It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Christianity Is This?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Source

Though founded by a pacifist, Christianity has justified some of the most brutal slaughters in human history, from the wars of the late Roman Empire to the Crusades to the Inquisition to world wars to genocides against "heathens," Muslims and Jews. Yet, Gary G. Kohls says the essence of Christianity can still be reclaimed.

From time to time, I read about condemnations of religion coming from non-religious groups, especially concerning the all-too-common violence perpetrated in the name of religious gods. Indeed there is plenty to condemn.

Altogether too many religions sects of both major and minor religions, despite verbally professing a desire for peace and justice in the world, are actually pro-war, pro-homicide and pro-violence in practice (or they may be silent on the subject, which is, according to moral theology, the same as being pro-violence).

Obvious examples include those portions of the three major war-justifying religions of the world: fundamentalist Islam, fundamentalist Judaism and fundamentalist Christianity.

I had to share this article because as many of you know, I an anti-religion.

Now, don't get wrong, I am not against religious people, just religion. I fell bad for religious people because they believe in some fantasy person who watches over them and actually gives a crap about them. They are too self-centered to actually face the fact that they mean nothing. Really we all do.

Yes, a few of us, like the Einstein's and Sagan's and what have you will be remembered for generations, but they majority of us will have a hard time being remembered past a few generations beyond ourselves. That's why I believe most people grasp on to religion, as it is supposed to make them feel special.

But, as we all know it, the catholic religion is closer to Satan than it is away from it. With all the molestation charges and the rape accusations, it is a wonder why there are even followers of that faith anymore. To support them week after week and to donate to them you are saying it is all right for them to do what they want to do.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. And that is what the religious people are doing while they preach people who do not believe in the same god as them will burn in hell for eternity. Geez, those sound like loving people...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Organized religion is a complete sham, now while I do not agree with your beliefs, I do believe you're allowed to believe whatever you like. People often choose not to see the truth right in front of their eyes, change is just too much for them, religion has been what they've based their whole lives around.

I do feel sorry for those people, but it is their life, and their choice.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by QUANTUMGR4V17Y

If you choose to support organized religion than you support the hatred and heinous crimes they commit.

Being spiritual or whatever you want to call it, like believing in a higher power, is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the people that think that a jealous god who hates all that do not believe in him should die. Or a god that believes gays should burn but yet owning slaves is okay.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Dear predator0187,

A Christian and a pacifist here. I don't judge atheists by looking to Stalin, please don't judge Christianity by looking at anyone other than Jesus. As for those who call themselves one thing and do not live it, that is true for people of all beliefs sets. Peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Anyone reading your post is bound to have lots of thoughts, you've covered a lot of ground. I assume this is intended to be a serious thread so I hope you don't mind if I go slowly, a small piece at a time. (Check my signature.)

But, as we all know it, the catholic religion is closer to Satan than it is away from it. With all the molestation charges and the rape accusations, it is a wonder why there are even followers of that faith anymore.
What would be the appropriate opinion of the Catholic Church before the scandal occured? Before there were charges and accusations.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What is the alternative - something godless that oppresses religion like Stalinism?

That was only around for a short time, and look how many people it killed.

Maybe one can rather expand religion to see a common spark with other religions.

I think when people believe in love and tolerance, they can also be easily abused by imposters.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

If you studied or looked at jesus' teachings you would know Christianity has nothing to do with him or his thoughts.

It's funny the man who hated religion and hated churches is being used in both of those to support them both.

Funny, hey?

So Christians cannot say they follow the word of Jesus when they are in direct contradiction to what he says in their 'holy book', you can say you follow the hateful and vengeful god of your bible.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Very delightful...I always admire the religious folk.They are solid people just like we may be.Although,in the end who will win.That"s were I am stumped.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
I fell bad for religious people because they believe in some fantasy person who watches over them and actually gives a crap about them.

I'm having a hard time following this line of thought. First you mention A Fantasy person in the above line then a bit later make this statement...

But, as we all know it, the catholic religion is closer to Satan than it is away from it.

I'm not here to defend the actions of the Church in any way, shape or form. It just struck me as odd as how can one dismiss a "God" yet still refer to something as being closer to "Satan"? Are these not opposite ends of the spectrum from each other?

Yes, a few of us, like the Einstein's and Sagan's and what have you will be remembered for generations

You're in pretty good company.

edit on 25-1-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Dear predator0187,

Please read my words again, read any of my posts and tell me where I have ever promoted hatred. Please tell me where I have attacked people because they had committed sins, please tell me where I have said that all non-believers go to hell, please tell me where I have told anyone to follow an organization rather than follow Jesus's words or get off my back. I have as much right to believe in Jesus as you have to believe that nobody matters, for me, everyone matters. By the way, I have more proof that Jesus existed than you have that we are meaningless. Peace.
edit on 25-1-2012 by AQuestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Anyone reading your post is bound to have lots of thoughts, you've covered a lot of ground. I assume this is intended to be a serious thread so I hope you don't mind if I go slowly, a small piece at a time. (Check my signature.)

