It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew

If gay marriage is legalized in Texas, how many Mexicans are going to magically become gay to gain citizenship through false gay marriages?

I would venture not many once they realize that being married to a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident of the US does not guarantee a foreign national legal admission to the US, let alone the benefits of citizenship. A US Citizen (or Lawful Permanent Resident of the US) does not have a "Right" to live within the US with their spouse.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well, my last post was removed due to manners (and it should have been) I apologize to the mods for that, and to anyone else I may have offended with the exception of the person it was directed at. I will try to repost my points and this time leave out the extra commentary.

First of all, the OP equates gay marriage to marrying dogs, computers, etc... showing clearly that they don't even regard gays as people, but then goes on to say that they are not anti gay, and even support gay rights. That is hypocrisy to the fullest, and you have the nerve to in every other post call others hypocrites. I mean... really?

You say that gays are forcing their beliefs on others, but what is your basis for that claim? I have not heard one single gay person say that they think only gays should be able to marry, or that all people should have to be gay. What exactly are they forcing on anyone? In fact it is you who are wanting to force your own personal beliefs on them by saying that they should not be able to be "married" Their marriage does not affect you in any way, yet if we all followed your narrow views then it would affect them so who is forcing their beliefs on who here? (That is a rhetorical question, the answer is obvious to anyone with basic motor skills and at least minimal brain function)

As far as the sanctity of marriage goes, and who should have the right to marry lets look at the article that you used in the OP. 1 of 14 marriages between gay couples has ended. That is a divorce rate of about 7% Now if I am not mistaken the divorce rate in the U.S. in 2011 was somewhere in the 50% range. So going by the your own data I would say that is the gay community that is actually bringing back some of the sanctity to marriage vows.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

No real answer to what ?

What is the question?

Looked to me like you made a statment. Gave your opinion.

That was just my reaction. If you have an actual question go ahead and ask and I will try to answer it.

A logical reason why states should have marriage rights. That is the question. A real logical reason.

States need rights for things that affect their geographic location. That makes sense.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq1

Well, my last post was removed due to manners (and it should have been) I apologize to the mods for that, and to anyone else I may have offended with the exception of the person it was directed at.

I stopped reading your post at this point.

You're just a rude, ignorant person and I don't care what your opinion is.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

A logical reason why states should have marriage rights. That is the question. A real logical reason.

States need rights for things that affect their geographic location. That makes sense.

I already answered this question. Pg. 26 of this thread I replied to your post and wrote

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Marriage Licenses .... the part that deals with the whole Government part are issued by individual cities and States.

That's one good reason. If you go and get married you don't ever have to send in an application to the Federal Government.

en.wikipedia.org...

A marriage license (American English) or marriage licence (British English) is a document issued, either by a church or state authority, authorizing a couple to marry. The procedure for obtaining a license varies between countries and has changed over time. Marriage licenses began to be issued in the Middle Ages, to permit a marriage which would otherwise be illegal (for instance, if the necessary period of notice for the marriage had not been given).
Today, they are a legal requirement in some jurisdictions and may also serve as the record of the marriage itself, if signed by the couple and witnessed.

States are and have always been the authority that issues marriage licenses.

I also provided the current Federal Law

Defense of Marriage Act

The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) (Pub.L. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419, enacted September 21, 1996, 1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C) is a United States federal law that defines marriage as the legal union of one man and one woman. The law passed both houses of Congress by large majorities and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996.
Under the law, no U.S. state or other political subdivision of the U.S. may be required to recognize as a marriage a same-sex relationship considered a marriage in another state.

Section 2. Powers reserved to the states No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship.

That seems like a good reason to me. If you don't like, by all means gather up your friends and your rainbow flags and go protest in Washington DC on the steps of the Capitol building.

Good luck with that.

edit on 15-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: add link

edit on 15-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: add text

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I already answered this question. Pg. 26 of this thread I replied to your post and wrote

That does not answer the question.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It certainly does answer the question. IT"S THE LAW

Again, don't complain to me that you don't like the answer.

