It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimps on prozac commit "suicide" - marine foodchain endangered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
You are probably right. I can think of possibilities why but who knows. Maybe its the additives in food, or the rat race or just media broadcasting it more or people who are just having a blue day and are not really depressed being prescribed medication. Or just more people equaling more people to suffer from mental illness

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Mother Earth will cleanse herself and make us pay in time.

2nd

U

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The shrimps aren't committing "suicide". They are just chillin with a good buzz and can't get away from it. Just think how bad it would be if there were no laws saying what could be dumped in the ocean. And humans have no impact on the environment yeah right.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
hahahahaaaaa funnnny sh*t

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Thats what i was thinking. So where is the prozac coming from?
2nd

or is it even prosac. if we look at what has happened to the sea that provides enough tons of harmful waste the one thing that practically jumps out at you is the gulph spill and chems they used on that.

Yes.

To mimic conditions in the wild, scientists exposed the estuary-dwelling shrimp Echinogammarus marinus to the antidepressant fluoxetine at levels detected in average sewage-treatment waste. Fluoxetine is the key ingredient in the drugs Prozac and Sarafem. NationalGeographics

reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I know I'm repeating myself but dont forget its also used on the soldiers so they dont get depressed by the many situations they face.

I can only imagine that it's no fun when your constantly confronted with the ugly facts of war, like anger, blown off limbs sometime from children or Your under bombardment.

I'm not certain it's a good idea to supress this kind of depression with medecine especially not when you'r at war, it's not the same problem as those who need it medical. Many older civilizations druged themself before warsituations, like the viking berzerkers used psychedelic like psilocybin mushrooms, but modern day warfare is not about who is the most insane axeswinger anymore.

Is it because you become a more coldblooded killer not thinking about the concequences before you pull the trigger?

edit on 6-2-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

well they could have exposed them to the levels of sewage waste water, but that doesn't explain how those levels could be possible once diluted by the 343 quintillion gallons of sea water (yes quintillion is real) also known as 343 billion billion gallons. i guess if they measured the levels right at the point the rivers enter the ocean it could be higher, but i just don't see how it could be nearly enough to become an ecological problem for sea life.

giving soldiers anti depressants cannot end well. taking a normal brain chemistry and exposing it to long term SSRI's is just asking for life long problems for those in service.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob
I can't help but sit back and reflect for a moment on the absurdity of anti-depressents. To understand first of all you need to know why people get depressed in the first place. It's usually because something isn't going well in a persons life, they're not happy, or whatever it may be. It can all be traced back to an individual's environment and how it effects them psychologically. So in my opinion if you want to treat depression you have to change that persons environment, not give them a magic pill. This is perhaps the biggest fraud ever, and why was this done you ask? In the name of PROFIT. All problems we face today can be traced back to the the monetary system, capitalism, and the concept of money, I kid you not, probably just about every single one of them.
edit on 6-2-2012 by RadioactiveRob because: (no reason given)

although that can be true in short term cases, chronic depression due to brain chemical imbalances are not a mere nuisance, they are very real and you can't just smile them away.

Wikipedia says that chemical imbalances are just a theory.

Chemical imbalance is one hypothesis about the cause of mental illness. Other causes that are debated include psychological and social causes.

And then it says this

According to critics, the chemical imbalance hypothesis has been overpromoted and continues to be advanced as factual by pharmaceutical companies. They believe the general population and many journalists have accepted this hypothesis into their understanding of mental illness uncritically.[11] They have pointed to the lack of an established chemical balance (without which, they claim, the notion of an "imbalance" is meaningless). Certain pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer continue to promote drugs like Zoloft with advertisements asserting that mental illness may be due to chemical imbalances in the brain, and that their drugs work to "correct" this imbalance.[12] Most academics believe that the advertisements are oversimplified and don't fully explain what is happening.[13]

