It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimps on prozac commit "suicide" - marine foodchain endangered

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico isn't the only threat to crustaceans.

Experts say that remnants of antidepressant drugs flushed into waterways worldwide are altering shrimp behavior and making them easier prey. Scientists found shrimps were five times more likely to swim toward the light instead of away from it, making them more likely to be eaten by fish or birds.

The change in behavior could potentially devastate the shrimp population, shrimps is importent in the foodchain so a "shrimp genocide" would hurt a wide range of animals.

To mimic conditions in the wild, scientists exposed the estuary-dwelling shrimp Echinogammarus marinus to the antidepressant fluoxetine at levels detected in average sewage-treatment waste. Fluoxetine is the key ingredient in the drugs Prozac and Sarafem.

Shrimp normally gravitate toward safe, dark corners. But when exposed to fluoxetine, the animals were five times more likely to swim toward a bright region of water, the team discovered.

"This behavior makes them much more likely to be eaten by a predator, such as a fish or bird," said study co-author Alex Ford, a biologist at U.K.'s University of Portsmouth.

"We focused on shrimp because they are common and important in the food chain, but serotonin is also linked to behavioral changes in other species, including fish," Ford said.

“Crustaceans are crucial to the food chain. And if shrimps’ natural behavior is being changed because of antidepressant levels in the sea, this could seriously upset the natural balance of the ecosystem,” lead researcher Alex Ford said in a university

Antidepressant use is rising rapidly—more than 10 percent of U.S. citizens, or about 27 million people, used the drugs in 2005, according to a 2009 paper in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

Ford believes that many other common prescription drugs—such as antiinflammatory drugs and painkillers—could also be causing problems for aquatic life.

Traces of those drugs end up in human waste, which then gets flushed down the toilet. Wastewater treatment facilities haven't traditionally tested for pharmaceuticals and therefore haven't been able to remove all drug compounds before releasing wastewater into rivers and oceans.

That's how drugs end up being fed to shrimp

NationalGeographics
news.discovery

edit on 6-2-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Wait...shrimp on prozac are intentionally offing themselves? And we're feeding this drug to millions of citizens worldwide?

Excuse me for a minute... :bnghd:
edit on CMondayam151524f24America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Mimir

Wait...shrimp on prozac are intentionally offing themselves? And we're feeding this to millions of citizens worldwide?

edit on CMondayam414123f23America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

actually they're too laid back and think hey, you look like a friend. :p

seriously one day it is my hope that someone will record what we have done, in an easy to read and understand format, step by step how we ended up creating mankind's demise.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Don't worry LBE,we are leaving a record of our demise in the very earth we walk upon,in the rocks,the ice,the seas and lakes.
All the chemical crap we leave behind is going nowhere.
That record will be there for the next species to see when they find out about chemical analysis and geology.
Like today,we can look at ice cores or earth samples from the past and see what happened back then.

BTW-Isn't suicide on of the "side effects" of prozac use?I thought it was...whos clever idea was it to give that crap to depressed people?
You can't make this crap up..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Yes it is used by millions of citizens and even used in the US military. Up to 70% of the soldiers in Afghanistan use prozac and 12% used to take it in Iraq so the use of antidepressives is at an increase in the military. The increase in depression also shows in the statistics for veterans who commit suicide.

Prozac, the bestselling antidepressant taken by 40 million people worldwide Guardian

edit on 6-2-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately we cannot forsee every possible outcome of every possible situation. The best we can do is promptly address problems such as this when they arise. Btw Starchild23, your post with the well, can't exactly call it a smiley, had me cracking up for a full 5 min.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Don't worry LBE,we are leaving a record of our demise in the very earth we walk upon,in the rocks,the ice,the seas and lakes.
All the chemical crap we leave behind is going nowhere.
That record will be there for the next species to see when they find out about chemical analysis and geology.
Like today,we can look at ice cores or earth samples from the past and see what happened back then.

