It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimps on prozac commit "suicide" - marine foodchain endangered

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

I'd probably be given heavy doses of their ADHD drugs if I had been born 10 years later. Lucky I wasn't. But I did get good grades so maybe they would have left me alone. I had a lot of issues growing up. Long list of sh** that I regret. But what bothers me about the industry is it's so ready to lock and load. These're children, not adults!!! At least adults can decide to take the drugs. The children have so little choice.

Keep in mind that I have two family members doped up with psychotropics. It influences my opinion.

My knee is up and down, up and down, as I write this. It's been going for 34 years. I remember in school I'd get comments about that. I think that my mind intuitively knows that exercise is good for me. So it always is causing one part or another of my body to move. Muscle contractions keep em in shape. I'm not always intentioned enough to get some real exercise, you see. But none of this would matter much if I had been a child and was thrown into the doctors room with almost no defense other than my opinions. Children, as you well know, are not listened to very much. Doctors and parents talk at you, rarely with you.

When you're sitting try to keep your back straight. It uses the muscles and keeps them in shape. Write down on a white piece of paper and cut it and tape it to your monitor or something so you don't forget.

And sometimes I think that I might be mildly autistic or something. There're a million disorders in their books nowadays. They'd probably find a dozen for me. Our society is too lazy. Everything has to be a quick answer. It's stop and go. We're quick to label and then off to the races. One could say that this is just shallow, and not lazy. But shallow can mean lazy. Or maybe too fast-paced. But one can't be too fast-paced and lazy at the same time. Somewhere we're missing the train. I express these things in my own ways. I want quick answers. I like to stay in my comfort zone. I try to stick to facts (as I know them). I rarely venture out beyond the familiar. But just as I hate to see these things in myself, I also hate to see them in society. All of this is worsened because there's much hardship. People are scrambling to find some peace as their life crumbles around them. The drugs are a godsend. Some of them have family to worry about. There's a lot of anxiety. People are pushed close to the edge. Maybe it brings out the worst in us.

Maybe I'm just stubborn. I can't shake the feeling that we're doing this to ourselves. When I see a unhappy person, I look at their habits and their lifestyle. The last thing I look at is their brain. It's just the way I'm wired. A chemist might disagree strongly with me and start pointing his virtual fingers at seretonin and dopamine and one of the other neurotransmitters in the brain. He'll tell me that all of this can be simplified down to chemistry and that the solution is no more complex than a pill. But whether it's my own lack of education or the way I'm wired or whatever, I always look to the choices people make and the environment they grew up in more than I do at the chemistry of their brain. Don't know what else to say.
edit on 6-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I can only agree to most of what you'r saying both about medication and exercise.
Theres no doubt we overmedicate children but why shouldnt we?

I mean were also bending their evolution from kids to grownups with stuff like phtalates, PCB and Bisphenol A.

Were poisoning most peoples brains from a young age with stuff like fluoride in the water, Aspartame in a lot of food sources and mercury in our vaccines.

And because that may not be enough to kill us all we chooce to ignore the drastic increase in radiation from multiple sources, Fuskushima being the worst at moment. This will cause cancer in a lot of humans and animals and most likely will create various mutations within a few generations. (For proofs of this look at fast-breeding species in the exposed areas, I bet these kind of animals already show the signs around Fukushima).

And why stop at genocide on humans?...lets also introduce hard-to-kill GMO veggies that by "unnatural selection" will become our main food source. GMO's might make us sterile in a few generations like it makes animals sterile. If you dont want to eat GMO veggies, thats not a problem because we will also feed the livestock with GMOs to secure you get your ratio. The "best" thing about GMO is that it might spread and take over from natural fauna forcing wild animals also eat it, so we can have a mass-species-genocide Hurray!

I also did the foottapping/heel-lifting for like eleven years until I was around seventeen years old.
Just to make it very clear all this ongoing # doesnt depress me (so I wont eat a prozac) but it does fire up my anger and contemp for global societies like EU and UN who should ban these toxins.
...Not going to link to all these things mostly because it's a little off topic.

edit on 6-2-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Pleased we are on the same wavelength here. Healthy minds being preyed upon. Read my post, the first one. In particular this piece.

Shortly before his death he had been named vice president of sales at a startup that sold energy-efficient lighting.

A vice president of a poor mind? Nope. But low and behold energy-efficient lighting. Yes lighting. It doesnt say bulbs for the record.
Strange. Cant say much more for fear of straying off topic.

In relation to the thread, how much of what we pass ends in the sea? and is this where prozac stems from?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Interesting topic OP. I also heard that birth control in urine has caused fish deformities and genetic problems. Funny how this has only come up recently.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

What makes this even more interesting is that i am under the impression that we may be led to believe that it is only shrimp. What other species? fish? crustaceans? In fact how much of the seafood we eat has been doped? If you know what i mean.

Its a big food chain and we supplement a lot with vitamins, minerals and other additives. Prozac of all things.

