It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is unconditional love (Agape) really good?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

This question has nothing to do with God. It's a question for those that believe in this universal law of unconditional love being the greatest force.

really now.. If unconditional love if the universal force.. then they are in fact saying that is God.

While Gods love may be unconditional..God does not want unloving acts to go unchallenged.

For those who get all huffy because I mention God with unconditional love.. well.. c'mon.. you can unconditionally love a rapist and child killer, but you won't love a person who brings up the God of the bible

Has to make you wonder who is behind this unconditional love stuff..but doesn't want Jesus or His Father brought into the mix..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by arpgme

I believe love is a action and inaction is not showing love ..We as humans need to be taught things .peace

love is defined as an action AND a noun, therefore you can have love even while doing nothing...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
Has to make you wonder who is behind this unconditional love stuff..but doesn't want Jesus or His Father brought into the mix..

Unconditional love IS the Father and Jesus without the condition that those labels be applied.

How can you claim to love either of them which are invisible when you cannot love a Brother who is visible?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

Unconditional love IS the Father and Jesus without the condition that those labels be applied.

How can you claim to love either of them which are invisible when you cannot love a Brother who is visible?

With Love,

Your Brother

I do love His children on this earth...I simply detest their sins,some which are much worse than others.. God will have no part of sin.. which is why He died to cleanse us from them so we could be made worthy of paradise with the Father who is sinless..and will not allow sin to be a part of Him or His children.

Sorry but there are conditions into entering paradise..and Jesus tells us of them in the bible. I love all my brothers and sisters..and that is why I warn them to repent, and accept the grace of Christ and amend their lives.

But that is not what this thread is about.. but to me it is the universal truth....that we will all see clearly someday.

edit on 30-1-2012 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

well if by doing nothing is a way you can express your love then I say have at it ...I will rather show what little love I have to give with my actions ...peace

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I personally do not believe that unconditional love is a possibility in human beings, or any physically sentient being. Unconditional love is only possible if you are a spirit being who is not a part of this physical universe, and can watch things unfold from a safe distance.

All beings have the instinct for survival, and if somebody you love threatens that survival or causes you more pain than happiness, love disappears quicker than Natalee Holloway in Aruba. I'm not talking about need or co-dependency, but actual love.

Love is ALWAYS conditional, it's just that some people have a wider range of what they will accept than others.

I'm in total agreement with you on this. The key here is the use of the wrong word in my estimation. Let us exchange the words "unconditional love" with the word compassion. If you were to check into EEG tracings done with monks you would find that compassion equates with a high level of brain activity in a meditational state, the gamma range, which is mostly a learned state and which we can off-handedly assume is one step toward the 'Oneness." Compassion speaks more of an understand than a mere acceptance because of an "unconditional love." It is not simply seeing the mountain, but knowing the mountain.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

They are not the same thing. You can be compassionate and still not know unconditional love.

Look, I think a lot of you here are confused about what love is. I think you have a lot of beliefs about the nature of love but those beliefs are shaped by society's distorted emotional practices that really have little to do with love at all. As so many have mentioned above, there is an idea that ownership and control and other non-loving aspects are present when they are not. Those are personal aspects based on fear, insecurities in the other person. They are certainly nothing to do with love at all. Fear of someone leaving you will produce jealousy and other control-based reactions. How does that have anything to do with love? That's a reaction to fear, not love. Do you see?

Unconditional love means that you can love everyone and you are fully aware of it. There is no greater or lesser love. There are still preferences as with anything, but that doesn't diminish the fact that you love all of existence. It's not even about just people. You love everything that exists and appreciate all the things that make everything what it is. You marvel and revel in the differences and sameness of everything under creation. It is all so astoundingly perfect and beautiful! When you feel love so fully and pervasively, you literally feel that you're bubbling with joy all the time. You still feel it even when unfortunate things befall you. They do, just as much as for anyone else! But it doesn't matter, it's actually amusing and you can take the lessons from it forward with you rather than wallowing in fear and anger. It is what you feel when you rise above this illusion of existence we saturate ourselves in here on Earth.

Let's not go renaming the thread here. Let's focus on knowing Unconditional Love.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

So what happens when you love someone and they want to hurt you and hurting you is the only thing that will make them happy. What if someone wants to enslave you? What if someone forces you to do something? Do you just love them anyway?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

There is no reason to love them less or any differently. You simply make your choice. Do you choose to be in an intimate relationship with them? Do they offer you happiness? If not, find someone else. The world is full of souls and a lot of them are quite healthy. You are free to choose.

The thing about loving fully and completely - loving everything and everyone - is that you don't have limitations yourself. You know the world is your oyster. When everything is in front of you, you know what's good for you and you focus on that for as long as it is good for you. Because you have no ego-vested interests, you can walk away from something just as happily as you went into it. Or it can stay with you for a lifetime. It's really all the same. There's no fear of any void happening anywhere in your life because you are complete in yourself.

Unconditional love starts with the Self.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
What if someone is torturing you, is it really a good idea to show them unconditional love and how do you show unconditional love to yourself AND the other person?

Unconditional love =/= brainless love.

If you give a person everything he/she wants, it will destroy him/her in the end, and that is not love don't you think?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Tough love is NOT pure love, just to let you know.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

With Love,

Your Brother

Lol, i have to agree to disagree here. Yes he loves but it is not unconditional. If God loved unconditionally there would have been no need for Jesus to sacrifice himself and so he died for nothing and to believe that is anti-christ. A god that loved unconditional would have loved you despite your wickedness and Yah is a Just and Righteous God and he does not tolerate sin, sin and corruption are destroyed in his presence. He loved the world enough to give us the Lamb but there are still conditions to that gift of salvation. That being that you must accept it, he will not force it on you, you must choose it.

The love Christ teaches is written in the 10 commandments and his other teachings that go in tandem with this, which includes being unselfish but do not mistake this as being that we must condone and embrace iniquity, for that path leads to destruction. We forgive, and teach them to not do those things anymore, but in this day and age you can't teach anyone anything they are not willing to learn.

The type of love Jesus taught was kindness to others and sacrifice of self or to be unselfish. If you cannot have a giving heart, a give water to a man that thirsts, or food to a person that is hungry, or a shoulder to cry on for someone who needs consolation, you will not see his kingdom. You can say you believe in him all you want but your faith will be manifested into your actions. If you have no works from your faith then your faith is nothing.
edit on 31-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Well this isn't about jesus anyway so let's stop preaching here and get back on subject. This is about those who believe in the universal force of unconditional love...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Well this isn't about jesus anyway so let's stop preaching here and get back on subject. This is about those who believe in the universal force of unconditional love...

Universalism is unbiblical.

Pagan even.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Well this thread is NOT about the bible and I was not asking if it was pagan, universal, or biblical...

I specifically asked a question to those people who believe in the universal force of unconditional love.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join