It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Arrested At Occupy Oakland Yesterday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+81 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In fact, there is a slight possibility that I was the first person ziptied during the first dramatic police encounter after we passed through Laney College.

I was across the street from the person who took the above video. I was between the riot police and the Occupy March...leaning against a car eating an apple. A tear gas canister hit my foot and caused its' effect - a teary eyed and half suffocated MemoryShock though I likened the experience to eating too much wasabi (didn't really phase me).

One of the impressions I will never forget is that the riot police, despite the fact that they were giving very vocal warnings of the possibility for severe injury, did indeed fire high velocity projectiles into a crowd of unarmed people. There was no provavcation save for a group of many people fed up with the state of our society attempting to use peaceful assembly guarenteed by our constitution. I am no authority on the matter but I know what I witnessed...and there is a reason that I placed myself in between the two groups; I wanted to witness the events. A pal of mine may have more video but I was strictly there to witness...

I noticed the riot police, after much tear gas, flash bombs, smoke grenades and rubber bullets (I was yelling at them to "Not Hurt People"; astounding that they had no compunction) start their forward march onto the crowd...about fouty five against hundreds...and they were on me in muntes...I turned around, was bumped to the ground without resisting and was immediately zip tied and placed in a police cruiser. I was then taken to the Alameda Police Department where I was detained until 5am the next morning...when I was released after watching waves of other Occupiers follow in with their incarceration...

The one thing I did notice throughout the night (little sleep occurred) was that everyone was animate and talkative. Much discussion was had and no one was necessarily distressed at having to spend the night in prison...though there may have been a few people unfairly tacked with assault charges (I have a 409; for refusal to disburse from an 'unlawful assembly')...and there was more comradarie then I would have expected.

I do not see this movement ending soon...and after my first very involved interaction, I am looking forward to seeing this movement evolve...though I concede that changes are going to need to be made and more education amongst those who are presenting adversity is required.

And there it is...a first hand account...more later if and when it transpires...because who can really predict the future?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I think Occupy needs to get a strong legal team to fight the bogus charges being presented. You are very lucky you weren't charged with something else. You also have a very strong defense. All you have to say is that you were accidentally at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Do not accept a plea deal of any kind. Take the trial by jury and make the officer show up. Chances are you will get your charges dropped.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hey man, you can't lean up against a car eating an apple and expect the cops to look the other way.

This country is on its way back to a little law and order.

Great post, first person source. Beats hell out of wackypedia and the MSM.

Here come the flamers, hope you still have your padding on.

K
edit on 29-1-2012 by kawika because: add text

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

the occupy movement is still going on? i thought it ended a couple of weeks ago...whats the point really?...it never accomplished anything, and just proved that kids now-a-days are lazy and dont want a job that requires hard work and a little elbow grease...

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Another "peaceful protest."

Mayor Jean Quan was among those inspecting damage caused after dozens of people broke into City Hall on Saturday, smashing glass display cases, spray-painting graffiti, and burning an American flag.

That break-in culminated a day of clashes between protesters and police. Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan said nearly 400 people were arrested on charges ranging from failure to disperse and vandalism. At least three officers and one protester were injured.

Saturday's events began late Saturday morning, when a group assembled outside City Hall and marched through the streets, disrupting traffic as they threatened to take over the vacant Henry Kaiser Convention Center.

The protesters then walked to the convention center, where some started tearing down perimeter fencing and "destroying construction equipment" shortly before 3 p.m., police said.

Police said they issued a dispersal order and used smoke and tear gas after some protesters pelted them with bottles, rocks, burning flares and other objects.

Quan said that at one point, many protesters forced their way into City Hall, where they burned flags, broke an electrical box and damaged several art structures, including a recycled art exhibit created by children.

Source

I know. It was another brutal police response against peaceful protesters who just happened to cause tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You have your occupy badge of honour

Well done for being there, and nice one for taking one for the team. I agree with the above, make them take it to court. If everyone did that, the whole system would be backed up for ages. I am sorry that you had to go through it, and that the police do not seem to know who they are supposed to be protecting.

Keep on keeping on, and don't let the bastards grind you down!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The Occupy Movement should have taken a page from this Chelean Activist ... She may be an affirmed Communist, but she does know how to organize and galvanize a movement that resonates on an international level.

Having said that, I too think Occupy is dead.

+31 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

the occupy movement is still going on? i thought it ended a couple of weeks ago...whats the point really?...it never accomplished anything, and just proved that kids now-a-days are lazy and dont want a job that requires hard work and a little elbow grease...

wow the matrix really has a hold of this one

take two red pills and call me in the morning

i see your opinion closly mirrors MSM views
have you been to an occupy and talked to the protestors,
on videos i have seen grannys, pilots and students, as well as everything in between,

do you support the bank bail outs?

xploder

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Very interesting account. Thanks for taking the time to share it...