BTW-Isn't suicide on of the "side effects" of prozac use?I thought it was...whos clever idea was it to give that crap to depressed people?
You can't make this crap up..

indeed they will be, i just don't want people to argue over how to read the writing on the wall.

prozac is an SSRI and works for those who have this chemical imbalance in the brain. i myself take paxel and it works well for me along with xanax when needed. i have OCD and without them life sucks for me. they don't work for everyone but many they do help like myself.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Mimir

Wait...shrimp on prozac are intentionally offing themselves? And we're feeding this drug to millions of citizens worldwide?

edit on CMondayam151524f24America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

You've only JUST heard about that ?

Humans dont like psychedelics that have had all the good things removed.. especially taking day after day. Imagine taking acid every single day.. same thing.. they just removed the euphoria.

you go mental.

Seriously mental.

thats new to you?? O.o
edit on 6-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I like to think we are a sane species. Unfortunately, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

poor shrimp

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

reply to post by mainidh

I like to think we are a sane species. Unfortunately, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Nothing about us is sane mate..

we're a box set of random. we just hope that what we think is normal continues to be attractive. otherwise, we're all bear grills.. eating cave dirt.

:/

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Prozac and other SSRI's are not intended to provide "euphoria". They are a series of medications that cause a reuptake inhibitor to serotonin, consequently causing your brain to produce more, which a depressed person needs. Getting "high" is not the point. Becoming less depressed, is.
On Topic: My town has a day every few months where you can go to drop off points to rid yourself of old medications, instead of flushing them into the water supply (chemicals to treat water have no effect on some of these chemicals), or rather than contaminating the landfill soil by throwing them in the garbage.

It's a good plan if only people would follow it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It suprises me that you chose to base your thread on shrimp

I dont think i will be ever to figure that one out in a million years but hey, i am pleased that you posted because i can share a few thing that i just found and hope someone will start a thread.

First and foremost the suicide connection?
Trouble In Prozac

(FORTUNE Magazine) – Can Prozac make you want to die? The idea seems strange, given that the drug and similar antidepressants are supposed to do just the opposite. Yet that is what Kimberly Witczak believes happened to her husband. Two years ago Tim "Woody" Witczak killed himself at age 37, soon after going on Pfizer's Zoloft--the top-selling member of Prozac's class of drugs, known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs. Her husband was an upbeat, happy man, says Kim Witczak. Shortly before his death he had been named vice president of sales at a startup that sold energy-efficient lighting. When anxiety about the new job caused insomnia, he was prescribed Zoloft. He began suffering from nightmares, profound agitation, and eerie sensory experiences after a couple of weeks on the medicine--at one point, she says, he said he felt as if his head were detached from his body. Then he seemed to calm down. But about five weeks after his first dose, he hanged himself from the rafters in their garage when Kim was out of town. He left no suicide note.

Now thats not all. It seems like there are more than just shrimp being drugged up....Humans too. (i know we all already knew)
Fluoxetine aka Prozac

Fluoxetine (also known by the tradenames Prozac, Sarafem, Fontex, among others) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor
Its no wonder theres so much going on

Check this list of Adverse Effects

General side effects are mostly present during the first 1–4 weeks while the body adapts to the drug (with the exception of sexual side effects, which tend to occur later in treatment). In fact, it often takes 6–8 weeks for the drug to begin reaching its full potential (the slow onset is considered a downside to treatment with SSRIs). Almost all SSRIs are known to cause one or more of these symptoms:
anhedonia apathy nausea/vomiting drowsiness or somnolence headache bruxism tinnitus extremely vivid or strange dreams dizziness fatigue mydriasis (pupil dilation) urinary retention changes in appetite insomnia and/or changes in sleep excessive diarrhea weight loss/gain (measured by a change in bodyweight of 7 pounds) increased risk of bone fractures and injuries changes in sexual behaviour (see the next section) increased feelings of depression and anxiety (which may sometimes provoke panic attacks) mania and psychotic disorders tremors (and other symptoms of Parkinsonism in vulnerable elderly patients)[20] autonomic dysfunction including orthostatic hypotension, increased or reduced sweating akathisia renal impairment suicidal ideation (thoughts of suicide) photosensitivity[21] Paresthesia dissociative disorders, cognitive disorders and loss of contact with reality Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone hypersecretion

Now for the interesting statistic

In 2010, over 24.4 million prescriptions for generic formulations of fluoxetine were filled in the United States alone,[3] making it the third most prescribed antidepressant after sertraline
Surely not

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
And in relation to my post above i would like you all to read this when you are done with the above.