I for one agree, it is my firm opinion all depression is caused by a deficiency in a person's life or environment. People don't get their emotional needs met and they get depressed, thing's happen that shouldn't happen they get depressed, etc. That's just common sense man. Big Pharma has one goal and one goal only, to turn a profit, they will tell you any crap they can to make you believe you need their pills. You see, it's hard to trust people in a monetary system, and when some big company gives you information that oh just happens to benefit them, like telling you that you have a chemical imbalance in your brain and you need their pills, thats a red flag right there! Don't be so naive, it all comes back to money.
edit on 6-2-2012 by RadioactiveRob because: (no reason given)

while i agree wholeheartedly about big pharma being sinister and corrupt as hell, there is much we don't know about the brain. i was raised by great parents and remember seeing my mother get anxiety attacks from nowhere for no reason. i have these same things among others. my son was raised with all the love and caring two people could ever give him and he began having nightmares at age 4 for no apparent reason, they continue to this day along with panic attacks and feeling suicidal by the 8th grade. if something can go from mother, to son, to grandson, it's not make believe nor from environmental deficiencies, at least not in our case.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I have witnessed doctors trying very hard to push antidepressants on their patients, especially after the pharmaceutical rep has just been in to see them.

I've seen this happen so many times over the years, I just can't deny there is some profit motivation behind it. Personally, I'm deathly allergic to anti-depressants, so they don't even try. One of those drugs almost killed me once and once was enough!

OP, thank you for an enlightening thread. So many people don't know about this.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
They're aren't committing suicide, they are numbed from a neurological numbing medication.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow. Humanity is just a vile scourge that has been unleashed on this planet. We do not fit in and we continually disrupt the natural cycle

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What hypocrisy! Big pharma can alter the brain chemistry of shrimp but when I want to alter my own brain chemistry there's a problem. Just part of the plan to medicate the masses and keep them placated and stupid.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
There are no dip tests to confirm mental illness, it doesn't show up on an x ray or even MRI scan as such, no blood test indicates depression etc. When I started training as a psych. nurse 30 odd years ago, I read the textbooks and started on the wards. The people I came across did not fit into what I had read, many would be diagnosed as schizophrenic by one doctor, bipolar by the next - one thing I'm sure of - if you look for signs of 'psychotic' behaviour you will most likely see it.

The DCM handbook, with a list of 'signs and symptoms' to help doctors 'diagnose' mental illness. The first edition was quite flimsy, it's now a thick book. There are so many 'conditions' in there with various percentages of population affected that must make 'normal' people very much in the minority. Finding/developing drugs to control these conditions is big, big money - but only if you can slap a patent on it.

The drug companies have got it wrong so many times and I know how they market these drugs - I've been to the lunches etc they put on to promote them. Each time its 'really works/no side effects'. Each time it isn't!

When I first got on the net I put 'anti-pschiatry. in the browser - to find that my suspicions of something very wrong were shared by many others. My suspicions have been a long time in the making - working in the field of mental disease.

We are quite horrified at how people with symptoms of mental disease have been treated in the past. I get the feeling that future generations may feel the same about us

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

while i agree wholeheartedly about big pharma being sinister and corrupt as hell, there is much we don't know about the brain. i was raised by great parents and remember seeing my mother get anxiety attacks from nowhere for no reason. i have these same things among others. my son was raised with all the love and caring two people could ever give him and he began having nightmares at age 4 for no apparent reason, they continue to this day along with panic attacks and feeling suicidal by the 8th grade. if something can go from mother, to son, to grandson, it's not make believe nor from environmental deficiencies, at least not in our case.

I have these, my father has these, his mother has these, and her mother had them.

So I'm 4th generation mood disorder? That I know of. And we're talking about at least one generation that was never exposed to all this stuff. She lived on a farm her whole life, in the middle of nowhere, before pesticides came into common use, drinking well water.

So what then?

I think it is probably a lot like the ADD thing. I have seen some real space cadets - I tried to tutor one once. But for every genuine case of ADD, depression, anxiety, whatever - there might be 100 more that don't need meds at all.

I think the biggest problem is that GPs should NOT be allowed to prescribe mood-altering drugs, under any circumstances. They don't monitor the patients, they don't understand the drugs on even a basic level, and most of them have no idea about dosing. It's insanity that they are allowed to prescribe these. Every patient who wants or needs psychiatric medication should be seen by a psychiatrist & monitored by at least a psychologist.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I have a big problem with this thread - or rather the science.