I didn't write the law, but I certainly agree with it and so did congress, the POTUS and the majority of the American public.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Marriage Licenses .... the part that deals with the whole Government part are issued by individual cities and States.

That's one good reason. If you go and get married you don't ever have to send in an application to the Federal Government.

States are and have always been the authority that issues marriage licenses.

I also provided the current Federal Law

And "Free Men" referred to White Male Property owners.

There is ZERO real logical reason for individual states to determine marriage rights.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It certainly does answer the question. IT"S THE LAW

I did not ask about law.

I asked for a Real Logical Reason why states should determine marriage rights.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There is ZERO real logical reason for individual states to determine marriage rights.

This is just your opinion and I disagree.

In fact there is ZERO reason the Federal Government should take over the issuing of marriage licenses.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Can Americans currently claim same sex spouse on IRS tax form as Married Filing Jointly?

Can " " " on State tax form " " " ?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

This recent case with Prop 8 being overturned in California may be the case that goes to the U.S. Supreme Court:

The decision, which came Tuesday morning in San Francisco, upholds a federal district court decision striking down the law. The decision by a three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit all but ensures that the issue of gay marriage is headed for the U.S. Supreme Court.

www.pri.org...

Of course, there's no guarantee that the S.C. will agree to hear the case. I read somewhere that they only accept 1% of the cases that make it to them. It just depends on how pertinent they feel it is for the whole country.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

This is just your opinion and I disagree.

In fact there is ZERO reason the Federal Government should take over the issuing of marriage licenses.

Tell me why.

Don't post more stuff that is not relevant to the direct question.

I did not ask about issuing a license or procedures. I asked why states determine Marriage Rights.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
Can Americans currently claim same sex spouse on IRS tax form as Married Filing Jointly?

Can " " " on State tax form " " " ?

As far as I know they can not claim Federal.

And only those in states with legalized same gender marriage can claim state.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

AFAIK, the Federal Government recognizes the power of the State to issue marriage licenses.

So yes in 7 States, same sex marriages are legally allowed to claim their spouse on both Federal and State tax forms.

EDIT:

Anne is correct, DOMA prevents the Federal Government from recognizing same sex couples.

They can not file jointly on IRS tax forms.

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 15-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: add link

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

The laughy face is childish and annoying. We are speaking of human beings here.

Not according to Mathias...he clearly equals gays with animals

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Ya know what gets me?

These States Rights "people". If marriage rights are determined by states. What is DOMA?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Majiq1

Well, my last post was removed due to manners (and it should have been) I apologize to the mods for that, and to anyone else I may have offended with the exception of the person it was directed at.

I stopped reading your post at this point.

You're just a rude, ignorant person and I don't care what your opinion is.

Way to be calling the kettle black.

Majiq1 said:

First of all, the OP equates gay marriage to marrying dogs, computers, etc... showing clearly that they don't even regard gays as people, but then goes on to say that they are not anti gay, and even support gay rights. That is hypocrisy to the fullest, and you have the nerve to in every other post call others hypocrites. I mean... really?

edit on 15-2-2012 by knoledgeispower because: to add name of person quote came from

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
reply to post by MrXYZ

Ya know what gets me?

These States Rights "people". If marriage rights are determined by states. What is DOMA?

It simply means they're selective when it comes to facts if those facts don't agree with their irrational beliefs...even at the cost of throwing human decency, morality, and ethics over board.

Luckily, times are changing and bigots like that are now the minority.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I thought this list was interesting. Apparently there are 7 States that allow same sex couples to be "married". There are 8 States that allow civil union/domestic partnership. Also Washington DC allows same sex "marriage".

Total of 15 States not including DC that have laws allowing same sex couples marriage or civil unions.

www.usatoday.com...

States that allow same-sex marriages, domestic partnerships or civil unions:

State Type of partnership Allows joint filing of state tax return

California Civil union/
domestic partnership Yes

Connecticut Marriage Yes

Delaware Civil union/
domestic partnership Yes

District Marriage Yes
of Columbia

Hawaii Civil union/ No
domestic partnership