It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newfound "super-Earth"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by insite

The article doesn't state the exact mass of this super-earth. But judging from other information it isn't necessarily much heavier. It is bigger, but scarcity of heavier elements cause it is lighter than equal sized earth.
So i guess even if it's bigger 4 or 5 times, the gravity is roughly 2 times the earth gravity because of rarity of heavier elements, and planet radius[gravity depend on multiplication of objects mass, and divided by the square of distance between their mass centres]
So in the end, even skinny people will have problem standing there.If your weight is 135 lbs, then you will have to carry another "self" on your back

Sorry the article state that its mass is 4-5 bigger than earth, so please don't read my reasoning

edit on 3-2-2012 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
GJ 667Cc is definitely sitting in the Goldilocks or Habitable Zone, and is only 22 LY away!

If we researched our current technology, the fastest way to get there could be a Bussard Ramjet. Once it gets up to speed, it collects interstellar hydrogen and other atoms, compresses them and starts a fusion reaction process which propels the ship. The beauty of this design is that you don't have to carry all the fuel on the ship, but rather scoop up the fuel as you go along. Some on-board fuel would be needed to get up to efficient speeds.

The biggest challenge is how to construct an efficient electromagnetic or electrostatic scoop.

This design could in theory:

travel ten light years in just under 12 years as seen from Earth. To the crew on board, however, only about five years would have passed.

That means it would take 26 years earth time to get to GJ 667Cc. But, because of Einstein's time dilation effect, an astronaut would only experience a 11 year trip. Probes would probably be sent first, maybe using slower technology like ion drives.

I see no reason why humanity should not spread to the stars. Sure we have our problems, but we are also capable of greatness in our philosophies, arts, science and religion. I would rather the human race survive than become extinct.

I wonder if the local inhabitants of GJ 667Cc, if any, will have conspiracy theories about those darn ETs.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.bisbos.com...
www.projectrho.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A 28 day year means that its very close to its home star and thus very hot, I dont think we will be going there anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 6minutes212

Nice find!

I'm expecting a visit any day now from my 'other' self!!
edit on 3-2-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
A 28 day year means that its very close to its home star and thus very hot, I dont think we will be going there anytime soon.

I don't think you have been reading have you Captain Anti America

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Captain Anti-America? I am an American and we whooped your butts in 1776 and we will do it again. Dont make me come to your island.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It said in the article that its neither too hot nor too cold which means it could harbour life!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

There is no life out there, at least not intelligent, maybe microbial forms but nothing else. There are no such things as aliens.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I saw this planet probably has carbon......Let's go mining for diamonds....Who wants to join me?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
[more
WTF ??? What is going one ? Nobody see the MANIPULATION here??? remember in steps the "movie"!!

1 first they found a system ( brown dwarf etc..)
2 second they found planets ?? lot of planets arround our system
3. then a solar system like ours
4 then a planet like ours
5. a close planet with possible life
6. Nasa release a picture with Earth in HD ( very strange and mysterious picture)
7 now BINGO s supersize earth??? daaahh !!!!

everybody has EYES WIDE SHUT??????

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thrace
If we "could" get to it would we be able to live there? Would it have breathable oxygen?

It may (or may not) have a similar atmosphere, but I would think odds are that it doesn't....

...HOWEVER, a major problem with us visiting there right now (even if we could) would not only be the atmosphere, but the gravity. This is at least 4.5 times as massive as the earth, so depending on its size, the gravity could be 3 or 4 times that of the earth. So a 150 pound person could feel as if they were carrying 500 pounds (or so) of weight around.

Basically, a person from Earth may not be able to stand up, and perhaps they could find it extremely difficult to breathe with the weight or their own bodies crushing their lungs.

edit on 2/3/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sabalsis1972

So do you find it necessarily strange/odd that scientific discoveries usually occur incrementally?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
will the humans be super humans Oo

..this is such a cool find...hope its not near the Dogon's star though!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Scientists say there is a lack of heavy metals...Damn so no guitars lol just kidding.

Maybe that star system was a mining field for other alien races thousands of years ago?

It could even be An ETs version of Disneyland or Hawaii.

Too bad we don't have the technology to go there... Must be like a giant middle finger to the astronomers and scientists. I mean, you can only learn so much from a distance. Sooner or later you need to go there to see what's there.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Captain Anti-America? I am an American and we whooped your butts in 1776 and we will do it again. Dont make me come to your island.

I doubt it Captain Anti America, don't worry it was just a joke, really no need for a war, turning on your closes allie would be the dumbest thing the US ever did, i'd bet my life the world would jump on you in an instant being all on your own, anyway enough of that...

There is no life out there, at least not intelligent, maybe microbial forms but nothing else. There are no such things as aliens.

Firstly, why are you so sure of this? life is very very hardy indeed, there are trillions & trillions of earth like planets out there, and we can at least consider alien life as single cell organisms yes?, there could very well be alien life within our own little solar system, i really like my odds better then your

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Wow. Deny ignorance huh?