Do they really think we are all f'ing stupid here???
Serotonin

Serotonin ( /ˌsɛrəˈtoʊnɨn/) or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system (CNS) of animals including humans. It is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.[5] Approximately 90% of the human body's total serotonin is located in the enterochromaffin cells in the gut, where it is used to regulate intestinal movements.[6][7] The remainder is synthesized in serotonergic neurons of the CNS where it has various functions. These include the regulation of mood, appetite, and sleep. Serotonin also has some cognitive functions, including memory and learning. Modulation of serotonin at synapses is thought to be a major action of several classes of pharmacological antidepressants.

And for the other side of it.
Melatonin

Melatonin i/ˌmɛləˈtoʊnɪn/, also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine,[1] is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants, and microbes.[2][3] In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing the entrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.[4] Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors,[5] while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant,[6] with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Yep it got a long and scary list of potential side effects like sexual dysfunction and suicide.

Now you can add another reason to think twice before agreeing to take antidepressants. At the American College of Cardiology meeting in New Orleans, Emory University School of Medicine scientists have just announced they`ve discovered that the drugs are linked to thicker arteries. The significance? The findings strongly suggest Prozac and similar meds could raise the risk of heart disease and stroke. NaturalNews

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Your signature causes me to believe you have ADHD.

Lets put you on a drug and fix that.

I mean, we're so full of ourselves that we judge ourselves masters of the chemical brain.

No problem is too big for us now.

Sorry if I offend someone who benefits from a drug. I am happy for you. Sometimes these drugs do indeed work. But I'm not going to throw away my reasoning mind in favor of your embellishments. Studies -do- show that anywhere from 30 to 60 percent of people do not respond to these drugs. In fact, several studies show placebos to be more effective than the drug itself for an appreciable population.

People want quick answers. Society does too. It's a nasty combination sometimes.
edit on 6-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Except the fact that not only is the economy crashing, but we are tearing the world and each other AND ourselves apart.

...yep, no problem is too big. Except for ourselves.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
And in relation to my post above i would like you all to read this when you are done with the above.

Do they really think we are all f'ing stupid here???
Serotonin

Serotonin ( /ˌsɛrəˈtoʊnɨn/) or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system (CNS) of animals including humans. It is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.[5] Approximately 90% of the human body's total serotonin is located in the enterochromaffin cells in the gut, where it is used to regulate intestinal movements.[6][7] The remainder is synthesized in serotonergic neurons of the CNS where it has various functions. These include the regulation of mood, appetite, and sleep. Serotonin also has some cognitive functions, including memory and learning. Modulation of serotonin at synapses is thought to be a major action of several classes of pharmacological antidepressants.

And for the other side of it.
Melatonin

Melatonin i/ˌmɛləˈtoʊnɪn/, also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine,[1] is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants, and microbes.[2][3] In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing the entrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.[4] Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors,[5] while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant,[6] with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.

the problem probably doesn't lie in the drug, but more so in prescribing it to relatively healthy minded individuals. the man in your story could have killed himself for a number of reasons and it could be from Prozac's activity on a brain that wasn't broken in the first place. someone who is normally happy and living a good life at his age obviously doesn't need an SSRI, the Doc should have gave him some xanax for the short term of his anxiety.

as i stated earlier, i was born with my condition, which began showing signs when i was 13 years old and it has never gone away. the SSRI i take works well for me, but that's probably because i'm not just short term nervous about a business venture or whatever.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

It's not as bad as you say.

Drugs do work sometimes. But as most things, we mess up pretty good in the end.

We've always messed up but nature is good at mopping up the mess.

I think we'll be ok. But it'll never be perfect and there'll always be losses.

Doctors prescribe them too much. There needs to be more critical observers.

What many overlook is that people want these drugs as much as the suppliers want them sold. If you focus too much on the supply-side then you're going to miss the demand-side of the equation.
edit on 6-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

It wasnt like i was constantly leaving the chair back then, but I couldnt sit still so kept moveing around on the chair. I was just borred in school and its minor challenges and is a lot more relaxed and economic with my movement today.

I sas thinking about changing it an hour ago so I find it quiet funny You should mention it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join