Can i quickly say this too. My wife went to buy some goldfish the other day and was told that it was against the law to sell goldfish if a tank hasnt been set up for 48 hrs. I knew that already but didnt realize this was because flouride in tap water killed the fish and made their skcales drop off. And we drink it!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

Like the gender-bending fish in the Potomac River, where some males produce egg's?
Scientists have wondered what could be changing the sex of large numbers of fish in the waterway outside Washington, D.C.

A recent U.S. government study has found large quantities of chemicals in the river and its tributaries—pollutants that are known to cause sex change in animals.

These chemicals, from both residential and industrial sources, may be linked to the unnatural fish, says the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) report from Dec. 2006.

During a 2003 survey of the Potomac River and the Cacapon River of West Virginia, Chambers and his colleagues found large numbers of intersex fish.

The researchers also found chemicals from pesticides and flame retardants as well as fragrances commonly found in products such as soaps, antiperspirants, and deodorants.
NationalGeographics

reply to post by jazz10

Yup (Quote from original post).

"We focused on shrimp because they are common and important in the food chain, but serotonin is also linked to behavioral changes in other species, including fish," Ford said.

“Crustaceans are crucial to the food chain. And if shrimps’ natural behavior is being changed because of antidepressant levels in the sea, this could seriously upset the natural balance of the ecosystem,” lead researcher Alex Ford said in a university.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

Its a shame that this thread title cant be changed. That would be an interesting thread.

To cover a wider spectrum of topics so to speak.

edit on 6-2-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Mimir

Wait...shrimp on prozac are intentionally offing themselves? And we're feeding this to millions of citizens worldwide?

Excuse me for a minute... :bnghd:
edit on CMondayam414123f23America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

actually they're too laid back and think hey, you look like a friend. :p

seriously one day it is my hope that someone will record what we have done, in an easy to read and understand format, step by step how we ended up creating mankind's demise.

we already did

its called bluray

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Pleased we are on the same wavelength here. Healthy minds being preyed upon. Read my post, the first one. In particular this piece.

Shortly before his death he had been named vice president of sales at a startup that sold energy-efficient lighting.

A vice president of a poor mind? Nope. But low and behold energy-efficient lighting. Yes lighting. It doesnt say bulbs for the record.
Strange. Cant say much more for fear of straying off topic.

In relation to the thread, how much of what we pass ends in the sea? and is this where prozac stems from?

hard to say about any conspiracy, but i wouldn't believe it would have been a good choice for anyone wanting to harm him given how everyone reacts differently to said medicine's.

also unsure how prosac could be getting into the sea in levels high enough to effect shrimp. does anyone realize how much prosac that would take? the more you look at it the more i'm leaning towards

A- this is a BS story, B- this is a true story but the chemicals doing this are not Pharm. prosac, C- this is a true story and the chemicals are coming from a source other than human effluent.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Thats what i was thinking. So where is the prozac coming from?
2nd

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

It's not a phnomenon affecting all coasts in the worlds, but something that occurs near cities that leek it with the sewerwater instead of cleaning the water for pharmaceutical traces, but it is spreading in the waters so larger areas will slowly get affected. I do agree that this may not be the greatest danger we're facing as a species and if those shrimps has to die...it's good they are on prozac so they die happy.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

2nd

or is it even prosac. if we look at what has happened to the sea that provides enough tons of harmful waste the one thing that practically jumps out at you is the gulph spill and chems they used on that.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir

It's not a phnomenon affecting all coasts in the worlds, but something that occurs near cities that leek it with the sewerwater instead of cleaning the water for pharmaceutical traces, but it is spreading in the waters so larger areas will slowly get affected. I do agree that this may not be the greatest danger we're facing as a species and if those shrimps has to die...it's good they are on prozac so they die happy.

lol @ the last sentence, yeah they may be the lucky ones eh.

actually i didn't realize it was wide spread, for some reason i assumed it was the gulph. there are a plethora of nasties that are now and soon will be leaking and leaching from the last 50 years of industrial waste, this is a great concern for us all.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I can't help but sit back and reflect for a moment on the absurdity of anti-depressents. To understand first of all you need to know why people get depressed in the first place. It's usually because something isn't going well in a persons life, they're not happy, or whatever it may be. It can all be traced back to an individual's environment and how it effects them psychologically. So in my opinion if you want to treat depression you have to change that persons environment, not give them a magic pill. This is perhaps the biggest fraud ever, and why was this done you ask? In the name of PROFIT. All problems we face today can be traced back to the the monetary system, capitalism, and the concept of money, I kid you not, probably just about every single one of them.
edit on 6-2-2012 by RadioactiveRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob
I can't help but sit back and reflect for a moment on the absurdity of anti-depressents. To understand first of all you need to know why people get depressed in the first place. It's usually because something isn't going well in a persons life, they're not happy, or whatever it may be. It can all be traced back to an individual's environment and how it effects them psychologically. So in my opinion if you want to treat depression you have to change that persons environment, not give them a magic pill. This is perhaps the biggest fraud ever, and why was this done you ask? In the name of PROFIT. All problems we face today can be traced back to the the monetary system, capitalism, and the concept of money, I kid you not, probably just about every single one of them.

although that can be true in short term cases, chronic depression due to brain chemical imbalances are not a mere nuisance, they are very real and you can't just smile them away.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

2nd

or is it even prosac. if we look at what has happened to the sea that provides enough tons of harmful waste the one thing that practically jumps out at you is the gulph spill and chems they used on that.

