It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Proposed Amendment Would Let Foreign-borns Become President of the US.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Rep. Dana Rohrbacher, has proposed a measure to let foreign-born people to become president of the US. This measure is similar to the one proposed by Sen. Orrin Hatch last year. Both of the representatives claim that they were not thinking on Austrian born Arnold Schwarzenegger when they presented their proposals.

Amendment to let foreign-born be president
"It is time that we amend the Constitution to remove an archaic provision that was originally designed to keep the nobility of foreign countries from meddling in American democracy," Rohrbacher said in a release. "If an immigrant has demonstrated his commitment to America and is truly qualified as a leader, then there is no good reason to bar him from seeking the highest office in the land."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article continues stating what the US Constitution says about this matter.

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United State at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible for the Office of the President; ..."

Related Links
Schwarzenegger: Let foreign-born seek White House

2 proposals in Congress would let foreign-born become president Constitutional amendments unlikely to pass

Outsiders agog at pick of voters Utah senator wants amendment to let foreign-born be president

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Boy I hope not. I like the Governator and voted for him, but the constitution is far too an important document to be ammended simply because a foreign born politician is popular at this time.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I personally have no problem with the idea, as most of our ancestors had foreign decent anyways(expect for the Native Americans ofcourse). It seems to me as long as the person has shown to upstanding U.S. citizen, then what is the problem with him running for office? Why should we bar these people from ever holding such a position? I am sure some will argue that it might be possible for terrorist to come into power... but the man who is office right now isn't that far from it.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Rant brought this up awhile ago (Feb. 24th, 2004)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And i'll repeat what I said there.

Not that i have anything against any foreigner, but that clause is in the Constitution to keep America, American.

To prevent some popular foreign national from taking over this country via elections.

Hmmm.........

*Looks at Arnie pic and ponders his goals*

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Why do they keep bringing this up?

It's pretty obvious it's a nod to Arnold as well as another bid for immigrant voters...but come on!

If a Democrat proposed this, heads would be rolling in the streets. Oh they want to put Chirac and Kofi in charge...

Anyone here read Left Behind? This is how the anti-Christ comes to power.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yeah, she really wasn't thinking of Arnold... right. Politicians are all just whores who do favors for other people's money.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It seems that every single thing that Orin Hatch has a hand in smells like cow feces for some reason. When ever theres someone there cursading against p2p, he is near, and if i remember correctly hes also went to war against violent vidoegames too.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have no problem with it either but if they expect me to believe that the impetus for this wasn't due to Arnie then I say phooey.

Besides, this should irritate racists and Aryan Nation brothers like nothing else, I'm all for that!

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I wonder if this means we'll have a president from Israel sometime in the future. I don't know about Arnie being Pres.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
DO NOT CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION
I do not like the idea of letting Naturalized Citizens run for President. I also am not in favor of allowing them in the Line Of Succession for the Position. They may be loyal citizens, but with close relatives in another country I am concerned. Just whose welfare and safety will be more important? In these days of Terrorists and "Sleeper Cells" can we afford to take a chance?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not a good idea. Whatever happened to the notion--if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That requirement for Presidnecy is ageless and doesn't need any PC manipulation to update our options.
And, even if this was discussed before, having this bill come up certainly puts this topic back in our headlines.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
how many times can a party change or try to change the constitution before people will wake up? patriot act, doma, foreign born president proposals. . . all on one administration's watch. these people don't deserve to administrate a government that they intend to manipulate for their own idealogies. government should be looking at what will keep our country strong for the next 1000 years, not what will get their party in office less than 4 years away or serves their own selfish causes.
daved

btw, i am morally conservative and politically liberal. therefore, i have no good representation in government. i shall continue to search though.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
My belief is that America should be run by people who we can be fairly confident have their first loyalty to America.
Although I do not discriminate against people just because of where they were born, I believe that there is a certain conflict of interest which precludes them from being safe choices for president.

What if France allowed this? Don't you think that Jeb Bush would arrange an oil crisis through the House of Saud and come in with a plan to reconcile with America and fix things by combining influence? Next thing you know France would be an American puppet.

Even short of the fear of corruption (which is a problem even now, since Bush has first loyalty to Skull and Bones), we need candidates who represent our culture- who think and address issues in a way we are familiar and comfortable with. Europeans aren't so warlike these days. A European candidate could carry the election and fail to meet our expectations horribly in the event that a war became a possible necessity. What if Jacques Chirac was our president and OPEC said they're gonna embargo us into poverty, no negotiations possible. Bush would invade... I'm guessing Chirac would sit and choke on it.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So, if a person were to be born in Mexico to parents who are citizens of Mexico and lived there for the first six years of his life, then moved here legally with his parents eventually attended American schools and after a few years became a full fledged naturalized citizen... that person has NO chance of ever becoming President?

Of most people that I know, those who love this country the most are naturalized citizens. They have an appreciation for this country that most natural-born citizens do not possess. Before anyone gets mad at me... I'm a natural-born citizen.

The only reason that I can agree to shoot this idea down is... changing the Constitution IS a very bad idea. That could seriously open the door for some very nasty things.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This seems to be sticky wicket. I agree that the legal citizen, regardless of country of origin, should have equal rights. I also think that ammendments should be carefully considered before any changes are made to the Constitution. I also think that this could open the door to some really nasty things. How about a sleeper in the white house?
I think Arnold needs to be happy that he was elected to anything. It still makes me chuckle.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I will continue to oppose this notion until a Native American makes either prez or vice-prez. In it's current form it will give the nations a chance to take the land back and show the world it's original face. Additionally people who are born here and make the minimum age req have been in this country for quite some time. 45 years. Think about it. A 6 year naturalization is miniscule in comparision. Additionally modifing any part of the constitution to work against Americans is unbelievably horrific. Adding additional civil liberties however are a welcome change as long as it does not interfere with the liberties of others.

This doesn't mean there are not loopholes existing though.
consider this: McCain was born in Panama. He ran for Prez in 2000.

[edit on 17-9-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If one is a citizen, then they should be a citizen. A citizen has a right to run the country. If you do not want someone to run the country, then do not make them a citizen. simple solution.....

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Looks like the movie 'Demolition Man' is going to come true.
Arnie will be president and everyone will be walking around in a higly regulated world with implants in their hands.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Our Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution why should we change it? It was written to protect our country. By changing it we are opening a can of worms and leaving our country vulnerable. The law was written hundreds of years ago to prevent this very reason. I agree with DontTreadonMe, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Orrin Hatch probably will get it gone, I hear he is good on his knees!!!!

He's probably An Arnie groupie.

I saw let a former president run for a 3rd term also,now that would be an election now!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join