It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newfound "super-Earth"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Named GJ 667Cc Scientists are saying it can easily have water and possible life! At only 22 light years away it's a pretty exciting new find. Source

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Feb 3 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 6minutes212

Only 22 light years! Why, we could go and be back in time for the Super Bowl!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

Considering the last one found was 600 light years away, I'd say this is something to be excited about.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Great find, really exciting stuff. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

That is so cool. I think we as a human race should put more of our energy into space exploration than starting all these damn wars. I mean just think, we could have future generation's on other planets some day. Hopefully they won't destroy them the way we have done to our home now!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JOBEone

The thought of future generations being born and raised on an alien world is simply a fantastic thought. I love speculating about such things.

My worry is this.... should we really be contaminating the rest of the galaxy with the virus of humanity?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
you'll find when the curtain is dropped there just may be a planet sat closer than you think

2nd

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Considering the big announcement this past December was one 600 light years away and 2 months later they are finding one now only 22 light years away saying it shouldn't have been this easy I'm hoping for the same thing. =) I just hope the momentum keeps pace.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It will. Whether they like it or not.

2nd

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 6minutes212
reply to post by jazz10

Considering the big announcement this past December was one 600 light years away and 2 months later they are finding one now only 22 light years away saying it shouldn't have been this easy I'm hoping for the same thing. =) I just hope the momentum keeps pace.

Even better is SETI is now checking these latest stars that have been found to have planets circling them. For once common sense seems to have won over beauracracy. Even if its still a needle in a haystick in terms fo finding / detecting alien life, at least the haystack got a lot smaller.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
4.5 times the size of the Earth....ooooooofff!

Don't want to walk around on that thing, my sizable girth would make my poor old heart stop!

"Honey? Does this planet make me look fat?"

And a 28 day year to boot!

O.o just thought of another "ladies" joke, but I'll refrain! hehehehehe.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If we "could" get to it would we be able to live there? Would it have breathable oxygen?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Stating 'in a habitable zone' sets imaginations wild, all a habitable zone means is sustaining the possibility for liquid water. Under extreme pressures, (like 4.5 times sea level) the freezing point of water lowers. Also a greater mass means greater stresses and this baby is under extreme stresses orbiting a star in a month. That being the case it should be in a zone closer than Venus and Mercury that have only trace amounts of water, even with Venus's heavy atmosphere its completely void of water. Another thing mentioned in the article that the planet just doesn't have going for it is its star is primarily hydrogen and helium and lacks heavier elements, so I doubt you'd have to pack your swimming suit.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

"Statistics tell us we shouldn't have found something this quickly this soon unless there's a lot of them out there," Vogt said. "This tells us there must be an awful lot of these planets out there. It was almost too easy to find, and it happened too quickly."

For some reason this statement gave me the willies...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Lets go there, I'm done here...
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

ONLY 22 lightyears?
You do realize it still takes 95,000 years for us to reach that with our current mainstream technology, right?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Let`s send them one of those "faster than light" neutrinos to say hi
....Can I get a Visa to go there on vacations ?
edit on 2-2-2012 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We need to do what humans do, go there and stick our Old Glory up it's ass

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ssupp

ONLY 22 lightyears?
You do realize it still takes 95,000 years for us to reach that with our current mainstream technology, right?

Since we just found it, that means we are seeing what it was like and not what it is like. It could have been destroyed by an Asteroid by now.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Originally posted by ssupp

ONLY 22 lightyears?

Since we just found it, that means we are seeing what it was like and not what it is like. It could have been destroyed by an Asteroid by now.

Good point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join