallon bottles of water some cheap air masks to go out side and clear ash from your roof so it doesn't cave in, we are talking prepping in the 1500 dollar range sure many will die in these zones but of their own accord

and sorry environmentalists but one dead Elk that croaked from ash inhalation can feed your family for 8 months if your a typical nuclear family

I don't want to drag this on

I'll say only this, Yeah worst disaster the world has ever seen, Millions and Millions will die but mostly through stupidity

if your beyond that 300 mile mark with every mile your odds of survival become excellent in this scenario IF your just a tiny bit of a survival oriented person, some filters, some duct tape, antibiotics, shovels basic tools a closet full of cans and a good store of fresh water, maybe own a green house for the following year when the sun starts peeking out a small solar panel or 3 so you have even some electricity at times the next year (okay the sun wont be "blotted out 365 days later) not even 4 weeks later, warm clothes, a good air mask for every family member

You'll live, life will slowly start to go on again

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves.

So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations. It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important.
www.defense.gov...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thats crazy! They tried that somewhere else on a mud volcano and it wont stop erupting now. Can't remember where that is though...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Agreed but the USA supplies 1/3 of the worlds food, factor in Canada and Mexico nearly HALF

The people that we call enemy mainly live in places where either by population or climate they need to Import food, China 1.5 Billion mouths to feed, India 1.2, Middle East a desert, Russia much of it's land frozen wasteland, Africa already starving

frankly in many way the rest of the world will fare as poorly or worse than us and for a much longer time, we would be getting food operations started 2 years later, day by day we'd clear ash and get more growing in newly fertilized soil yearly, but we wouldn't be SENDING food any where for a decade or more...

long term it would be worse for whomever used it than us

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm more worried about a nuclear war than a super volcano.
Unless more than one erupts.

A lot of people who believe in 2012 also think that there will be massive volcanic eruptions all over the planet, super volcanoes included.

That would be bad, but survivable.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by darkblade71

Yeah a few years of isolation and misery is nothing compared to Nuclear, "the gift that keeps on giving"

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
going to park my RV at the top of the hill and sip on some lemonade...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yellowstone is about due for a large erruption. However, scientists still cant agree on whether it will be a large explosion even of the whole caldera or a simple, safe release of pressure.

Safe to say, if the caldera goes, it will blot out the sun for a while and we will enter a nice cold age for a while.

Pure speculation though.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkblade71
reply to post by zorgon

Thats crazy! They tried that somewhere else on a mud volcano and it wont stop erupting now. Can't remember where that is though...

Not sure if they drilled into it, but this mud volcano is predicted to spew for another 20+ years.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

You can move away from it, or plan it for your descendent's...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join