It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you downloading torrents? Then you should know this.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Repent all ye... Repent!!!!!

edit on 25-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by demoncleaner

And no one cares if you upload 15mb, Thats what I say i dont give a flying monkey butt about rich people

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

Yes a member in this thread and many others defending the industry and all that jazz

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I dont see how you can hide your ip from your internet provider. It is going through their pipe to get to you ? The only way I can see is to use a secure tunnel to a proxy from your computer. Anyone know if thats correct ?

Anyways, the way I see it people get real advertising VS false advertising... how many times has someone watched a trailer and went to see the movie, only to learn that the trailer was misleading, or even that the trailer was a complete lie ?... thats false advertising. Its like selling a car with a feature, but it dosnt have that feature... which they do anyways but just using a solid example. AWD for one, is a all around catch phrase, as soon as people hear it they think "WOW, AWD!, I will go off roading in this thing!"....

PS: What if these super hackers get their satellite online, wont it make it difficult for the feds ?, whats the jurisdiction in space ?

edit on 25-1-2012 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2012 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I download torrents a few times a month, usually books I can't afford- I can't afford a 100$ textbook on a subject I'm interested in. Occasionally games, but if I like the game, I'll buy it. For instance, I downloaded Minecraft months ago, played it for a month, than decided to go ahead and pay the $20 to purchase it. I would never have paid the 20 bucks for it, if I had not been able to try it out first. Keep in mind that I make 9$ and hour and am only working part time right now. Do I download music? Yes, usually off of youtube by using a downloader program to download the MP3 file. Artist barely make anything off of selling the music anyways, most is made through merchandising, concerts and commercial work. TV shows....I watch netflix anyways.

*guess I should go ahead and change my heading and avatar...
edit on 25-1-2012 by JJRichey because: edit edit edit baby!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This is most definitely a scam.

I remember about two years ago we got a letter from a firm called ATS: Law saying we had downloaded about 10 films illegally through torrents and that we had to pay a 4k fine.

We had never downloaded any films. So we did a bit of research and it turned out we weren't the only ones tnat got this scam letter.

Just last week this was in the news... ATS: Law founder suspended

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
reply to post by SethGecko

So if I follow your logic; it is ok to Steal something you don't like (which is completely subjective) but not something you do like?

I am always amused at the way people try to justify theft (piracy) of any product.

so... im assuming you loaded up an art program and created your avatar... right?

right?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

You can hide your IP address all you want to across the internet, but it isn't gonna stop your ISP from seeing the amount of bandwidth you use.

Plus...you can use traffic monitoring if you have a starting point to see where you are going. Either end is open info...its the stuff in the middle of a VPN like Tor that's encrypted. So yes...if they see you using lot's of bandwidth, it isn't hard to check and watch you download it.
edit on 25-1-2012 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

the amount of traffic you use is moot if you have a large household that uses a lot of bandwidth. if you have many people that typically use netflix, youtube, etc etc. none of it is illegal and they all use more than the average amount of bandwidth.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

So if I follow your logic; it is ok to Steal something you don't like (which is completely subjective) but not something you do like?

I am always amused at the way people try to justify theft (piracy) of any product.

Well said. It amazes me how people try to justify theft, simply because it 'appears' harmless from their end.
I often wonder if these people would mind computer programmers, musicians, and movie directors slipping into their houses while they're not at home and stealing their jewelry and electronics...
I bet they'd be on the phone to the police in no time at all lol!!

again i ask

is that an avatar you created, or is that really someone elses intellectual property

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
Not afraid here because nothing is policed in the third world

No worries here in Crete, Greece either

Ko3

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by goochball

Downloading torrents is like masturbating near an open window.

You either don't care if someone sees you, or you take action and close your curtains.

lol, you left your windows open, and someone saw you... that is all

edit on 25-1-2012 by mainidh because: freudian slip right there I think lmao

Very funny, subject explained very simply yet rather well, star and flag for you

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
I dont see how you can hide your ip from your internet provider. It is going through their pipe to get to you ? The only way I can see is to use a secure tunnel to a proxy from your computer. Anyone know if thats correct ?

That is correct. By using a proxy your ISP only sees your proxie's IP adress. Of course it's best to use a VPN Proxy so your traffic is encrypted.
edit on 25-1-2012 by Taz2122 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Piracy is theft??

So copying a movie 1000 times is the same as stealing a car 1000 times?

If piracy is the same as theft, the original car was copied 1000 times, and the owner still got his car. Nice!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I've had 2 notices, one for a popular new release, the other for some crappy chick flick the gf wanted. That was a few years ago now, haven't had anymore problems since I moved to private trackers and seedboxes in the eastern bloc that are setup to log absolutely nothing. I don't have any torrenting software or torrent files on my machine, and traffic between my machine and the seedbox is fully encrypted. If you wanted to be super paranoid you could use tor + a live CD to download from the seedbox...all traffic in and out is fully encrypted with a random exit point (IP), and everything is stored in RAM so the next time you reboot your machine, all trace of your activities is gone.

Disclaimer: I am in no way promoting/encouraging piracy, but I think it's important for people to know how to protect their privacy... (hint: 1st step is don't create a facebook/google+/hi5/bebo/twitter account...)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'd love to see how the ISP's can tell the difference between illegal file sharing and creating a back up of a product you've already purchased?

And what if a publishers allows you to pirate their product? Is that illegal?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by demoncleaner
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

But its impossible to download without uploading, the minimum upload rate you can set is 0.1 mb.

Arrgggg me maties.

I think they mean initial seeding... Like seeding first the whole file then the leachers join onto you then they start to seed.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Really not causing any real damage...

anyway dont they have real criminals to go after....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I have always Loved this video.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

not scams...mediacom service and verizon do send out letters asking people to stop downloading.

You get one warning, then a fine and if you continue you will be disconnected. Why would you think these are hoaxes?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I'd love to see how the ISP's can tell the difference between illegal file sharing and creating a back up of a product you've already purchased?

And what if a publishers allows you to pirate their product? Is that illegal?

I received an email about 2 months ago warning me about downloading a specific torrent from pirate bay.

I have downloaded from other sites but they said nothing about the other sites. Just warned me about a specific torrent from piratebay.

So, there's no doubt they monitor network traffic coming out of the piratebay domain.

And they know exactly where it's going since they are in charge of your IP's.

....also ...I used a blocker ..... and it's clearly useless
edit on 25-1-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join