I would love to know just how you know for a fact there is no intelligent life out there. Please enlighten us.

I believe life is more so the rule than the exception. Even if there is no intelligent life there doesn't mean there is none anywhere.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabalsis1972
[more
WTF ??? What is going one ? Nobody see the MANIPULATION here??? remember in steps the "movie"!!

1 first they found a system ( brown dwarf etc..)
2 second they found planets ?? lot of planets arround our system
3. then a solar system like ours
4 then a planet like ours
5. a close planet with possible life
6. Nasa release a picture with Earth in HD ( very strange and mysterious picture)
7 now BINGO s supersize earth??? daaahh !!!!

everybody has EYES WIDE SHUT??????

And this is only what they are allowed to tell you

Were the stupid ones tho apparently

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Would any inhabitants be smaller than those of Earth, since its larger mass would make gravity on surface more powerful?

Or would gravity be the same since the distance from the core to the surface is directly proportional to the Earth (assuming it's spherical)?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa

"Statistics tell us we shouldn't have found something this quickly this soon unless there's a lot of them out there," Vogt said. "This tells us there must be an awful lot of these planets out there. It was almost too easy to find, and it happened too quickly."

For some reason this statement gave me the willies...

I totally know what you mean. For all the excitement and scientific interest that this comparative "flood" of new Planets believed to be Earth like holds, there is certainly much to give pause and consider. From the very real notion that humans are absurdly naive to the point that they ignore so-called fantastical possibilties to their possible peril. And no, not implying that aliens are going to invade and eat us. They might, but there's a bunch of other related concerns - our own planet is in very real dire circumstances from our own toxic and radioactive disasters & pollution and ruthlessly exploiting natural resources to the point that portions of our own species are suffering like the poor animals that we also ignored. In other words, we need to start looking at our options for our children and not just use the excuse that it's impossible to .

I read an article recently about some imminent scientist who basically ruined the career and life of a fellow scientist who dared suggest that humans might have set forth on the American continent prior to the Clovis people. I can't remember the names unfortunately but this man was so angry at this suggestion - so threatened it seems - that he made sure to ridicule the "rogue" and repeat over and over the "facts" until the poor man was laughed out of academic and research circles. I'll never understand why some people have to cling to certain beliefs to the point that - not only are they unwilling to even entertain the notion of something contradictory or in this case merely expansive to their accepted beliefs - they actually get angry and even violent at something that threatens the comfortable world view. It's almost like religious fervor. At least that purports to be something that affects one personally and eternally - not that I'm excusing such behavior in that context, just that at least I can sort of understand where its coming from.

I still remember before there were any other planets outside our solar system (and no, I am not anciently old!). Other planets and solar systems were speculative and I remember the idea was considered rather "out there" and something that only Star "Track" and Star Wars weirdos believed. When Vega was discovered to have a fledgling solar system it was shocking to many, especially those that had been comfortable in believing our solar system was unique and we were special (not sure if religion, lack of imagination, or just good old human self-centeredness was the main factor in this belief, but now days it's hard to imagine people could be so small minded.

And that is what I find so intriguing - that in my lifetime I have seen the collective world view (erm universe view?) change to where not only are there other solar systems, but even planets thought to be much like Earth actually discovered. Not just hypothesized or inferred from gravitational irregularities, but actually visualized (to an extent of course). :-) A bit off topic, but a while back at a friend's the movie "9 to 5" was on, and I remember being absolutely stunned when the tour of the office featured large clunky-looking typewriters on all the secretaries' desks. Not computers! And I had that same momentary dizzy realization of just how profoundly our world has changed and I have seen it. I've experienced it We all have.

For all the times I (and I suspect many of you) complain of boredom and the annoyances of day to day life, in retrospect we are all living through an astonishing and awesome period of human history. I was only a couple months old when humans first walked on a body other than our home planet (well, moon hoax and/or black ops and/or ancient advanced civilizations aside ) the history (as believed by most of the world) of our species has taken some monumental leaps and if there is ever any sort of "more than this" or after life or advancements in the far future allow us all to be resurrected or brought forward to the future and granted eternal life or something unimaginable, I think we will all look back on this physical existence and smile inwardly that we were actually part of such a fantastic historical period of humankind. So anytime you're stuck in traffic, have to deal with some nasty mean person, or get annoyed at having to do that repetitive daily tasks that seem to have no meaning, just reflect on the larger time period and events around you and smile that happy smile - you are a part of this. And it is sublime! :-)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIrishJihad83

Wow. Deny ignorance huh?

I would love to know just how you know for a fact there is no intelligent life out there. Please enlighten us.

I believe life is more so the rule than the exception. Even if there is no intelligent life there doesn't mean there is none anywhere.

Pleaze...The Doc said we should ignore and maybe he´ll go away...
4....Lines

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join