It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Kicking Cop Reinstated With Backpay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Link

A police officer who was fired after being filmed repeatedly kicking his State Highway Patrol dog in September of 2007 is being reinstated – with full back pay. The North Carolina Court of Appeals agreed with prior State Personnel Commission and trial court rulings that Sgt. Charles Jones was unfairly dismissed, and ruled that he should be reinstated with back pay.

The 12-year veteran of the patrol can be seen in the video below kicking Ricoh repeatedly after lynching him. Ricoh hangs by his leash, with only his hind legs touching the ground as Jones kicks him at least five times, each time seemingly harder than the next.

Jack O’Hale, Jones’ lawyer, said that Ricoh was simply being ‘disciplined’ in the manner in which Jones had been trained. “These Highway Patrol canines are not house pets,” O’Hale said. “They are living, breathing weapons with teeth.”

Ah, so the cop did nothing wrong because this is how they are trained, eh? What a load of bull.

And worse yet is this pig gets reinstated with backpay, as if he did nothing wrong. Because obviously tying a dog to a wall and then repeatedly kicking it is totally right. If anyone other than a cop did this, especially on video, then they would be arrested for animal cruelty.

I wonder if this cop was disciplined in the same manner, considering that he isn't one of them house civilians because he carries a gun

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well there's a hell of a surprise... film of someone abusing an animal, but it's a cop, so the cops investigate and son of a gun, the cop engaged in no wrong behavior.

I'm shocked shocked.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

So, when I kick a police dog, I shouldn't be punished?

Yeah right. I'm so sick of the piggly wiggly system we call the DOJ.

And yes, that goes for ALL cops. You are just as bad as the bad apples since you let the bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

edit on 9-2-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I still can't grasp how the courts allow this man back , and give him backpay.

Is someone pulling ranks here ? there is no reason this man should be back on the police force. How did he make 13 years ? I guess after a while you have alot of "power" in your back pocket. Tax payers get stuck with the bill.

Unacceptable!

“These Highway Patrol canines are not house pets,” O’Hale said. “They are living, breathing weapons with teeth.”

Oh? i thought they were officers just like the police , if you were to hit one , while on duty , you could get a felon on you if they wanted.

But i guess any criminal who beats one of these dogs to fend for him self can , just reference this story to the judge , when asked about animal cruetly right , on a police dog right?

what a joke system. Would love to meet the judge who approved this shinanagons.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well, better he vents in aggression by kicking some dog than attacking some civilians.
It's just a dog, get over it people. Firing him for this is just silly

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
It's just a dog, get over it people. Firing him for this is just silly

So when I shoot that police dog that is about to attack me...I can use the same excuse? "It's just a dog"

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I may have missed it, but I didn't see where anyone said the officer's behavior was OK. My understanding from the article was that his dismissal was invalid because it was done by the Governor's office, outside of the established disciplinary system, and without standard protections for the officer.

I can understand the court's position on that issue. I wonder about the performance of the disciplinary board.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The cops behavior aside I always wondered who the hell would go back to a job they were fired from even if a court ruled for it?

Youve got to know everyone of your coworkers is going to hate your guts day in and day out.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
Oh? i thought they were officers just like the police , if you were to hit one , while on duty , you could get a felon on you if they wanted.

But i guess any criminal who beats one of these dogs to fend for him self can , just reference this story to the judge , when asked about animal cruetly right , on a police dog right?

what a joke system. Would love to meet the judge who approved this shinanagons.

Really good point.

That's exactly what I'm going to say if I ever get attacked by a police dog. Anything designed to attack me, especially a "living weapon", is not going to rip me to shreds without me gouging its eyes out in the process.

But of course this is the establishment we are talking about. Rule of Law means little in the US anymore and such decisions would not be allowed to be used against the enforcers who have taken the law into their own hands.

thisguyrighthere-
The cops behavior aside I always wondered who the hell would go back to a job they were fired from even if a court ruled for it?

Youve got to know everyone of your coworkers is going to hate your guts day in and day out.

I just can't get past the "backpay" part. Re-hiring? That's fair if he gets deployed somewhere away from dogs. However, getting paid for your time being fired/suspended is f*cking bullsh*t if I do say so. This happens way too much with cops. Why not just give them some tax-funded plane tickets to the Bahamas too, since you're paying them FOR TIME SUSPENDED FROM THEIR WORK AS PART OF PUNISHMENT FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

...Full backpay for this pig, now that's a crime if I ever saw one.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join