Shrimp in the Gulf and other areas are Not exposed to

"the antidepressant fluoxetine at levels detected in average sewage-treatment waste"

This would assume that these waters also have the equivalent of these chemicals in the open Gulf waters. That's just Not gonna happen with such a large body of water.

Faulty science making faulty conclusions. This science means absolutely Nothing for our shrimp population.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I too believe this enthusiasm shown by dr's is money driven. Here in the UK, the number of people I know who've been prescribed Prozac for no good reason is scary. GP's seem to be actively promoting it, willy-nilly.

This shows some pretty disturbing statistics linking Prozac to acts of violence...

ssristories.com...

My husband's diabetic, and he regularly has to complete GP's questionaires re his state of health. He's quite incredulous that there are always questions on them asking, not whether he feel depressed (which he doesn't), but instead asking him to quantify how depressed he is, like it's a foregone conclusion that he will be to some extent.

Having suffered migraines coinciding with my menstrual cycle ever since I had my daughter, 18 years ago, I've visited my dr several times. Each time, their main concern seems to be whether I feel depressed. I've repeatedly told them no, I'm not prone to depression.

Initially, I was sent to the hospital for some blood tests, as a result of which the dr gave me a prescription. He announced that the test results showed it wasn't the menopause, as I'd plenty of estrogen, and gave me a prescription. He looked like a rabbit in a car headlight when I pointed out that he'd only told me what wasn't the cause of the migraines, whereas I'd have quite liked to know what was the cause. He stammered, and seemed at a loss for a reply.

Eventually, he regained his composure and decided it was probably a deficiency of some other hormone - maybe progesterone.

When I got home, I checked the medication he'd prescribed on the internet, and discovered it to be beta-blockers. Failing to see how this might correct a possible progesterone deficiency, and disliking the long list of negative side-effects, I binned it.

A few years later, I went back to the GP's, hoping to persuade him to identify the cause of the migraines. He probed again as to just how depressed I was, and when I advised him, "Not at all", sent me away with another prescription. I can't remember the name of the drugs, but I Googled them, and found them to be strongly contraindicated for people with high blood-pressure. Funnily enough, he'd just determined at the same consultation that I had high blood pressure, so I filed the prescription carefully in the bin.

I recently tried my luck for the 3rd time in 18 years. He wanted to know if the migraines were making me depressed. I told him they don't. He kept rephrasing the question, and I eventually said, I don't get depressed, but the sleeplessness they cause makes me exhausted and bad-tempered. He prescribed Fluoxetine, which I'd never heard of. When I looked it up and found it to be bloody Prozac, I was furious.

Perhaps the dullard thinks he can sufficiently dope me up with this stuff that I won't notice his ineptitude.

I won't bother going again.

A close friend was put on Prozac when she was feeling down about splitting up with her husband. As soon as she started taking them, her personality seemed to change, and she began acting like a nutter. She found it very hard to give them up. She only succeeded when she started a relationship with another man who she later married.

Does it occur to anybody that it's natural to feel sadness sometimes? It's appropriate to feel grief in some circumstances, and not appropriate to take medication to stop or dull it. It's called life!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's already been pointed out a few time that this is not a problem affection the entire oceans. But the concentrations is high enough to do damage near the sewers from the cities. The problem with prozac-traces is occuring near the shores close to those cities. The problem for the schrimp is that they breed on low water (near shores) where the concentration of prozac is highest. I guess we got many beaches not affected by medical traces, so I agree the headline may be a little off. (Not repeating this again)

reply to post by Toffeeapple & Psychoparrot

Good posts, it seams like those doctors use prozac as a wondercure to remove your toughts from the real issue. After reading yours and other stories in the thread I tend to agree with the people who suspect that it's "big money" that push som agenda here. It is incredible how "dumb" some doctors become when You start asking questions.

It is not natural to be depressed, but I'm certain the increase in depression got two rootcauses.
1. The growing beaurocracy that's slowly destroyin real peoples lifes and economy.
2. The constant attack our body is under from radiation, poisons and various environmental toxins. I wouldnt be supprised if some of these is bending our mood.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join