Yes.

To mimic conditions in the wild, scientists exposed the estuary-dwelling shrimp Echinogammarus marinus to the antidepressant fluoxetine at levels detected in average sewage-treatment waste. Fluoxetine is the key ingredient in the drugs Prozac and Sarafem. NationalGeographics

reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I know I'm repeating myself but dont forget its also used on the soldiers so they dont get depressed by the many situations they face.

I can only imagine that it's no fun when your constantly confronted with the ugly facts of war, like anger, blown off limbs sometime from children or Your under bombardment.

I'm not certain it's a good idea to supress this kind of depression with medecine especially not when you'r at war, it's not the same problem as those who need it medical. Many older civilizations druged themself before warsituations, like the viking berzerkers used psychedelic like psilocybin mushrooms, but modern day warfare is not about who is the most insane axeswinger anymore.

Is it because you become a more coldblooded killer not thinking about the concequences before you pull the trigger?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I agree with LBE and radioactiverob. Some people with severe chemical imbalances that are stuck in a depressive stupor deserve some treatment to give them a lift, while looking at the wiki page for fluoxetine, couldnt help but notice the list of adverse effects was way bigger than the medical uses

Any way, Im sure that this is just the tip of the ice burg, all done in worship of the golden calf called money and giving no thought to the repercussions. Ive known people on fluoxetine, didnt seem to help much but just mellowed out moods

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BillyTJames

off topic i know but doesnt it seem that over the recent couple of years there seems to be an increase in mental illnesses? Or seems mentioned more? Also while i am at it, ADHD and the like?
This thread has really set me off thinking here. Thanks OP

sorry bout off topic post but i feel its connected.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob

although that can be true in short term cases, chronic depression due to brain chemical imbalances are not a mere nuisance, they are very real and you can't just smile them away.

Wikipedia says that chemical imbalances are just a theory.

Chemical imbalance is one hypothesis about the cause of mental illness. Other causes that are debated include psychological and social causes.

And then it says this

According to critics, the chemical imbalance hypothesis has been overpromoted and continues to be advanced as factual by pharmaceutical companies. They believe the general population and many journalists have accepted this hypothesis into their understanding of mental illness uncritically.[11] They have pointed to the lack of an established chemical balance (without which, they claim, the notion of an "imbalance" is meaningless). Certain pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer continue to promote drugs like Zoloft with advertisements asserting that mental illness may be due to chemical imbalances in the brain, and that their drugs work to "correct" this imbalance.[12] Most academics believe that the advertisements are oversimplified and don't fully explain what is happening.[13]

I for one agree, it is my firm opinion all depression is caused by a deficiency in a person's life or environment. People don't get their emotional needs met and they get depressed, thing's happen that shouldn't happen they get depressed, etc. That's just common sense man. Big Pharma has one goal and one goal only, to turn a profit, they will tell you any crap they can to make you believe you need their pills. You see, it's hard to trust people in a monetary system, and when some big company gives you information that oh just happens to benefit them, like telling you that you have a chemical imbalance in your brain and you need their pills, thats a red flag right there! Don't be so naive, it all comes back to money.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Got put on seroxat (paxil), generic name paroxetine, an SSRI, few years back, 3 weeks after I lost a baby at 20 weeks into pregnancy. Basically I needed time to grieve. Have little memory of time taking them, until I tried to stop several months later. I was getting weepy and confused, until I took one again. Went back to my doctor who decided I was still depressed and doubled the dose.

I was then working on a psychiatric ward and came across an article about the 'discontinuation reaction' they were noticing in these new drugs. Went back to gp with it, who then decided to put me onto prozac as it was felt to be easier to stop, as it has a much longer half life. Two doses of this and I developed an allergy to it so just stopped.
I then proceeded to get higher and higher in mood, spending money I didn't have on things like exercise equipment I had no room for, then I crashed, ended up taking an OD and as a patient on a psych. ward myself. I thought I had become bipolar. It never happened before or since. About 3 years later I found out it was the seroxat, which I was prescibed for the natural process of grief.

Since then I have been offered citalopram, a newer SSRI by another gp, when I was under some stress. I asked him why, his reply -

'BECAUSE I FEEL SO HELPLESS TO DO ANYTHING ELSE'

I declined!

Have a feeling alot of people are given it for this - the doctors mean well, just believe the crap from the drug companies.

There was a time I believed politicians and psychiatrists knew what they were doing...................sad!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join