But, as we all know it, the catholic religion is closer to Satan than it is away from it. With all the molestation charges and the rape accusations, it is a wonder why there are even followers of that faith anymore.
What would be the appropriate opinion of the Catholic Church before the scandal occured? Before there were charges and accusations.

We if you have ever studies the reformation of the church you will know it has been shady for a long time. Seriously? Selling spots in heaven? People paying not to have to go through purgatory? Shady stuff.

Also the fact that they killed or imprisoned people that stood for learning anything new and not following the idea that god mad rand controlled everything is another telling fact.

Also the fact that when Christianity was founded they burned down our only university on the planet at the time where the majority of earths knowledge was held, just because it went against their beliefs..

So there has always been issues but they were usually they were not out in the open like they are nowwith the molestation and rape accusations that are happening now, so to me people who still follow them are the ones to blame. While they might not be doing the actual crimes they support them, and there are plenty of criminals charges for people that do the same to criminals who have to worry about being arrested.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'm not here to defend the actions of the Church in any way, shape or form. It just struck me as odd as how can one dismiss a "God" yet still refer to something as being closer to "Satan"? Are these not opposite ends of the spectrum from each other?

Agreed. I do refer to god though too and he is fictitious as well. I am just saying in the beliefs of the religious people the church follows the actions of their so called Satan way before their saviour Christ.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I don't judge atheists by looking to Stalin, please don't judge Christianity by looking at anyone other than Jesus

Don't judge christianity by christians?! That's ridiculous, especially since Jesus is dead, and many christians today don't follow his teachings anyway.

As for atheists, if you could find one that sees Stalin as an atheist leader you might have a point- but there aren't any so you don't.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is just another thread to pull out,"in god we trust." once god is pulled out, guess what folks, it's called in government we trust. That is one ugly "slippery slope" no one wants to go down

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear predator0187,

Please read my words again, read any of my posts and tell me where I have ever promoted hatred. Please tell me where I have attacked people because they had committed sins, please tell me where I have said that all non-believers go to hell, please tell me where I have told anyone to follow an organization rather than follow Jesus's words or get off my back. I have as much right to believe in Jesus as you have to believe that nobody matters, for me, everyone matters. By the way, I have more proof that Jesus existed than you have that we are meaningless. Peace.
edit on 25-1-2012 by AQuestion because: (no reason given)

That's what I mean though, I am sure you are a nice and rational person with solid values in good moral standing, now how can you follow such a tainted and hateful religion?

I will never say you spread hatred personally, but by supporting the church that you do that spreads hatred you inadvertently spread that hatred by supporting the beast.

As I said I do not dislike the followers I hate the religion.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The problem with the high quality genuine article of Christianity is the cheap knockoffs that come from it. The modern bargain basement religions that flood the spiritual industry are what offend the religionistas the most.

For example, I think it's a Christian knockoff when you believe in Jesus, and yet you ask Saint Death to intercede on your behalf.

Whatever Chrisitianity it is, it certainly is very profitable.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by allprowolfy
This is just another thread to pull out,"in god we trust." once god is pulled out, guess what folks, it's called in government we trust. That is one ugly "slippery slope" no one wants to go down

What?

Because we dispose of god we have to believe in government?

How about belief in oneself? Why do we need a entity to believe in? There is absolutely no reason we need to use anything as a crutch.

We are strong enough people by ourselves and most of us don't need to be threatened to be good people. We don't need the thought of burning in he'll to do the right thing, we just do it because it's right.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Religion impedes the overall intelligence level of humanity by dumbing down people into believing illogical delusions of creation and intelligent design when the scientific conclusions reached from a wide variety of evidence say evolution is what brought us here.

People believe those wild fairy tales, raise their kids to believe those same things, and demand that their schools teach other kids that insane concept of creation. I know this is a little off-topic, but it definitely ties into one of the biggest reasons that religions is detrimental to society.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Religion impedes the overall intelligence level of humanity by dumbing down people into believing illogical delusions of creation and intelligent design when the scientific conclusions reached from a wide variety of evidence say evolution is what brought us here.

People believe those wild fairy tales, raise their kids to believe those same things, and demand that their schools teach other kids that insane concept of creation. I know this is a little off-topic, but it definitely ties into one of the biggest reasons that religions is detrimental to society.

Not off topic at all and I agree completely.

Now if more people would see this we could get somewhere.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Dear predator0187,

I don't support a church, I preach at one and I was recruited and my message is the same. Our mission is to feed the homeless and poor. I have also known missionaries who risked their life just to help others. I actively promote pacifism and service and I hate to be lumped in with those who I actively combat for their lies about the word (this is a reference to those who call themselves Christians and are not). Bigotry is bigotry, it is the lumping of all within a group by using the worst examples.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join