As we slip down the slippery slope of losing what sets America apart
from the rest of the world, ie the Constitution, keep these word in mind.

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If we lose this, we go back 200 yrs, and all those lives and blood given in the name of freedom will be forever lost...

Something worth fighting for, in my opinion...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

Originally posted by k1k1to

wow the matrix really has a hold of this one

take two red pills and call me in the morning

i see your opinion closly mirrors MSM views
have you been to an occupy and talked to the protestors,
on videos i have seen grannys, pilots and students, as well as everything in between,

do you support the bank bail outs?

xploder

that sounds like a typical response when you critize wars , and they cry

"do you not support the troops" ? lol

i see your response closely mirrors MSM views :p

i don't have to support bank bail outs , to reject lost hippies.

edit on 29-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I know. It was another brutal police response against peaceful protesters who just happened to cause tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Perhaps the brutal police response pushed the protesters to become violent?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
The Occupy Movement should have taken a page from this Chelean Activist ... She may be an affirmed Communist, but she does know how to organize and galvanize a movement that resonates on an international level.

i dont think your paying attension

i think the Ocupation part is nearly over,
but the movement is far from dead, i think that is wishful thinking on your part

untill the prosicution of wall street crimes (criminal)
and the removal of corperated dominated politics
they will not stop, non violently and paitently keeping on task,

you seem to think this is a short sighted
short lived idea,

but freedom is contagious

xploder

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

ahh the MSM naritive "smelly hippies"
that sounds like a typical response when you critize wars , and they cry

"do you not support the troops" ? lol

i see your response closely mirrors MSM views :p

i don't have to support bank bail outs , to reject lost hippies.

what is your opinion on banking lender fraud?
illegal reposetion fraud?
got a house?

truth is these guys are the ones who understand enough of whats going on to try and make a lawful change.

are you a keyboard crusader or have you even visited an occupy?

to base your views on?

xploder

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

oh i see,
your a 1% supporter here to troll for angry responces,
ok i wont bite
in any group you will find idiots,
to point them out as representitive of the whole is disingenious

and pretty easy to spot

xp

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I appriciate your courage and dedication. You have done more to defend your rights then most people I can think of. Awsome!

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I watched the Occupy movement from about 3 pm central time till the videos went off, sometime around 2 this morning.

I have to say, I don't think the police acted wrong here. The protesters were throwing things at the police all day, not all of them were throwing things but some of them were indeed throwing things at the police. The MSM didn't tell me I saw these things it is what I witnessed! Someone in the crowd stole an iPhone from the girl I was watching, saw him run by on another feed!

The cops had been trying to kettle them up all day, they finally did it and arrested people.

Some of the people there were peaceful, the girl I was watching actually yelled at people for throwing things, but as we all know yes, a few bad apples can indeed ruin the bunch! They STOLE the flag off of City Hall and burned it!! Flag burning isn't going to win over the hearts and minds of anyone.

I believe in free speech, I believe in protesting, I just don't understand what they are protesting! That's why I can't support them! If they had a centralized message or something, anything I may support them.

link   
Much as I have grown unfond of these protests, I will say that shooting metal canisters out of a high-powered potato cannon at what amounts to 21st century hippies is not exactly what I consider cool.

When these kids start throwing molitov cocktails like many of those in Greece have been doing, then such a tactic becomes appropriate.

And before anybody starts going on about the destruction they cause, I'm just wondering how much of the destruction is actually caused by the police shooting metal cannisters and rubber bullets everywhere.

link   

were you witness to anyflash bang grenads?
did any explode near you (other than tear gas)?

was anybody hurt from the explosives used by police?

xploder

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wow, props to you for your courage, fellow Occupier!

I think I will have a cup of coffee in your honor, brother. I just hope I don't accidentally splash myself.... in the face!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

When are you people going to learn that communism/communists are not the enemy. The term has been heavily propagandized, due to the fact the PTB are scared to death of it.

Nothing that challenges the status-Que is ever going to change anything if people can't learn what is propaganda and what is truth.

Communism is the doctrine of the conditions of the liberation of the proletariat. Frederick Engels 1847

www.marxists.org...

From what I've seen on the street, not on teh net, the movement is not dead, it may not be the best way to challenge the system, but it is the first step. If you are not angry like they are then you are not being effected like they are. I live in the Bay Area btw, the police are not our friends here. I know first hand from being a VICTIM of a crime that they don't give a damn, and think we're all just criminals who haven't been caught yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join