It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela threatens Britain over Falklands as its president vows to side with Argentina

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Tell you what....

How about, we cede the Falklands, when the US cedes Alaska back to Canada.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PrecogPsychicSensitive

One minute you accuse Britain of being warmongers, the next you say that the Islanders won't be able to defend themselves without Britain. I thought we were doing this democratically, allow the UN in with their ballot boxes and ask the people what they want. I know what the result would be but lets do it to put the issue to bed.

Remember it is not the UK threatening Argentina with an invasion, it is Argentina threatening the UK with an Invasion, just like they did in 82.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
Tell you what....

Alaska was actually part of Russia not Canada. They gave it up in a treaty.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You do realise that Tactical Nukes usually carry a very low yeild and are specifically designed for attacking Military units and istallations only. Citing a video without actually knowing its yeild as your evidence is a bit pathetic. The video is clearly a high yeild tactical nuke. You must have missed the part where I stated a tactical nuke can be designed to affect only the size of a parade square.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Yes, correct, but Alaska is an "Island" of US territory, in the middle of Canadian land. I quote "island" because its not an actual island. I was using it to make a point that just because somewhere is close to somewhere else, doesn't imply ownership.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Tell you what....

Alaska was bought from the Russians for two cents per acre, nothing to do with the Canadians. The Canadians have the second largest country in the world as it is.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Tell you what....

Alaska was bought from the Russians for two cents per acre, nothing to do with the Canadians. The Canadians have the second largest country in the world as it is.

the point is that the days of taking over soverignty of nations is long gone. I fail to see why Argentina is getting the support for doing something that belongs in the past. People have human rights and they have a right to choose their own destinys. I do not see why people cannot just accept that. Just like the UK government will do in 2014 when Scotland has its referendum on independence. Whatever the people vote, it will be respected.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Couldn't have put it better myself!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by PrecogPsychicSensitive
England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

I think you should go get a history lesson before spouting your rubbish.

Margaret Thatcher's support for Pinochet remains one of the most hideous offenses of the late 20th century, and the Falklands war one of the most useless wastes of lives. That the UK and friends has never actually stopped sticking their fingers into other countries for financial gain should make any reasonable human sick to the stomach. I love how Cameron (the arms smuggler and fraud) is accusing Argentine of "colonialism" .. LOL .. the UK would know all about that hey?

In fact, since you're so bleeding keen on "tatical nuclear", why doesn't old Cameron just use the 20kt battlefield ready device he stole? So subhumans like you can get off on poisoning someone else's ground for a few centuries.

Keyboard warriors like you recommending "tatical nuclear" response is just sickening. Stick to video games kid, hopefully you'd have a better grasp of the issues at hand.
edit on 6-2-2012 by harryhaller because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by PrecogPsychicSensitive
England needs to quit with the colony crap and mind its own business, leave those islands to the South Americans to manage.. if the Islands were parked off Englands shores I'd say they have a claim, but they are half a world away. Is England that petty it must fight over tiny pieces of land? Apparently so.. shameful.

Shameful, what allowing the Islanders to choose their own soverignty. That makes us colonialists does it, letting the people choose to be part of our nation. I suppose Argentina forcing their rule on those people doesn't make them colonialist though?

Mind our own business? It is our Business, the government of the Falkland Islands have asked our protection against their Argentinian oppressors.

It's all about Argentina wanting to claim the oil reserves that they've found off the Falklands.

If they discovered oil off Guam, the Americans wouldnt be giving it over to Indonesia, China or Japan.
Or American Samoa, The Northern Marianas, US Virgin Islands over to whoever claimed them.

Same for the France w/ French Guiana, New Caledonia or Martinique.

The Danes going to hand Greenland over to the US/Canada?... Nope.

The UK has no need to ever consider handing over the Falklands any more than the Cayman's over to the Mexicans, Bermuda to the US or Montserrat to Venezuela.

Until the people of these Overseas Territories decide themselves that they want to break away from their respective Governing nations, nobody else should be forcing them to do so.

Falklander's are full British Citizens as of 1983 and thus deserve the same level of protection from the threat of foreign forces as anyone back in the UK.

Obviously Nukes are a completely moronic suggestion, but they will be protected by force if need be, no matter of their proximity to the UK.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Yeah the Falklands War was a waste of lives, just a shame warmongering Argentina invaded the place eh?

Also, the warmonger Chavez, trust he will be putting his fat neck on line by being in the front line of any conflict

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Possession is the 9/10ths of the LAW .

Falkland islanders are in possession of the actual island and they have no desire to join with Argentina .
Therefore , it is the Argentinians who are in the adverse possession situation here .

Respect for the Falkland Islanders decision is paramount for the sake of LAW .

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
What scares me is if anything happens to the Falklands, the british public will demand war.
Only this time it wont be SAS boots on argie soil, blowing up fighter jets. I think the brits will make a point and attack Argentina's capital along with any other south American countries that team up with the argies.

It's just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
entire south america is standing up the british monarchy thugs who are provoking Argentina since many decades.It was time that the world community said enough and demanded that the british monarchy return the stolen islands to the democratic govt of Argentina.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mkgandhas

Chilie have more of a claim to them than Argentina. And exactly how have the UK been provoking South America, by defending themselves when invaded?

Oh and one more thing, how can we return them, returning them would imply that they had ownership at some stage in history of which they do not.
edit on 6-2-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

It is time the Imperialstic Indian government grants independence to the people of Andhar Pradesh who should lift the yoke of Indian tyranny.

See, it is easy to play your game........
edit on 6-2-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

That is ridiculous. Why would we nuke allies if Argentina invade? Britain will make light work of Venezuala and Argentina. No need to do anything else.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Deny ignorance

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It is simply more pointless sabre rattling so again it isn't worth getting wound up about.

However, i would say that diplomatically it is the right time to tell America that we expect public support over the issue if they wish to maintain our support over the various wars, etc, they are currently engaged in.

Being Allies is a two way street..........

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join